Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite Radio Install

It seems the search feature is not working at all for the site.

I wanna know if anyone has satellite XM or SIRIUS installed in their 2nd Gen TL and any tips and tricks on what works best. I am expecting my tax refund and after driving a loaner with XM I am interested in installing one in my car.

I have a 99 with Nav...Need ideas on where I can install it...sunglass holder maybe? Do the FM modulators work good or there are better kinds..? Where to install the antenna for good reception and neatness...? How's XM different from SIRIUS now..? Any suggestions and pics welcome.

I have seen a few posts for radar detectors but none for satellite radio. any negativity..?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced

You can use Google to search... it'll bring up AZine hits.

I've had Sirius in my car for almost 3 years now and the display is mounted in my sunglass holder (which I really like, I can hide it if I want)

The FM modulators will work but you tend to have more noise in the sound and if you drive too close to a radio tower it'll overpower the signal. I had it both ways and a direct connection is the only way to go, especially if you plan on keeping it for awhile.

As far as the antenna goes.. it all depends on what you are will to do and what look you are going for. Mine is mounted in the area between the sunroof and windshield, centered on the car.. I didn't put it there, Circuit City did, but it's okay for now. Some people run theirs back to the rear of the roof and I believe someone here mounted his in the 3rd brake light housing..

For the differences between the two, now that they have merged into 1 company, there isn't a lot. When I bought mine - I liked the music selection the channels played better and there were no commercials ( I was told back then that XM had commercials - I dunno) Now you can have XM and add 'the best of Sirius' or have Sirius and add XM.

Negativity... I don't listen to my CD player anymore and I couldn't tell you any of the local channels... if that's a negative.. personally, it's why I got the radio in the first place.

I do have a couple of pics if you want to see them, PM your e-mail and I'll be glad to send them.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Thanks Hondanutty. It looks like you have just the setup I need. I was considering the Sportster 5 for the sunglass holder (Sirius) not sure if its size will fit; or the SKYFi3 (XM) for an iPod like install next to the stereo, passenger side knee kick. I will PM you in a sec.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ive had sirius for probably 5 years now (had xm as well and much prefer sirius) I have a aftermarket HU so its built in but i also have the sprotster5 for the wife. Im not sure the sportster would fit in the sunglass holder. It may be close because of the knob. I would get a mount and mount it just to the right of the radio if it didnt.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Advanced

I got around to finding my account on flickr.. didn't have time before I went to work this am..

The first picture is just showing what the radio displays when using a blitzsafe direct connect - the radio thinks that you have a trunk mounted cd changer thus the 1-99 in the display.
I had every intention of triming down the sunglass holder so that the plastic wouldn't be in the way, but I got lazy and then it didn't seem like such a big deal...
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hondanutty; 02-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Advanced

Another option for you.

I have a Sirius Status 4 and I used a Pro-fit set-up with a tape deck adapter. The power and antenna wires are tucked under the wood trim. Power cable runs under the center console to the cigarette lighter in the center armrest. The antenna wire runs behind the glove box, under the front and rear passenger side door sills, under the rear bench seat and back up to the rear deck where the antenna puck sits next to the rear brake light.

Pro-fit parts (http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/) are:
AC-54-99 (mounting bracket, swivel attaches to this)
EZ-1026 (swivel, the radio dock mounts to this)

Link to the install instructions:
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/AC-54-99.pdf

Best thing about the set-up is if you decide to go another route (ie. MP3 or iPod), you already have a mounting bracket. You just need to get a new device holder. The swivel has standard hole patterns and slots to accommodate most everything.

Here is a picture of the set-up (best pic I could find)
Old 02-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Instructor

This forum rules! Now I am just waiting on Uncle Sam to pay me what I am due, and I'll post what I got.