satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
satellite radio

Does anyone have this in their cars yet? I was thinking to get Sirius put in my car. But where the f*ck can you put the face so that it looks clean. I was looking at the kenwood modulated peice.

Another option was getting a kenwood navi system and doing a conversion in my car....$$$$
Old 11-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I have XM RADIO in my 2000 TL & have had it about 6 months now. I went with the Pioneer FM modulater unit hooked to the factory radio. This was because I have factory Navi, 6D CD Changer mounted in trunk & the single in the factory head unit.
I did not wan't to change the BOSE set-up or spring for the cost for everything new. The sound is quite nice but I am sure the AM/FM/XM ready head units sound much better. Everybody that gets into the car now loves the music that XM is playing. I took 2 long road trips back in September. I put over 2,300 miles on my car in one week. I went from Washington D.C. to the mountains of upstate New York & from D.C to coastal North Carolina. I had no trouble at all with any drop outs on either trip. I mostly listen to the same channel #60 Soul Street on each trip. I rarley listen to FM radio or even my Cds. I have not purchased any since I got XM. The little FM modulator control unit is mounted under my factory radio. It is held on by velcro it looks like part of the factory radio. The other part is mounted in the trunk of my car. The only problems I had was with the antenna. I had the Terk roof mount ant at first. It worked for awhile & then the control unit had a message that said antenna & I had no sound. Then they changed it because it was a early production model. The system worked about 2 weeks & the unit would send message that said ANT & switch between the music ID/music artist/song title but I had sound. It did this intermitent. They then changed the unit in the trunk. I had thethe same thing happen again a week later. We could not figure out the problem. This happen for the first month that I had XM. When they put a new Pioneer ANT on the problem went away. So from mid August til the present time the radio has been playing trouble free. The Terk ant has very small connectors & the wire is very thin. The Pioneer wire is alot thicker so this was the cause of my early problems. I like the Pioneer Ant because I can take it off if I wan't. I has 2 ways to mount it magnetic or it has a bracket that screws to the underside of the trunck. I use the bracket. But I just love XM radio & its well worth the $10.00 a month fee that I pay quarterly. This is about $32.00 every 3 months.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM is much better than sirius........i've had the fm-modulated Pioneer system in my first gen for about 6 months now with the terk roof-mount antenna and have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.........its well worth the $10 a month that i pay.......i hardly ever listen to cds anymore so that saves me even more $$$
Old 12-03-2002, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by CLevr098
XM is much better than sirius........i've had the fm-modulated Pioneer system in my first gen for about 6 months now with the terk roof-mount antenna and have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.........its well worth the $10 a month that i pay.......i hardly ever listen to cds anymore so that saves me even more $$$
FM MODULATOR basically defeats the PURPOSE of XM or other digital radio/cd changers hooked up through this method!!!

Here's why... XM or Sirius is almost as good as CD or identical in terms of frequency response, sound quality, etc.

FM has limits in its frequency range!

If possible can't you just buy something called either A) an input creator or B) the thingy that lets you press the CD button twice to activate the input through RCA cables????
Old 12-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Racer

I have the sirius satelite radio but it is hooked up through my KVT-911DVD.
MY INSTALL