Running power wires to trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running power wires to trunk

I have a 2004 TSX Navi. I plan to install a computer in my trunk, and the one thing I can't figure out is how to get power wires in the trunk. I would need 3 wires:

1) ground
2) 12V always on
3) 12V switched by ignition

Getting ground is obviously easy, but I don't know how to get the power wires. Are there pre-existing outlets I can attach to? (they would have to be able to handle an additional ~10 amps) Can I splice some of the wires going to the Navi unit? Do I need to run new wires straight from the battery? How hard would it be to do this, or should I just pay a professional to run the wires? I know several people here have done stuff like this so any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:35 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Personally I would treat it like an amp install, and run a 10GA wire to the trunk from the battery with constant power. Put a fuseholder at the point of connection. Personally, I wouldn't go to the battery (+) terminal, but to the big stud on the inside of the FB near the long tab on the cover. Put the fuseholder within 12 inches of the terminal for safety. I cover the wire and FH end in black flex tube avaialble at Home Depot, and electrical tape, to make it look factory (look around the engine compartment).

I choose not to go through the firewall. Turn the wheel all the way to the left. Take off the aft 3-4 plastic inner fender fastners (some are screws, some are xmas trees). One of these might break. (It helps if you heat them up a little this time of year with a hair dryer before removal - softens them up - also makes the inner fender easier to work with).

Take your 10GA wire and shove it under the Driver's side plastic trim at the edge of the engine compartment. The wire will drop into the inner fender space.

Reach up behnd the inner fender and above the driver's side fuse box location in the kick and find your wire. Then feel the kick panel area, and find a rubber plug about 1-1/2 inches around.

Push it into the kick panel area (don't lose it behind the FB). Take it out from the compartment side, and cut a 1/4 inch X in the center with a knife.

Then push your wire all the way through the hole. Push the wire through the plug, and slide it up the wire, and reinsert it. Make sure to put it over the wire right so it will go back in!

That's how to get the wire into the kick. The running boards and the other places I leave as an exercise for ya: ) But there's room in there, for sure!

The navi in the trunk has some 12V ACC (switched) wire on it. Using a voltmeter, you can find it easily. Use that one if your ACC has very little draw. If it has close to 10A draw, wire a standard automotive relay to create your own switched ACC without much load on the small ACC wire at the navi unit.

85-GND
86 - (+)12V ACC at Navi
87 - 12V BAT (your new wire)
30 - Your new High-current ACC output!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bswartz
I have a 2004 TSX Navi. I plan to install a computer in my trunk, and the one thing I can't figure out is how to get power wires in the trunk. I would need 3 wires:

1) ground
2) 12V always on
3) 12V switched by ignition

Getting ground is obviously easy, but I don't know how to get the power wires. Are there pre-existing outlets I can attach to? (they would have to be able to handle an additional ~10 amps) Can I splice some of the wires going to the Navi unit? Do I need to run new wires straight from the battery? How hard would it be to do this, or should I just pay a professional to run the wires? I know several people here have done stuff like this so any pointers would be appreciated.
Yeah like elduderino said, use a 10ga. If you are going to use a opus power supply you need good power otherwise it doesn't always shut down correctly.
JT
Old 11-01-2004, 07:45 PM
ABP TSX

Excellent write up.

~sticky~ or perhpas FAQ
Old 11-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you choose to go through the firewall, I wrote a few tips and posted them in the FAQ section here (See post #5): https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...702#post212702