Remote Start and Stock Alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:31 PM
bluLEGEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start and Stock Alarm question

If you have a remote start system, say the Compustar FM or SS starter only, does the factory alarm remain armed when the car is remote started? ie. Do you have to disarm the alarm still to get into the car?

I don't want to get a full new alarm so I was wondering this because if someone gets into the car they can still drive it off without pressing the brake by simply using the shift-lock release next to the shifter. So if the alarm will still go off even after the car has been remote started that will be good.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not sure about that model, I have a Clifford and it does disable the remote alarm after the car is started, Once you press the brake, though, the car shuts off and the alarm is reset unless the key is in the ignition.

The thing to remeber is that the steering wheel is still locked unless you have the key
Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Banned

Your local dealer normally has a guy who installs after market alarms/remote starters who is able too properly interface the two. So give a few of them a call until you find one.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

in studying the wiring of the 99 tl i have come across this: there is a wire that when sent a negative signal will allow for the alarm to be disabled to start the car but still keep the doors locked. I would tell you what color the wire is and it's location but i left the info at work, unfortunately.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:25 AM
bluLEGEND

Also, anyone familiar with the Compustar remotes? Exactly how much larger is the SS compared to the FM and how is battery life for each? Possibly compare the remote to the Acura 2002 keyfob as well.

I would like to be able to start my car from my apartment but I live in a tower and my car is in a connected garage. I'm on the 18th floor facing opposite of the garage and the garage is 5 stories high and I park on the 3rd usually. Anyone have any clue if either unit could work for me? I know this is a difficult question but I would just like an answer along the lines of whether either unit has any chance of working.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

when you do a remote start on most vehicles( if not all) with a factory alarm there is a wire somewhere in the car ( most of the time the door and it is a factory alarm disarm *no unlock* so it just disarms the factory system while it is remote started
Old 01-15-2004, 10:04 PM
9th Gear

another remote starter question

I'm planning on having the Clifford Matrix RS2.21 installed which is the car alarm and remote starter.

The question I have is during the installing, when they use either the valet key and/or bypass to enable the car to start (i.e., the chip within the key is needed) and the key is buried somewhere in the dash, does this mean that anyone who has either a unprogrammed copy key (one that is made at a hardware store) without the chip, can stick the key in the ignition and drive off? The chip has already been activated by the remote so is this possible?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: another remote starter question

Originally posted by RLSKIS
I'm planning on having the Clifford Matrix RS2.21 installed which is the car alarm and remote starter.

The question I have is during the installing, when they use either the valet key and/or bypass to enable the car to start (i.e., the chip within the key is needed) and the key is buried somewhere in the dash, does this mean that anyone who has either a unprogrammed copy key (one that is made at a hardware store) without the chip, can stick the key in the ignition and drive off? The chip has already been activated by the remote so is this possible?

Thanks

hmmm very good question, technically they could drive away but they woule ahve to unhook the brake shutdown wire. the brake shutdown wire just takes a signal when the brake is pressed to put the car in gear. soo technically someone could do this but they would have to find this wire from the alarm , also the car wont run forever so they would only have a littlebit of time ( usually 24 minutes ) to get the car away