Recommended Component Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Recommended Component Speakers

Hi, I currently have a Pioneer AVH-P6500DVD headunit, (2) JL Audio 12W6V2's powered by a JL Audio 1000/1 amp, and now I'm looking at upgrading all of my component speakers (doors, rear, etc.) I'm looking to keep the whole thing under $1000 (including the amplifier that I'll have to buy) and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which components would fit/sound best with my current set up. Thanks in advance!

-Brian
Old 11-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too personal a question to answer: go out and listen to find out what sounds good to you. ditch the rear speakers though, spend more on a better 2 channel amp than a 4 channel amp, and more on the components/coaxes in the front. enjoy the search. i did untill i discovered dynaudio, then the budget was out the window, because i had to have them. jps
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jpswanberg
too personal a question to answer: go out and listen to find out what sounds good to you. ditch the rear speakers though, spend more on a better 2 channel amp than a 4 channel amp, and more on the components/coaxes in the front. enjoy the search. i did untill i discovered dynaudio, then the budget was out the window, because i had to have them. jps

agreed, speakers are totally personal preference

Unless you have people in the back of your car a lot I would focus mainly on the fronts. Hell, even if there are people in the back a lot, who are you buying speakers for? Anyway, there are a lot of really nice components for the $400-$500 range which should leave you enough to buy rears for fill and an amp.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Pleasure Unit

Street Effectz installed my DLS system a few months back and his recommendation was to leave the stock rear door speakers powered by the head unit (at a super low level) and spend all my effort on the front components - which turned out to be right on the money. I ended up getting the top of the line DLS components because I didn't need to spend a dime on the rear speakers - it was more than worth it.

Keep that in mind when you decide on your best options.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned

Paul_huryk, are you talking about not upgrading the rear door speakers, or the rear 6x9 speakers? If you're talking about the rear door speakers, then what would you suggest for the 6x9's?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Racer

With that $1000 budget of yours, use about $140 of that to get sound deadener. I recommend getting Raammat (62.5sq ft) for $129+shipping. A single roll is enough to deaden the whole door (2 layers), while still having enough for the trunk. Believe me. I used a total of 5 layers on each front door) and I still have half the roll left

While spending money on equipment is nice, a nice installation is always worth it.

$500 speakers with no deadening material in a crappy install is going to sound worse than a $400 speaker set with proper deadening.

Midbass output is increased and midrange clears up do to less vibration.

I think the general message here is do not even touch the rear speakers. Upgrade the fronts because that's where you'll be. Many times, your passenger in the back will not care about sound quality. Even if they are big on sound quality, they would know rear speakers aren't worth upgrading (not even worth having).
Old 11-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Pleasure Unit

Originally Posted by bdv687
Paul_huryk, are you talking about not upgrading the rear door speakers, or the rear 6x9 speakers? If you're talking about the rear door speakers, then what would you suggest for the 6x9's?
I think the rears are 6.5" round speakers in the doors of the 99 to 03 TL - not sure since I ignored them completely.

I agree with the sound deadening, although it is only going to optimize what you already have - make sure you get good speakers. No reason to polish a turd (if you buy so-so speakers).
Old 11-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Ok, thanks very much guys. My final question would be, for the front door speakers, what are the easiest (or most convenient to install, any direct drop-ins or anything??) that will give me the best sound quality??
Old 12-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Banned

anyone??
Old 12-06-2005, 06:11 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Nothing is straight drop in in the F doors because of the OEM integral spacers.

YOu need a spacer stack that makes a 1-1/8 total thickness with foam tape on the front to get a seal for best midbass.

And I'd get the DLS UP6. Oh, wait, I did.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
Nothing is straight drop in in the F doors because of the OEM integral spacers.

YOu need a spacer stack that makes a 1-1/8 total thickness with foam tape on the front to get a seal for best midbass.

And I'd get the DLS UP6. Oh, wait, I did.

:shakehead Naw, it couldn't be him.

Hey, eld, welcome back.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bdv687
Ok, thanks very much guys. My final question would be, for the front door speakers, what are the easiest (or most convenient to install, any direct drop-ins or anything??) that will give me the best sound quality??
If you want to install a 6.5 inch speaker in the doors, you will have to cut the door some with some tin snips because the stock speaker is 6 inches. Other than that, its very straight forward, but you need to look for a speaker that is relatively shallow (depth) because there is not much space in the doors for a large magnet - you can make a spacer to accomodate a deeper speaker if you want to.

I have Focal components in the front and rear. I agree with everyone else on here (I didnt really know when I did it) but dont worry about the rear speakers cause you cant hear them anyway. But if you already have a 4 channel amp, you can put some decent speakers back there for sound for the rear passengers but spend the most on your front speakers.

anyway, my Focals are the "slim" line and I did that so I could just mount them directly to the door w/o making a spacer (of course with many layers of Dynamat on the door first). I know the Kenwood Excelon speakers are pretty shallow also
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
6 and 6.5 are interchangeable to many companies, unfortunately...