Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Speakers

The audio dealer says that the Bose speakers (in the doors) in my TL-S cannot be powered by an external amplifier or by a different head unit because they have special low level inputs on them. So you need to replace them if you get a new head unit or amplifier. Is this true? I just want to use the rear speakers as back fill with my new head unit.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOTAL B.S.

It's TOTAL B.S.

Most of these audio shops don't have a clue as to what they are doing... (Exception, Streeteffectz)

Mathemtatically, The stock Headunit only puts out around 18Watts rms. Therefore, the stock BOSE speakers are a very efficient design. They have a relatively large output for the signal level fed to them. However, they are only efficient at midrange frequencies... they only make decent audio in the midrange. They have NO HIGHS!

Having said all of that, they are STANDARD 4OHM SPEAKERS! BOSE has used some 1OHM and 2OHM speakers in other systems, but our 2002/2003 TL-S system uses 4ohm speakers.

SO, if you replace the head unit, you can still drive these stock speakers. If they were 1ohm or 2ohm speakers than you wouldn't be able to drive them with an aftermarket amp because of the extreme low impedance. The issue of concern in that case WOULD BE THE AMP, NOT THE SPEAKERS! Most amps don't like to see a load below 4ohms without destroying its output circuitry, or going into a self protection current limiting mode.

AGAIN THESE STOCK BOSE SPEAKERS ARE JUST CHEAP 4OHM SPEAKERS! Therefore ANY amplifier can safely drive them. The issue that you will run into is the SAME issue that you would run into with ANY CHEAP speaker. They will distort at some point before a better grade speaker would. Where that point is... We don't know, because our stock amp only puts out 18Watts. When you get a more powerful aftermarket amp installed, there will be some point at which the stock BOSE speakers begin to distort. Trial and Error will determine where that point acutally is. When you find it, you can either "FADE" the signal more up front, or you can then replace the rear spakers with better ones. My guess is that they will hold up just fine as rear fill. If not, remember they are just cheap 4ohm speakers. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE WAY THEY ARE FED, except that there is an automatic EQ circuit involved with the stock head unit that really boosts the high frequency response to them. SO you might find that their high frequency repsonse falls off even more with a n aftermarket amp... but the statement about a special low level input involved with them is COMPLETELY FALSE!

Buy an aftermarket amp and see how they sound... then decide if you want to replace them. BUT if I went to the effort of replacing the Head Unit, I would probably replace the crappy BOSE speakers at that point... NOT OUT OF NECESSITY, BUT JUST FOR QUALITY SAKE.

Sorry for the rant, but I HATE bogus advice from car dealers and audio shop jokers. (Again, no offense, StreetEffectz)read my LONG "speakers" thread if you have a week, and really want to learn about the stock system.
Southbound