TSX: A Real iPod Solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Real iPod Solution

So I’m looking for a NEW solution to fully integrate my iPod in my 08 TSX w/nav. Currently I use the iSimple which I feel is a half ass attempt at integrating the iPod. The sound quality is sub par to that of CD sound, the device itself (even with the latest software) still requires audio mode cycling to get the navi screen to display properly, and lastly, it does not fully utilize the screen display. So that being the case this is what im looking for with a new solution in integrating the iPod

1. Most importantly - I want sound quality equal to that of the CD player
2. I want full use of the steering wheel controls to advance the track and adjust the volume.
3. I want the Artist, and Song name displayed on the screen.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can fully integrate the iPod with the above criteria? I’m open to ANY ideas…..

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a full list of the auxillary input options in the DIY thread if you want to do research.

You do realize your MP3's are a compressed and degraded version of a cd, right? I doubt it's the unit and suspect it's your MP3 collection.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Generally the Ipod adapters are limited by the abilities of the factory radio they are being hooked up to. I doubt another brand will have better control capabilities.

Jonesi: The Ipod compression is lossless which means that it is fully uncompressed to it's original state. If the music was originally in MP3 format, then you are correct that there would be some degradation. However CD's transferred into into Itunes or purchased from their store should be CD quality when played. Manville Smith of JL Audio uses his Ipod as a source for demo music all the time when demonstrating their vehicles.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Addict

Originally Posted by Steven Kephart

Jonesi: The Ipod compression is lossless which means that it is fully uncompressed to it's original state.

This is 100% correct. 99% of the songs on my iPod are 320kbs.

Generally the Ipod adapters are limited by the abilities of the factory radio they are being hooked up to. I doubt another brand will have better control capabilities.

This is what i figured. Thats why im here asking around for any solutions.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Jonesi: The Ipod compression is lossless which means that it is fully uncompressed to it's original state. If the music was originally in MP3 format, then you are correct that there would be some degradation. However CD's transferred into into Itunes or purchased from their store should be CD quality when played. Manville Smith of JL Audio uses his Ipod as a source for demo music all the time when demonstrating their vehicles.
iTMS is 128bit ACC, it's lossy, unless you actually change iTunes to use Apple Lossless you will be compressing with a lossy encoder. AAC is said to be a better quality at the same bit rate as MP3, but it's not lossless.

However if racecarbox616 is at 320kb/s AAC/MP3 he shouldn't be hearing much degradation.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Addict

I am at 320kb/s AAC/MP3

It has to be the iSiimple causing the quality issue, because when i plug my iPod into the Aux outlet the sound is as good as a CD.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by racecarbox616
I am at 320kb/s AAC/MP3

It has to be the iSiimple causing the quality issue, because when i plug my iPod into the Aux outlet the sound is as good as a CD.
also check any cables/connections and maybe swap them out if you can.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leftride
iTMS is 128bit ACC, it's lossy, unless you actually change iTunes to use Apple Lossless you will be compressing with a lossy encoder. AAC is said to be a better quality at the same bit rate as MP3, but it's not lossless.

However if racecarbox616 is at 320kb/s AAC/MP3 he shouldn't be hearing much degradation.

most people don't change any of the settings or "download" degraded MP3's. The way he seemed to be so focused on the "quality" I assumed there was something off on the MP3 collection.

The only time I've heard a complaint about quality has been with FM transmitters. I don't think I've heard a complaint on a PnP unit.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Addict

Originally Posted by Jonesi

The only time I've heard a complaint about quality has been with FM transmitters. I don't think I've heard a complaint on a PnP unit.

There is a definite loss of quality using the iSimple vs a CD for those of us who have an ear for music or who have upgraded the speaker system. I have contacted Tony at peripheral elections numerous times and he claims the gain has been turned up the entire way in the software on the device. There must be some sort of filter either in the iSimple or through the XM setting on our head units.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 PM
5th Gear

how do we get the tag information if we connect an ipod using an aux cable?