Question re 01CL and Alpine harness w/ aftermarket harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re 01CL and Alpine harness w/ aftermarket harness

I just got my Alpine 9851, along with the Alpine/Acura aftermarket wiring harness, and have a couple questions. The harness that came with the Alpine has 8 individual wires for + and - for each speaker. The aftermarket harness comes with 4 RCA-type connectors for each of the speakers. Do I understand correctly that I'll have to cut off those RCA connectors and solder those wires to the Alpine harness?

Also, there are some wires, such as the "dimmer" and "power antenna" which have no function, so it's safe to just seal them off?

Finally, the Alpine harness has a ground wire with a metal "C" clip at the end, and the aftermarket harness has a bare ground wire. Do those two wires get soldered together, or individually grounded to the chassis?

'01
Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never heard of a harness for a deck having rca's.

the deck should have a few sets of rca's

never heard of that though. got any pics?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Advanced

I'll post some pics of the alpine headunit, alpine harness, and alpine/acura harness tomorrow morning. Don't have access to a camera right now.

'01
Old 02-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Ok, sorry for the large size images. I didn't have time to edit them down and I figured this would preserve the detail.

The first picture is the harness that came with the Alpine 9851. The wires, from top to bottom, are:

green: left rear speaker +
green/black: left rear speaker -
yellow: battery
black: ground
white: left front speaker +
white/black: left front speaker -
purple: right rear speaker +
purple/black: right rear speaker -
grey: right front speaker +
grey/black: right front speaker -
blue/white: remote turn-on
blue: power antenna
orange: illumination
red: ignition
pink: audio interrupt in

This second picture is the aftermarket Alpine-to-Acura harness that Crutchfield supplied with the headunit. The wires, from top to bottom, are as follows:

white RCA plug: left front speaker (at the base, where it connects to the socket, it has a white wire and black wire, which correspond to the white and white/black in the top photo)
grey RCA plug: right front speaker (at the base it has a grey wire and black wire, which correspond to the grey and grey/black in the top photo)
black: ground
yellow: 12V constant power
orange/white: dimmer
orange: illumination
red: 12V switched power
blue/white: amplifier turn-on
green RCA: left rear speaker (at the base it has a green wire and black wire, which correspond to the green and green/black in the top photo)
purple RCA: right rear speaker (at the base it has a purple wire and black wire, which correspond to the purple and purple/black in the top photo)

So, here are my questions:

1. In the top photo, the black Ground wire ends in a metal "C" connector. Does that C connector get connected to the black ground wire in the bottom picture, or do they both get grounded individually to the car chassis?
2. In the top photo, what does the blue/white Remote Turn-On wire get connected to, if anything, or does it just get sealed off (unused)?
3. In the top photo, does the blue Power Antenna wire just get sealed off (unused), since our cars don't have a power antenna?
4. In the top photo, does the pink Audio Interrupt In get sealed off (unused)? What is this wire for in the first place?

5. In the bottom photo, what does the orange/white Dimmer wire get connected to? Our stock stereo in the '01CL doesn't have a dimmer function... But then why would that wire be on this harness if it's for an Acura '01CL?
6. In the bottom photo, each of the RCA plugs consists of a pair of wires that match the speaker wires in the top photo. So, am I assuming correctly that I have to cut the RCA connectors off and use the wires inside to splice into the wires from the top photo for each speaker?

7. Other than that, yellow goes to yellow, red goes to red, orange goes to orange, and so on, right...?

8. Did Crutchfield send me the wrong aftermarket harness?

'01
Old 02-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Advanced

I talked to one of the installation support people at Crutchfield and he said the 4 RCA's get plugged directly into the back of the headunit, and the 8 corresponding wires on the Alpine harness should just be sealed off.

He also recommended that the 2 black ground wires get soldered or crimped together, rather than grounding them individually to the chassis.

'01
Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
3 the Hard Way

I'm going to be installing my 9835 in a few days.

After you got the wire issue cleared up, did everything run smooth?
Did you use that ICElink ipod tutorial thing to get your original stero out (if not, then how'd you do it)?
And if you used a metra dash kit, how did you put it in?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 AM
3 the Hard Way

I put in the Alpine over the weekend. It sounds OK, but there seems to be a slight hissing between tracks. I don't know if that's because of the stock amp or what, but it'll do for now until I replace the stock amp with a nice aftermarket amp and component system for the front. I miss my steering wheel controls, but not for $80 - maybe later down the line.

First, I need some subs. I'm trying to use as little space in the trunk as possible. What would take up less space, a 12 or 2 10's (with their respective matching enclosures).