Question for Mercman

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Mercman

Hey Merc, I'm interested in buying one of your harnesses but I just wanted to know first which amps would work with your harness. I know you said something about JLs and Rockfords but I'm sure you don't mean any of them right? Which models specifically will work? I'm looking on their websites and having trouble figuring out which amps have the differential inputs. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Also.......

Also, which harness would I use to wire up the Amp to the speakers? I've read somewhere on these forums that the Civic Amp Bypass Harness from Cruthfield would work but wouldn't I need more outputs then that? Doesn't the Civic only have four speakers as opposed to the TSX's eight speakers?

Or is there a crossover somewhere between the amp and the speakers? Like a HPF for the front tweeter and a LPF for the rear 6x9 Subs?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by XxxFrostyxxX
Also, which harness would I use to wire up the Amp to the speakers? I've read somewhere on these forums that the Civic Amp Bypass Harness from Cruthfield would work but wouldn't I need more outputs then that? Doesn't the Civic only have four speakers as opposed to the TSX's eight speakers?
Hey, I'm in the process of installing amps with merc's harness and the civic harness. The civic harness plugs into the 20 pin factory harness, and the civic harness has 14 pins...meaning it does 7 speakers. I think merc said it does all of them except one of the rear 6x9s.

As for amps, I really regret not getting a JL amp (JL subs too for that matter). Why get something else when JL has been tried and tested... Anyways that's my before the real experts come...

And, the harness can work with any amp so long as you buy Merc's balun too (just FYI, then you dont have to worry about diff inputs)
Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
All the current JL amps,
The RFG Punch and Power series (current models) amps (check their web site for models)
Kicker Zx Multi-channel amps (current models) (check their web site for models)

When checking look for differential, full differential or balanced inputs listed and make sure they are referring to the line level inputs not the speaker level inputs. I have an adapter if you want to use an amp with regular inputs.

The crossovers are in the factory amp, The HU has four full range outputs to feed your amps.

He Civic Si has the same audio system as the TSX with the exception of one rear deck woofer.

Check the TSX FAQ as well as my post in the Sponsored Sales section.

jeff
Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

One More Question

Alright, I have a good idea of what I want to do now. I'm planning on getting a four channel Amp (4x100), and wiring the four door speakers accordingly. However for the subs, I was planning on wiring one 6x9 bridged on the rear channels and the other 6x9 wired bridged on the front channels. Would this work? Anybody have any other alternate wiring sugguestions?

One more question. For the 6x9 sub, would it make a difference whether I use a regular 6x9 sub (ex. MB Quart RVF 269), or if I use a regular full-range 6x9 and LPF it. I'm looking for just bass out of the rear deck and the best performance.

One last question. With this wiring setup, I'm going to need a pair of 6x9 subs that have a power handling of 200w RMS. Any recommendations other than the MB Quart RVF 269?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Cruisin'

One more alternate possibility... I could wire all four door speakers to the front channels of the amp and the 6x9s bridged on the rear channels. This way I can use the front to rear balance to balance out the bass with the mids and highs. Which method would you guys recommend?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Forget about using the 6x9s for subs. The rear deck rattles like crazy. I run components up front and no rear door speakers. I use the rear 6x9s for a little extra bass but I have to stress not much extra. If you like bass get a sub and go with a four or five channel setup. Five channels will give you rear door feeds.

jef