Problem with StreetEffectz TL kit, repainting tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006 | 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Problem with StreetEffectz TL kit, repainting tips?

After two supposed replacements, countless weeks and calls to StreetEffectz, I finally have a kit in my hands that fits around the Z1 and mounts flush to my 03' TL.

Problem is, it looks like crap...

Ron wrapped the TL kit in paper towels for shipment and this is what it looked like when I took it out:

I sent him this nasty gram:

Alright, so I got the kit today finally (FedEx screwed up somehow).

Anyway, so I take the kit out of the box and unwrap it from the paper towels you wrapped it in, and for some reason, the entire left side and the bottom got IMPRINTED with the "quilts" of the tissue paper and warped the paint in some way. Look at the pictures I attached so you know what I'm talking about.

At this point, I'd like to:

a) know how to fix this
b) if it can't be fixed, keep it like this and receive a substantial refund (50%)
c) ship it BACK and have you make me ANOTHER one (I really don't want to do this)
He sent me this back:

It just needs to be lightly sanded and sprayed again. Not sure why this happened, it sat under the heat lamp for a full day. I'd use a "FINE" sanding pad, which you can pick up in HOME DEPOT made by 3M in the paint department. Just lightly rub it, you can even do it wet. Just a can of flat black will do the trick.
Okay, fine... So i have it sanded down to the primer coat, and this is what I got so far:

I tried "Lightly Sanding It" but the dimples were deep, all the way into the primer.

He mentioned flat black, is that textured or non-textured? How many coats do I put? How do I make sure it dries without any particles getting stuck to it?

I'm a painting newb (Obviously), but I would like this too look decent, considering I paid $250 for something that I STILL have to paint.

Also, Ron said the removal of the cd holder supports was needed to accommodate the Z1, is this true? He said I know have to epoxy the top of the kit to the bottom of cd holder. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.

Thanks in advance! I want to get my TL back to normal (I've been driving around without a center console and the entire dash kit removed for months now waiting on this.
Old 09-05-2006 | 11:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipSaad
After two supposed replacements, countless weeks and calls to StreetEffectz, I finally have a kit in my hands that fits around the Z1 and mounts flush to my 03' TL.

Problem is, it looks like crap...

Ron wrapped the TL kit in paper towels for shipment and this is what it looked like when I took it out:

I sent him this nasty gram:

He sent me this back:

Okay, fine... So i have it sanded down to the primer coat, and this is what I got so far:

I tried "Lightly Sanding It" but the dimples were deep, all the way into the primer.

He mentioned flat black, is that textured or non-textured? How many coats do I put? How do I make sure it dries without any particles getting stuck to it?

I'm a painting newb (Obviously), but I would like this too look decent, considering I paid $250 for something that I STILL have to paint.

Also, Ron said the removal of the cd holder supports was needed to accommodate the Z1, is this true? He said I know have to epoxy the top of the kit to the bottom of cd holder. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.

Thanks in advance! I want to get my TL back to normal (I've been driving around without a center console and the entire dash kit removed for months now waiting on this.

Try applying a small amount of bondo to fill in the gaps and dimples and sand it so its smooth don't go too deep in the sanding process just make sure the dimpls are filled and its smooth. Put the piece/s up to a light and check to see where its un even if possible, then tape off what ever needs to be taped off (unless you're just gonna paint the whole thing over) and then apply a layer of primer and let it dry completely (could take a couple hours depending on how thick of a layer you put). then apply base coat of paint with choice of color... you could apply a layer of clear coat or a second coat of paint....just make sure you allow proper time for the paint to dry before you move on to the next coat of paint

Last edited by Darknesss_TL; 09-05-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2006 | 06:57 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

i would send it back and request a better quality finished product.
Old 09-07-2006 | 12:11 AM
Banned

if you paid with a creditcard, file a chargeback... you already have evidence for your substantial refund
Old 09-07-2006 | 03:40 PM
Racer

For paying as much as you did, I would ask for a replacement.

I would not want to do any work after paying that much.
Old 09-15-2006 | 09:17 AM
3rd Gear

Exclamation Help need double din

I have been looking for a double din and i cant find anything, I know its custom but where can i buy it from i called streeteffectz and they never picked up. so im wondering where else?????????????? HELP I already got my navi system, im just waiting on the din kit or custom din kit. thanks