Problem with GPS Navigation System- TL 2001 NAV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with GPS Navigation System- TL 2001 NAV.

Hi everyone,

I had my 2001 Acura TL with Navigation one month ago. The previous owner made something to the navigation system, so it asks for unlock code. I contacted with a dealer to get the code.

I typed in the code. It worked, but I have to wait up to 10 minutes for the GPS system to acquire the GPS signal. In addition, about a few minutes later after I turned off the car, the GPS system was locked again. So every time I came to the car, I had to repeat typing in the unlock code and wait up to 10 minutes for the system acquiring gps signal. It happened only with the GPS System, the radio is working properly (no need to repeat typing unlock code).

Can anybody give me some advices to get rid of typing the code again and again? I heard that GPS system has battery, so where is it? I think this thing happened may be concern in battery or sth like that. I don't know.

How can I update the GPS software not the navigation DVD?

Thank you very much. Please help me. I appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
what did the prior owner do ? just let the battery go dead? or replaced it?

the nav software updates are on the new nav dvd- you are due for one by now~ available only thru acura-via alpine electronics for $185, or you can buy a disc a few years old used if your area was last updated then- see the website

I would check the connector on the nav dvd in the trunk- makes sure everything is plugged in tight, there is a ground wire under the spare tire if someone removed big speakers and forgot that---could be the problem

Does it stop working while you drive or just with the key?

here is the acura free owner books and owner registration info
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
call 1-800-382-2238x5 and tell them you are the new owner= ask for recall info and extended warranty info--Need cars VIN for both reg's
ask date of cars first date of use to determine warranty limits on special extended warranties that come with the car
and here http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
nav disc
https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php

The security system locks the radio immediatly when you disconnect main battery power- thinking its been stolen
The Nav security normally takes longer- giving 15 + minutes in my experience- before it locks down

So power interruption would be your primary cause-
possible loose ground wire- weak fuse-loose fuse
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you very much 01tl4tl.

I didn't know the old owner doing anything with the GPS. GPS needs the unlock code every time I start the car. After unlock, it needs up to 10 mins to acquire for GPS signal. After that, it works fine until I turn the car off.

What do I call the toll free number for? And the website registration, what does it for? Can you tell me in details please? The wire that you said, which color is it? I don't know much about car though.

Again, thank you very much for your help.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I know there is a ground wire somewhere under the spare- beyond that you have to look

My thought is someone removed stereo parts in the trunk and messed up the ground or there is a loose ground associated with the nav
Or they tapped into power before, and now cut the wire so its loose-but first thought more likely

A stereo shop can tell you whats wrong fast- they install and remove stuff so they have a good idea of what goes wrong

The phone reg can tell you the warranty history of the car and notify you if any recalls pop up in the future'

Online reg is your own account for your car-by VIN, you can store the radio and nav codes there for future referance, look up extended special warranty details on your own car, and lots of good info there on the trans problems

So to confirm- the gps is fine while driving- it stays on the whole time?
Its only when you shut off the key and then restart the car- no nav
And its taking way too long to aquire signals- are you in an open area- no roof over the car?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 PM
3rd Gear

Hi 01tl4tl,

I checked the black wire in the trunk. It was grounded. I took the car to a radio service. They didn't know how to fix it because they said that it has a more difficult problem than they expected. I don't know.

My car has sunroof or moonroof. May be the navigation disc is to old (version: 1.09J) affected its performance. Your last 3 statements are absolutely true but the roof. So do you recommend me to buy the new disc for the car? I am thinking of a portable gps. It is cheaper than this disc. I am wondering if I waste money to buy the disc for an improperly system.

How do you think? Can you recommend me something?