PLEASE Help with aftermarket stuff for 96 RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:45 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE Help with aftermarket stuff for 96 RL

I just bought a cherry 96 RL. It does not have the nav. system, but every other option is there. I have a bunch of stereo stuff that I recently purchased that I was planning on putting in my truck, but would rather put it into this car.

I have:

Alpine CDA-9855 ( headunit )

Boston Acoustics S60 ( components )

Boston Acoustics SX95 ( 6x9s )

MTX 5500/12 ( 12" subs )

MTX 801D ( mono amp )

ALPINE MRV-F545 ( 4 channel amp )

Audiobahn 1 farad cap

I would like to put this into my RL. I know I am a new guy so please be gentle. What has to happen to install all this stuff? I would like to put the headunit in the dash where the factory radio is. Does anyone make a "blank or aftermarket radio "panel?" that goes there? Will I run into wiring nightmares? Is this a mis-match bunch of stuff? I am not trying to win any competitions or anything ilke that...I just want it to sound good, hit hard...and most importantly look clean...ie: factory.

Please help. I could sure use it. This is the first import I have ever owned so I know nothing about availablitity and/or feasibility. Sorry for so many questions and THANK YOU in advance for any and all help. If anyone has any pics of aftermarket installs in their 96 RL, I would certainly love to see them.

Thanks,

Tyler
www.wickedgrafixx.com
Old 12-26-2005, 03:51 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome!

first of all, you need a dashkit and wiring harness for the headunit. Either Metra or Scosche will make them.

Check this out for the wiring harness :
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Eup0GF1...00&I=120701720

you might have to do some calling around for the dashkit, as i am not familiar with what your dash looks like.

Secondly, You wll need to run the power wire from the battery along the driver's side to the trunk. Then mount your amplifiers there and you will need a distribution block because you have two amplifiers. After that, you will need to connect the headunit to the amplifiers via RCA cables. Also run the Remote-Turn-On Wire from the headunit back to the amplifiers. Then connect the speakers and the subwoofers and you should be set.

That should do it! I think. Someone, correct me if I have forgotten anything or made a mistake
Old 12-27-2005, 05:33 PM
6th Gear

I know about installing the actual radio/amps/speakers...maybe this will help out my quest.

Look at the pics. I am illustrating what I need. Does anyone make this, big company or individual? I am wanting it to look factory/clean. I know I can just throw something in there, but I want it to look good. I am not interested in having a tv screen or anything of the sort in there...just a simple radio.

I have tried Scosche and Metra and they do not make this, or anything similar for that matter. I know someone on here has had to of put a different radio into their 1996 or thereabouts Acura RL. How did you do it? Please help.

Thank you. I know someone out there has to know what I am talking about. If they do not, can you point me to someone that does or at least might?

Thanks,

Tyler
www.wickedgrafixx.com
Old 12-27-2005, 06:57 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like you need something custom. I don't see anything either.

I estimate that costing about $200-300.

I can see if my RL customer near here is interested in letting us have his car for a full day. We can make it to fit his car and then ship it to you.

But you should probably see if someone nearby can do that kind of custom work. Sound Factory?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 PM
6th Gear

I will check around town here, but I'm not promising they can do it... LOL !

I may have to take you up on your offer. Gimme about a week or two and I will let you know. If I can't get it done around here ( the way I want it anyways ), I will glady let you do your thing. Thanks for taking the time out to talk to me today and doing some research for me.

Tyler