Please explain why I can or cannot do this (aux ??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Please explain why I can or cannot do this (aux ??)

I ordered the navi-SHOND3 aux input from Logjam, and was planning to attach an XM Commander to it. A friend of mine had a really good point. He suggested I put a Y-adaptor on the left and right RCA in, and then use one set of LR RCAs to the Commander, and then use a 2 RCA-> 1/8" y connector to connect to the Belkin iPod charger with the line out connection. As long as I turn off whatever source I am not using (iPod when using XM and vice versa), can I do this? Will it (specifically the Y-connectors) degrade the sound enough to make a difference on my otherwise stock system? Will I need 1 or more line drivers, and/or GLI's? I was going to have a custom switch made and installed, but that was going to be a lot of $$$, plus I doubted it would be done as cleanly as my anal self would want. With the Y-con thing, I can hide it all behind the dash and in the center armrest console.

Thanks for the help, audi-guru's.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:31 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
1) I don't like using "Y" adapters that way, but it seems to have been done. I would rather have isolation.

2) There are dual source switchers being sold by Soundgate and PAC that do that. I have heard iffy things about the early PAC switchers. No personal experience with either but I would lean to the Soundgate.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/RC...ER_p_4541.html

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=612

3) From what I read on the posts many people want a line driver on the iPod or XM unit they add to the AUX input. You would definitely get better S/N with a line driver. Here is a list of line drivers:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/searc...ng=line+driver

When we tried a cheap one in Joerockt's car it sounded crap, but that was on the output of the HU and the output of the radio with the volume higher is much greater than the output of a fixed line-level source unit. I would probably get the $33.50 PAC one... unless your anal self wants to spring for the Phoenix Gold TLD-22 or the Audio Control Overdrive for around $100-120...
Old 12-07-2004, 01:01 PM

Dumb question-I just ordered both the (second) switch, and the line driver. Will one do it? Do I just insert it between the AUX and the switch? And I don't need a GLI, correct?

Thanks for the quick reply, for $100, this planned install just got 100x better.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
VP Electricity

They are different.

The SHOND has no RCA out, just RCA in. The switcher has 2 or 3 sets of RCA inputs, and one set of RCA outputs. The line driver has one set of RCA in and one set out.

From what I read, the iPod has too low a signal. Also from what I read some XM receivers have too low a signal. If they are both too low for you, but are about the same level, you could insert the amp between the switcher output and the SHOND input and amplify both signals.

If you have two signals that are both too low in level for your "anal self", but are not close together in level: ), I guess you might need two line drivers, one on each source between the source and the switcher input, and each set to different levels to match their levels. It kinda depends on how much signal you are getting from the XM unit. Some Delphi XM units have some settings on their menu for output level, and it's possible you could match the outputs that way to get away with one amp.

So you hopefully will go XM and iPod into Switcher, Switcher into Line Driver, Line Driver into SHOND, SHOND into car.

Worst case, you go XM into Line Driver 1, iPod into Line Driver 2, LD 1 and 2 into Switcher, Switcher into SHOND, SHOND into car.

Oh, and don't set all this stuff on top of the Aurbag ECU... I think it emits noise: )
Old 12-07-2004, 05:59 PM

That's the plan, iPod+XM into switch into LD into SHOND into car. I'm not THAT anal, I am, after all, leaving the stock system in place But that's mostly because I don't want to sacrifice the room to do a real clean install on amps and subs, and I like the idea of the car being mostly stock. I'll let Tweeter (the guys who will do my install) know about the ECU.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
VP Electricity

Is that a Tweeter that used to say HiFi Buys on the sign? I hear they are switching everything over finally...