Pioneer N1 - N2...wtf damnit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Dipset All Day, Everyday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer N1 - N2...wtf damnit

I am seriously considering the pioneer avic in dash multimedia unit. I have several questions though. I want to be able to change navi addresses and watch dvds while driving (*disclaimer 'watching TV while driving is dangerous) The AVIC-n1 you could fool by wiring the park brake to a ground. They updated the N2 with software that taps the GPS so it locks it up if it senses you are moving. There is really no way to get around this other than with a toggle switch which I think another member posted about.

-Can the Pioneer N2 run off the original N1 software and be able to watch dvds while driving?

Are there any other methods around the N2 motion lock?

-Has anyone bought a refurbished Pioneer n1 from ebay?

Thanx in advance
Old 08-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

someone on THIS forum solved this problem already. do a search. he grounded another wire and it worked pitcure perfect
Old 08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
someone on THIS forum solved this problem already. do a search. he grounded another wire and it worked pitcure perfect
It involves a lot more than just grounding a wire unfortunately.

If you don't mind more limted Navi maps and/or less XM functionality, then I would go with an N1.

You can make the N2 let you watch video while driving, but you have to use switches to cut the signal to the GPS antenna and VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire. The GPS will still be able to track you somewhat using the internal gyro, but it will be less accurate.

I set my N2 up this way, and it works great, but when my N1 was an N2 (before firmware reflash), I liked how I didn't have to worry about flipping any switches and my GPS antenna was still tracking me very accurately. It is totally fine once I turn the antenna back on, but with my N1 I didn't have to worry about it. It's a tradeoff I guess. I have about 25% more map coverage now and can also get XM traffic if I want. The map interface is also nicer and has more color variation.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

-Can the Pioneer N2 run off the original N1 software and be able to watch dvds while driving?
Nope. I've testing this myself.If you put the N1 software disc in an N2, it will not load. The deck does a comparision that checks to see which firmware you are trying to load. If it sees that it is a previous version, it throws an error and says you have the wrong disc.

Are there any other methods around the N2 motion lock?
I haven't heard of any other solutions yet. You can go in and cut the lead going from the GPS antenna to the gyro, but you would still need a toggle switch for the VSS wire, and you must also have your ebrake wire grounded.

-Has anyone bought a refurbished Pioneer n1 from ebay?
Nope, but as long as they have a warranty, and it's a really good seller. I wouldn't mind buying from Ebay. Another option is to look for a store that is seller a demo unit.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the N2 and instead of opening up the brain and doing mods just do the reverse camera loop....it's perfect, i love it and it's a safe fix....let me know if you have any questions....i'll post some pics here in the next few days
Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Tyzing
I have the N2 and instead of opening up the brain and doing mods just do the reverse camera loop....it's perfect, i love it and it's a safe fix....let me know if you have any questions....i'll post some pics here in the next few days
I was getting discolored video when I did the reverse camera loop. Do you get discolored video on the split screen view with the Navi/reverse camera?

Are you doing anything special when you loop it?

Thanks...Kenny
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Dipset All Day, Everyday

Originally Posted by NYZGREATST

wow really? can you explain how to do it?

you cant do that on the n2 bro...gyros n shit

I dont understand. How does the loop work?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Dipset All Day, Everyday

and I actually still want to have a reverse cam
Old 08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you still want your reverse cam I cant help you much, although if you dont then it's the best way to do it.....my video color is perfect!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Tyzing
if you still want your reverse cam I cant help you much, although if you dont then it's the best way to do it.....my video color is perfect!
That's interesting because no matter what I do, I get discoloration. I thought the video output might be bad so I hooked it to another screen and everything was fine. I just bought a reverse camera, so I guess it wouldn't have been a good solution for me anyway.

I ended up getting everything setup using two switches and a relay. Works great now!