Over 3 years out of car audio... IM BACK....W/pics..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over 3 years out of car audio... IM BACK....W/pics..

Well I stoped working in car audio about 4 years ago and havent really worked on any cars to do a serious system in a few years but after buying the TL about 6 months ago i told myself I would do something simple.. well 6 months later F$%K that... I went out around 5 today and dusted off my router and went at it... I am going to add a few pics of the steps just to kind of show a few people on this board that are attempting glass for the first time.. Once I am finished I will be writting a full DIY

Rings done and mounted

Spacers to hold the rings in place

Take the Fleece or whatever material you are using start with the inner most ring staple all the way around the ring ( Hot glue can be used if a staple gun is not availilble) once you finish your first ring move on the the next stretching the fleece fairly tight but not to tight because it will shrink up a little once its glasses and can warp your rings...

Once you have everything streched out and how you want it time to lay some resin. I tend to mix my first coat a little on the cold side ( not as much hardener ) which will allow the resin to soak into the wood a little better some people also thin out there resin with MEK or even acetone but I dont think you really need to. When laying out the resin pay special attention around the rings and really soak in that area.

Once you have your resin on and soaked as much as you can wait between 20 and 40 mins depending on temp. once it Gels over not quite hard and still tacky and use a sharp razor and cut the Fleece out of the center of the rings I am about to do that in a few mins and will show a pic once its done.. you will save yourself at least an hour of cutting and grinding by doing it now instead of letting the resin set.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

What Kind Of Subs Will You Put In That Box? Seems Very Shallow. Thanks For The Writeup. I Would Love To Do Something Like This One Day
Old 10-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Burning Brakes

yes it is very shallow most of the back will be cut out along with some of the sides and another box attached in order to fit between the Wheel wells. I am going to use Some Eclipse Alum. Subs I have laying around..

So you have the front box (RED) a hole will be cut in the back to allow me to work reinforcing the mold then it will be attached to the the rear box in yellow and sealed the grey area's will have to be notched out to allow for the depth of the subs and then glassed to seal.. I hope that kinda clears it up
Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
man thats gonna look hot.... DO you have a 2nd gen or 3rd gen TL. What are your plans for amps, speakers, and HU.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Xtant X1001 for the subs and 2 Xtant 2200x for the front stage.. head unit probibley an eclipse double din and its a 2nd Gen As far as speakers going with a DLS 3 way componet just trying to find out if 8's will fit in the doors before ordering them
Old 10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta luv the glass! Welcome back to the wonderful world of car audio
Old 10-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Please opinions needed

while I was looking at it today I was thinking I could just invert the two outside subs and not have to worry about clearance or notching out the sides of the box to make things clear... So which one do you think will look better I would rather put in the work to have what is better looking and not just easier but I can't seem to decide which looks better.. please ring in and give your opinion...
Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^I thought your box design was a little funky looking. I like the face, but the back of it had me puzzled. I would need to see a picture of the trunk and how the box is going to sit in it to give you anymore advice. I'm not a big fan of inverted subs, unless it's a show car only. Inverted subs are just not practicle.
I think I would have made the rear of the box out of fiberglass as well! It just makes everything easier and maximizes space. Do you have pics of the trunk?