OT: But it's a speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 06:39 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OT: But it's a speaker question

Well I recently moved on from my Integra into my brand new CL-S. Before I traded in my Integra I took out the 6.5 Pioneer Two-Way Speakers out of the front door (they weren't stock...why should the dealer get them)

Anyway, I was looking at them today and I was thinking if I were to buy one of those pre-fabbed sealed speaker boxes and run a decent receiver to them, wouldn't they be pretty nice home speakers? They say 35 Watts RMS and 140 W Max on the back. Seems like it should sound good in a room.

Plus I have a really really old bandpass box with a 10" Fosgate (it was cheap and it rumbled like hell). Do you think I could use that as a home speaker...or would it be too sloppy?

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmmm...strange...I was just at the Crutchfield site and I can't seem to find a box for 6.5" only 6X9s. Any suggestions?
Old 11-13-2001, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: OT: But it's a speaker question

Originally posted by chikai
Well I recently moved on from my Integra into my brand new CL-S. Before I traded in my Integra I took out the 6.5 Pioneer Two-Way Speakers out of the front door (they weren't stock...why should the dealer get them)

Anyway, I was looking at them today and I was thinking if I were to buy one of those pre-fabbed sealed speaker boxes and run a decent receiver to them, wouldn't they be pretty nice home speakers? They say 35 Watts RMS and 140 W Max on the back. Seems like it should sound good in a room.

Plus I have a really really old bandpass box with a 10" Fosgate (it was cheap and it rumbled like hell). Do you think I could use that as a home speaker...or would it be too sloppy?

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmmm...strange...I was just at the Crutchfield site and I can't seem to find a box for 6.5" only 6X9s. Any suggestions?
if you're talking about a home receiver...most home receiver's speaker outputs are 8 ohms. car speakers are usually rated 4 ohms. you might run into some limitations there. if you are to use a car stereo receiver, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:16 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

icy CL - yeah...you're right...most receivers do run at 8ohm.

I know if you lower the resistance it would theoritically increase the wattage close to twice the amount. But it would also make the amp work harder there by running hotter. (this is all based on my car stereo knowledge) In the end the amp wouldn't last as long. I know lots of car stereo amps that are capable of running at 2 or even 1 ohm.

Do you think it would be bad to run 4 ohm speakers on home A/V receivers.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by chikai
icy CL - yeah...you're right...most receivers do run at 8ohm.

I know if you lower the resistance it would theoritically increase the wattage close to twice the amount. But it would also make the amp work harder there by running hotter. (this is all based on my car stereo knowledge) In the end the amp wouldn't last as long. I know lots of car stereo amps that are capable of running at 2 or even 1 ohm.

Do you think it would be bad to run 4 ohm speakers on home A/V receivers.
i don't quite recall ohms law that well. but i think if you do that set up, you have a possiblity of blowing the car speakers if you turn the volume up. i'm really not sure anymore.....anyone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:44 PM
Retired. Not available.

Why would you wanna do that? Decent bookshelf speakers dont cost that much. I dont think any home receive is 4 Ohm stable which means not only you shorten its life but the sound may come out crappy also. Home and car systems are not interchangable.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would NOT do that...you WILL run into some problems. Sell the car speakers and get home speakers.