Opinions on Viper 5900 alarm/remote start needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 PM
OEM plus!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Viper 5900 alarm/remote start needed

Anyone have the Viper 5900 unit remote start alarm unit? Throwing the idea around of picking one of these up. I really like the LCD display of the remote and I like the added range (up to 1 mile) that you get from this unit. Was considering the viper 791, but the installer said that it would only get 1000-2000 ft range. So that is what leads me to the 5900. I have read some general online reviews, but would like some Acura specific feedback. If there is a TSX owner that has one, would really like see what you have to say.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 AM
who dat lil kid?

hello! I have a 06 TSX wit Nav and I just got the python 990 installed in my car. If you don't know, viper, python, and clifford are all made by DEI. Exact same alarm but different brand wise. so python 990 = viper 5900 = clifford 50x.

I have say, I was very scared to have an alarm installed due to it being under 10k miles on my car. But I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the alarm. You can say I got it for very well below wholesale. Anyway, the range is great. Remote start is wonderful. I recommend losing your valet key to program the remote start. DEI makes a module that will record your key code, but it isn't very successful. It could fail on you later in the future. So make sure you choose the module that requires a key instead of the one that just records the the signal. What's best about the alarm, it will retain your factory alarm. When you arm with the aftermarket, it will arm the factory also. Same with disarm. Here's the BEST part. You know how you can roll all your windows down and up through the driver's door? You can program those 2 features to the AUX of the alarm. I can roll them down from distance and roll them up! Sorry for the long post, let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you
Old 01-08-2007, 01:31 AM
OEM plus!

Dude, no worries with the long post. A little time reading for me will save me a lot of aggravation later. So whatever you or anyone has to say, I'm all ears.

I do like some of those AUX features that are provided. I really like the fact that they can program the alarm to trigger with the hood being opened as well. This would be nice for all those idiots trying to take our projectors.

I wasn't aware that DEI made a module that records the keycode, but the install shop was going to do it with the bypass kit that requires the valet key to be in place. They mentioned that they would grind the key down, in the event that it was found by a burglar that they wouldn't be able to use it.

Have you noticed any issue with the remote start with regards to it not working if you don't disarm the alarm first before starting? The installer told me that there have been some intermittant issues on Acuras with it not working and the trouble seems to be fixed by disarming the system. Something to do with the factory alarm killing the starter and not letting the remote start do it's job.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 AM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by A Cake On
Dude, no worries with the long post. A little time reading for me will save me a lot of aggravation later. So whatever you or anyone has to say, I'm all ears.

No problem

I do like some of those AUX features that are provided. I really like the fact that they can program the alarm to trigger with the hood being opened as well. This would be nice for all those idiots trying to take our projectors.

The built in AUX is really nice. You don't have to buy a window module to do the window mods. It's just 2 wires and about 4 relays

I wasn't aware that DEI made a module that records the keycode, but the install shop was going to do it with the bypass kit that requires the valet key to be in place. They mentioned that they would grind the key down, in the event that it was found by a burglar that they wouldn't be able to use it.

DEI makes 2 modules, one that records the code and one that requires a key. The one that records is junk. We tried it out for fun, 2 died within a hour!

Have you noticed any issue with the remote start with regards to it not working if you don't disarm the alarm first before starting? The installer told me that there have been some intermittant issues on Acuras with it not working and the trouble seems to be fixed by disarming the system. Something to do with the factory alarm killing the starter and not letting the remote start do it's job.

At first, the remote start wouldn't start or you couldn't start with your key. Its really weird how Acura setup the factory alarm. However, the problem is, the factory alarm will rearm itself automatically when you lock your doors. So when the aftermarket locks your door, it causes the factory to arm itself automatically. There is 2 fixes for this. One is, which i don't recommend, disable the factory alarm completely, however, you will lose your windows up/down. Second, if you decide to get the viper, make sure you get the installer to use the red harness, which controls the factory alarm directly, channel 4 and 5 AUX and also automatically disarm the factory alarm when you remote start and retain your doors still being locked and aftermarket armed! Its really hard to explain, if you're confused about this part, let me know, i'll try to explain it step by step with more detail

Last edited by buste2; 01-08-2007 at 01:43 AM.