One Very Happy Tweaker...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One Very Happy Tweaker...

Just Added a Pioneer DEQ-9200 to my system, and it has turned out to be a "sound" investment. The unit is ideal for setups where you have a component head unit, or the factory head unit with a Bose converter, and want to optimize the sound.

The unit includes a remote hideaway box (which I hid under the carpet in the passenger footwell) which is attached by a cable to a DIN-sized faceplate which is about 1.75" deep (easily hidden in the armrest or in the cup-holder area, depending on how much you want to tweak things once it's installed)

The DEQ-9200 works in two modes: standard mode, which assumes you have four speakers plus a sub, allows you to optimize the sound depending how many passengers you have in the car; professional mode, which assumes you have one set of component speakers and a sub, allows you to time-align the drivers for precise imaging.

Optimal crossover points are set automatically (at least in standard mode). I have to admit though disconcerting at first, after listening to a wide variety of music, the system has been correct in its choices.

Flat frequency response is set automatically by the system using a 4-band parametric EQ and an included microphone. You can tweak the sound further to your tastes using one of six pre-set EQ curves, or use the second built-in 3-band parametric EQ to create your own custom sound (the system saves up to four custom EQ curves for future use)

Once set, EQ curves can be "biased." For instance, I use the Jazz and Pop curves as variable loudness controls.

In short, the DEQ-9200 makes it very easy to make your system sound dynamite. For the record, do I have a few gripes:
  • If you want to completely hide the control unit in the cup holder area, you have to remove the insert. This means you have to find somewhere to put your drinks when you drive. I handle it by leaving the insert in and putting the control unit next to me (or in the armrest)when I have something to drink in the car, but this doesn't look too "cool." You also have the option of removing the insert only if you're going to park in a high-crime area. Still, with everything put away, the final result achieves my objective of looking factory spec.
  • For you high-end audiophiles out there, there is a small amount of electronic noise introduced by the device, which is really only noticeable inbetween songs when the volume on the unit is set at ear-splitting levels.

Still, I think the benefits of using the 9200 far outweigh these gripes - they make commuting and travelling a joy.

Happy listening!
Old 04-15-2002, 12:40 AM
ALi G in the House!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much was it? how long did it take to install? how hard was in to install?
thnx
Old 04-15-2002, 06:28 AM

re: How much was it etc.

Cost (new) is approximately $400. I don't recommend getting one on eBay, as I initially did this and got a defective unit.

Installation time depends on how accessible your RCA jacks are on the radio (or back at the amp, if you want to put the remote unit there, since an older-style Pioneer CD changer extension cable can be used to run the connection for the faceplate to the trunk). In my case, the AudioLink was about 6" from where I put the control unit, so total install time was about 60 minutes, including tapping into the appropriate wires on the AudioLink unit and running a new RCA cable for my subwoofer amp.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2002, 12:32 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash

I'm gonna put in a new head unit for my 03 CL-S 6S. How did you replace the big space missing in the dash board after you took out the bose?
Old 04-15-2002, 10:40 PM

new head unit

Actually, I kept the factory head unit and used a Bose interface, so I don't have a good answer for that one... might be a good topic for a new post.

I know if you want similar electroncs, the Pioneer 8800 Double-DIN head unit has similar AutoEQ capabilities and should fill most of the hole fine, but you'll probably need some sort of custom work done to fill out the dash.