Ok, here it is - 2005 Acura TSX w/AVIC-D1 custom installed - pics and videos!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, here it is - 2005 Acura TSX w/AVIC-D1 custom installed - pics and videos!

Pioneer AVIC-D1 was modified w/a custom made flexible flat cable to extend the screen off the rest of the unit - the main unit was relocated to the lower compartments and the factory drawer cover was molded onto the motorized part of the D1. The factory circuit board, which is one full piece, had some slight modifications done to it, but we can return it to stock, believe it or not, with just replacing the front trim piece that we molded the D1 screen into.

www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsxinstall1

Two videos, right click, save target as:

www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsx.AVI

-and-

www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsx2.AVI
Old 10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice, but how do you insert the navi disk? unless u just leave it in at all times
Old 10-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ im thinking you just leave it in there. theres no real reason to take it out anyways.

this is such a sick/clean install. very very creative and just flat out smart.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer

thats pretty sick!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

StreetEffectz, could you go into more detail concerning how you modified the circuit board? Is the faceplate to the stock HU still under your custom faceplate?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is amazing work guys!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:11 PM
It ain't mine.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Banned

There is still access to the navi disc, when you press and hold the open button it goes down ALL the way - I just took pics with it opened for the CD slot
Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Ron, do you have a before (stock) and after pics?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,730 Likes on 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
There is still access to the navi disc, when you press and hold the open button it goes down ALL the way - I just took pics with it opened for the CD slot
do you have any more during the process photos like how you modified the n1 and stuff. i mean i would never dare try it my self way to complicated for me but i am just really interested to see it done.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P-I-M-P

that is all
Old 10-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

The factory circuit board is still fully in-tact - the factory faceplate is there, but we took all the radio buttons out and molded our trim piece into it. If we ever went back to stock.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Damn, how thick is that AVIC-D1 face plate then? You did a great job! It looks the same size and depth as the stock faceplate
Old 10-30-2005, 11:20 PM

can you take the faceplate off a D1 normally
Old 10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Banned

When you remove the screen from the rest of the unit, it's probably about 3/4" thick - we took the back of the screen off to mold the factory drawer cover into though and it made it a LITTLE less thick.

No, you cannot take the screen off the D1 normally - it's screwed on.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Oops, I screwed up, this is the clearer 2nd video, I posted the same one twice:

right click, save as:

http://www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsx2.AVI
Old 10-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Racer

Pioneer AVIC-D1 was modified w/a custom made flexible flat cable to extend the screen off the rest of the unit - the main unit was relocated to the lower compartments and the factory drawer cover was molded onto the motorized part of the D1. The factory circuit board, which is one full piece, had some slight modifications done to it, but we can return it to stock, believe it or not, with just replacing the front trim piece that we molded the D1 screen into.

www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsxinstall1

Two videos, right click, save target as:

www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsx.AVI

-and-

www.streeteffectz.com/wilsontsx2.AVI
I was just browsing the TSX forum and happened to look at this thread and all I can say is WOW! That is one clean install. I have a '04 TL no-navi and had wanted to do something like an aftermarket navi and this seems to be exactly what I have been looking for. Is there any way you guys can do this install on my TL? $3,000 seems like a very fair price being that the factory navi is $2,000 and this does a lot more than just navigate.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nYmALu86
I was just browsing the TSX forum and happened to look at this thread and all I can say is WOW! That is one clean install. I have a '04 TL no-navi and had wanted to do something like an aftermarket navi and this seems to be exactly what I have been looking for. Is there any way you guys can do this install on my TL? $3,000 seems like a very fair price being that the factory navi is $2,000 and this does a lot more than just navigate.
Yup, we sure can do it in your TL, no problem at all - we just did an 04' TL with this unit actually, I have to get him back to take pictures of it, believe it or not, I forgot!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Racer

Yup, we sure can do it in your TL, no problem at all - we just did an 04' TL with this unit actually, I have to get him back to take pictures of it, believe it or not, I forgot!
post pics plzz! lol Hopefully you can show some pics and video clips like you did with the TSX. Just curious how long did it take for you to complete the TL? Very interested in getting this done.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Also, forgot to mention - the factory steering wheel controls are fully functionable
Old 11-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,434 Likes on 3,038 Posts
Also, forgot to mention - the factory steering wheel controls are fully functionable
Very nice
Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

That's tight man

How did you do that?
Did you use the PAC SWI and place and IR transmitter somewhere with clear line of sight to the D1?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tsx536
That's tight man

How did you do that?
Did you use the PAC SWI and place and IR transmitter somewhere with clear line of sight to the D1?
Nope - it is a PAC piece, but it's a Pac SWI-PS or something like that - it plug directly INTO the D1, no IR trasmitters needed, it's hardwired.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Nope - it is a PAC piece, but it's a Pac SWI-PS or something like that - it plug directly INTO the D1, no IR trasmitters needed, it's hardwired.
Just googled it. That's a great piece. Thanks for the info!

Do you think it would be possible to wire it so that it will still retain control of the factory HU, along with the Pioneer deck?

I have a TSX with a AVIC-N2 in the storage bin. I have it hooked up into the AUX input of the factory HU so I still use both stereos.

I know that there is a PAC-SWV out that will let me control both, but that uses IR, and isn't hardwired.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Looks good, but what was the purpose of moving the drive? Was the factory radio location not deep enough?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by withoutcomp1
Looks good, but what was the purpose of moving the drive? Was the factory radio location not deep enough?
Factory radio and HVAC controls are one big circuit board, you can't mount anything through that board.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Just googled it. That's a great piece. Thanks for the info!

Do you think it would be possible to wire it so that it will still retain control of the factory HU, along with the Pioneer deck?

I have a TSX with a AVIC-N2 in the storage bin. I have it hooked up into the AUX input of the factory HU so I still use both stereos.

I know that there is a PAC-SWV out that will let me control both, but that uses IR, and isn't hardwired.
The only things the PS piece works on is headunits with the hardwire input.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

What advantages does this have over the stock TSX w/navi?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

It's a full am/fm/cd/mp3/dvd rom headunit - has full preouts for front, rear,sub, full subwoofer control, fully adjustable eq, XM w/nav traffic, lots of different interfaces for it, touch screen, hook Ipod directly to it w/full controls, etc etc.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

It's a full am/fm/cd/mp3/dvd rom headunit - has full preouts for front, rear,sub, full subwoofer control, fully adjustable eq, XM w/nav traffic, lots of different interfaces for it, touch screen, hook Ipod directly to it w/full controls, etc etc.
Basically, if you're into audio. It has everything that the OEM deck doesn't have. The OEM deck in the TSX only has controls for Bass and Treble. There are no other settings besides fade and balance.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Racer

Just curious, why do you have it hooked-up this way and not the factory HU into the AVIC AUX in (assuming the AVIC has an AUX)?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Spoon
Just curious, why do you have it hooked-up this way and not the factory HU into the AVIC AUX in (assuming the AVIC has an AUX)?
Well a couple of reasons:
First of all keep in mind that I did my install over a year ago. At the time I wanted to keep my steering wheel controls and there was not a hardwired solution that would allow me to do that. I always knew about the IR solution, but heard a lot of bad things about it. And since I already had a SNHOND3, I went ahead and installed it thinking that if I didn't like the sound I would just wire everything directly from the AVIC. I ended up liking the sound enough to start moving onto engine and exterior mods. That's pretty much where I'm at now. I'm almost finished with my engine and exterior mods, so maybe I'll move back to the stereo again. If you take a look at my sig sometime, you'll see that I've been busy.

Now that RON told me about the new PAC SW-PS, I'll probably go back and rewire everything. Although I still really like how my system sounds, I also realize that I'm not using my components to their fullest potential.

It's tough though, everytime I am set on rewiring I get distracted with another mod or gadget. My latest distraction is the new video Ipod. I'm trying to find a way to have full control of the the video Ipod, while keeping it concealed. I have the Pioneer IB100, but unfortunately the Ipod cuts off the video output once it is hooked up to the IB100. I want to find something that will allow me to keep the Ipod concealed, have it turn on and off with ignition, and also charge it at the same time.

Any ideas Ron?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Racer

If you take a look at my sig sometime, you'll see that I've been busy.

Now that RON told me about the new PAC SW-PS, I'll probably go back and rewire everything. Although I still really like how my system sounds, I also realize that I'm not using my components to their fullest potential.
Okay, what did I miss? Are you running your speakers off the factory deck? PG amp for sub?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Okay, what did I miss? Are you running your speakers off the factory deck? PG amp for sub?
I don't want to crap up the thread with my sig, but I met that I have been busy with my other non-stereo mods. Like wheels, suspension, Hondata, headers, intake, etc etc. Click on my user name if you want to see my profile. Yep. I still have my speakers wired off of the factory amp. And the PG amp is for my sub.

StreetEffectz, have you had anyone come in with a new video Ipod looking for cool ways to integrate it into there system?
Any ideas on how I could make the Ipod turn off and on with the ignition, or control the Ipod with it being mounted in a hidden location?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:21 PM

I don't want to crap up the thread with my sig, but I met that I have been busy with my other non-stereo mods. Like wheels, suspension, Hondata, headers, intake, etc etc. Click on my user name if you want to see my profile. Yep. I still have my speakers wired off of the factory amp. And the PG amp is for my sub.

StreetEffectz, have you had anyone come in with a new video Ipod looking for cool ways to integrate it into there system?
Any ideas on how I could make the Ipod turn off and on with the ignition, or control the Ipod with it being mounted in a hidden location?
2004 TSX CGP / Quartz
Hondata
Injen CAI
DC Header
TB Mod
18" Advan Kruezer Series X
Dunlop FM901 225/40/18
Rays Lugs
OEM Bodykit
15% / 50% Tint
Aspec Suspension
SPC Camber
Neuspeed Front Tie
Comptech RSB
Pioneer AVIC-N2 Ipod/Sirius/Navi/Mp3/DVD/TV (Pics)
Backup Camera
15 GB Ipod
JL Tweets
Diamond Comp.
Infinity 6002i
JL 12W3v2
Phoenix Gold 250zx
Monster Cap
Clifford Alarm
Battery Backup
Piezo Siren
Valentine 1
Nokia Bluetooth
Old 11-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I Just Con't Drive 55 Mon

WOW Ron, that's nice....can you get my factory steering wheel controls to work like that on my 2001 TL?....Just bustin' ya'....I got to get there to have you take care of that for me....Oh, yeah, when I come up, I'm bringing you and you brother a FLASH LIGHT so we can actually see what the hell you did on the video! ......gary
Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Racer

Yeah, I understood what you were saying, I was/am just surprised that you can even move the HEXs with factory power. BTW, I'm not dumping on it.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah, I understood what you were saying, I was/am just surprised that you can even move the HEXs with factory power. BTW, I'm not dumping on it.
Haha. Yeah, I'm surprised too. I installed those about 10 days after I got the car thinking I would go back and put an amp in when I had some time. They were brought over from my previous car. I have never gotten around to putting an amp in and I'm happy enough that I'm still going to do other mods first. AT some point when I feel like I'm finished with the exterior and engine, I'll go back to the stereo mods and probably rewire a lot of stuff.

BTW, sorry for all of the unrelated posts Ron. I'm still wondering if you have any creative ideas for the Ipod video. Thanks!

Last edited by Tsx536; 11-03-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Luke 1:37

One word....SICK!

If I hadn't gotten Navi with my TSX, I would definitely of driven down to NJ to have you guys do this install. Amazing!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fluid Grease
WOW Ron, that's nice....can you get my factory steering wheel controls to work like that on my 2001 TL?....Just bustin' ya'....I got to get there to have you take care of that for me....Oh, yeah, when I come up, I'm bringing you and you brother a FLASH LIGHT so we can actually see what the hell you did on the video! ......gary
Look at the SECOND video

Quick Reply: Ok, here it is - 2005 Acura TSX w/AVIC-D1 custom installed - pics and videos!