Non-Navi To Navi - It can be done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Navi To Navi - It can be done!

I bought Silver 2006 TSX AT last year in March. Made the dumb decision to buy it w/o the NAVI and hated myself for it since day one. Since that day, I was determined to make this Non Navi TSX to a Navi TSX.

It wasn't until two months ago that I ran up on this site and "BINGO", I read Flopez82's and Achca's thread and saw that it could be done. So off I went in search of the components needed to make my mod a reality, too.

I owe HUGE PROPS to my boy "Achca" who helped me every step of the way. He answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable about this type of Mod and most important was very patient with me. It took me about three full days to finish.

The most important part about this mod was buying the TSX Service and Electrical Manuals from HELMinc. Without these two manuals you should not attempt to take on this mod. I read and studied the manuals thoroughly for about 3-4 weeks. Planning how and where to tap into the existing harness.

Another must have: Your head unit and DVD unit MUST have all the connectors. This is crucial for a quick and easy install. Especially, the Navi Display Connector. I bought my NAVI and DVD unit from a Junkyard in New York. It was from a 2005 TSX that with 8K miles. I searched on line. I'm sure you can also find on ebay. I paid $2K for everything. Not including, about $30 for the 22 AWG shielded wire, tape, regular 22 AWG wire and about $170 for the manuals. I had them overnighted. All wiring needed for this Mod is 22 AWG.

Parts and Materials needed:

Sub clock display unit
H-VAC display unit (LCD)
Navigation DVD Rom Unit (with DVD)
(Remember to get all connectors for above two units)
GPS antenna
40 feet - 4 Conductor Shielded Wire (22 AWG)
120 feet - 2 Conductor Shielded Wire (22 AWG)
110 feet - Regular 22 AWG wire (all wires are this size)
Soldering iron
Electrical tape
Screwdriver, Flat head & Phillips
10MM socket and open wrench

Part numbers for above will be different based on the year of your NAVI set up. You can go to www.acuraoemparts.com to check out part numbers or to order new parts for this mod. WARNING: They're a bit cheaper than buying through the local dealer but they're still expensive.

AGAIN!! HUGE THANKS TO ACHCA!!!

I'll try to explain step by step as much as possible:

Here's my mod....

Before NAVI

I started from the back of the car and worked my way to the front. I removed the rear seat bottom, door trimming and rear deck speaker panel to secure the DVD unit bracket and install GPS antenna. Once I had these installed I took the Pig tail connectors from the DVD Unit and started running all my shielded and regular wires to the front of the car where the head unit is located. I soldered all my connections and taped with electrical tape. I also labeled all my wires so that it made it easier for me to connect to the Head unit connector pigtails.

Ground for DVD Unit. Shared with rear window defogger ground screw.

While in the trunk, I also tapped in for the Back up Light.

Shielded and regular wires (red) from DVD unit coming through back seat.

Next, I removed the head unit, Glove box, metal trimming and steering column upper and lower covers. I then I ran all the wires up and behind the glove box, to the middle of the dash and underneath the steering column to the fuse box panel. All shielded wires, except one, ended behind the Head Unit. One of these shielded wires, CAN L & CAN H, I ran to the back of the Gauge Control Module (See pic below). Three of the red wires (ACC, ILL, +B) I ran underneath the Steering column to different locations. Pics below will identify those locations. One important red wire, VSS, runs to ECPM/PCM (VSS is in E26). See picture below for exact location. I found this connector, but when I pulled it, there was no wire there for me to tap into. Because my TSX came w/o NAVI, there was no wire in this terminal so I had to add a terminal lead with wire and tap into it.

Location of ECPM/PCM Connector for VSS tap in.

ECPM/PCM Connector. VSS OUT is located in E26. I had to add a terminal lead and tap into it. This is the Light blue wire surrounded by the yellow circle.

Another pic of the ECPM/ PCM connector installed.

Next, I removed the top and bottom steering column covers.

Next, I removed the Gauge Cluster. The gauge cluster has two screws that hold in place. These are located under the steering column. To the left and right of the steering column. I've circled one of them. Remove these and then, with a long Phillips screwdriver, stick into the holes of the screws you just removed and push the gauge cluster towards the front of the car. I found this to be the easiest/safest and best way to remove the gauge cluster.

CAN H & CAN L come from here.

Next, Tapped in for the Back up light Switch

Next, Tapped into N39, Fuse 32 for the ACC.

Next, tapped in for +B (Missing this picture. I will update soon)

Now to the Head unit. This is the Display plug. Because I labeled all of my wires that I ran from the back (DVD unit) it was very easy to match these to the Display pigtail connector. I also soldered and taped these connections. I also installed the new Sub Display unit at this point.

Ground wire from Display connector.

Then.....MONEY!!!!! After entering the codes for the radio and the Navigation unit, I did some testing to make sure it was all working ok.

I even had little fun with it. From a previous thread I read, I added a cool graphic.

After making sure everything was working ok, I then cleaned up the wiring and put everything back together.

Well...There it is… another NAVI Mod. It works great! Makes the car look awesome inside. The one thing I'm getting used to is the speed and graphics. I have a NUVi and the speed and graphics on it are much, much better. Still love my Acura Navi, though.

I still have to connect Voice Command. I just ran out of time. I ran all of the wiring. So it'll be easy. I'm going to try this weekend. I'm also working on an album with all of the pics. It will have more detailed pics, connector wiring and such. I'll post soon.

For anyone looking to take on this mod, it wasn't difficult. If you buy the manuals, study them, have a little patience, and three days to kill, it's definitely doable and worth it.

Please feel free to ask questions. If it wasn't for this forum it would've been impossible for me to do this.

Thank
Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're the third that I've seen doing this.....

Good job and Great writeup... Thanks for doing the most complete writeup so far

Where are you in NY? Do you want to do this for my car too?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by supraken
You're the third that I've seen doing this.....

Good job and Great writeup... Thanks for doing the most complete writeup so far

Where are you in NY? Do you want to do this for my car too?
Thanks. I'm actually in Chicago. I bought the NAVI unit from a guy in NY.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A most impressive and courageous effort. You've got the only 06 with an 05 navi! Unique points.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Reach
A most impressive and courageous effort. You've got the only 06 with an 05 navi! Unique points.
Thanks. I tried finding an '06 NAVI Unit because the tuner and DVD Unit come with Hands Free Link. But couldn't find any. I'm sure I'll be able to find later.

Still looks great, though.

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Instructor

WOW you have done a very clean job. Very nice.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Racer

impressive. wish i had the balls to do something like this.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
where did you get the 22awg shielded wire from?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AchcA
WOW you have done a very clean job. Very nice.
Achca,

Thanks, man. I couldn't have done it w/o your help. Next mod I'm looking at is running DVD player to Navi screen. Hope things are cool your way. Let me know what you working on now a days.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by alucardx
impressive. wish i had the balls to do something like this.
Thanks!

Actually, not that difficult. If you can install an aftermarket radio, amp, speakers, etc into your car you can do this. Just takes a little more time and you definitely need the Service and Electrical manuals. Can't take this project on w/o them.

Let me know if you decide to do it. Ask any questions I'd be happy to answer/help.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Advanced

njzprettyboy-

I bought my shielded wire from a place called ANIXTER INC ( 1-800-ANIXTER... http://www.anixter.com/). These guys are world wide. I'm sure if you call them, they'll have a local distributor. Chicago had like three diff locations. I bought part # AL-2202C-2-2S-01. Although, these guys have all kinds/ grades of shielded wire.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Waynester
njzprettyboy-

I bought my shielded wire from a place called ANIXTER INC ( 1-800-ANIXTER... http://www.anixter.com/). These guys are world wide. I'm sure if you call them, they'll have a local distributor. Chicago had like three diff locations. I bought part # AL-2202C-2-2S-01. Although, these guys have all kinds/ grades of shielded wire.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
sweet man thanks alot...appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
sweet man thanks alot...appreciate it!
No problem. Just let me know if you need anything else.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear

Waynester I'm in Chicago as well and have a '04 TSX non-navi and have been looking into doing exactly what you did. Is it even possible to do that for my '04? If it is would you be interested in doing it for me at some point? Let me know
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jass83
Waynester I'm in Chicago as well and have a '04 TSX non-navi and have been looking into doing exactly what you did. Is it even possible to do that for my '04? If it is would you be interested in doing it for me at some point? Let me know
Jass83,

The toughest thing about this mod is finding all the hardware with the pigtails. Once you've done this you're 3/4 of the way there. This is an approximately 3 day job. I can help you or I can do the whole mod for you. The diference will be cost. PM me and we can discuss. I'd love to help you out either way.

I'm in Plainfield, by the way. Nice to know there are TSX owners close by.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
8th Gear

Nav sys

i have a 2006 TSX lease NY State
with non - nav
how hard wil it be to see if i can get a nav installed - from the dealer ship -
or do i need to speak to Honda Finance?
thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

I actually live up in Naperville. I figured getting all the parts would be a pain. I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure if I was to do this on my own I would need a lot of help. I installed my system in my '94 accord a few years ago but that's about the extent of my moding experience. Where do you recommend getting the HU and all the hardware?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by astoria
with non - nav
thanks

you want to do that to a lease car ???????
Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced

lease?? I'd think twice about doing this to a lease. Not worth it if you're returning the car.

The cost for the all the hardware and materials needed could be anywhere from $1200 to $2000. I found mine oline. Junkyard in NY.

When you return the car at end of lease you lose all of this money, brother (I'd imagine). You really want to think about this.

PM me if you still want details of how to get HU and other materials.

Still, it's nice to know that there is someone close by (Naperville). I'm in Plainfield just south of you.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by astoria
with non - nav
thanks
Dealer will not install OEM. I tried.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

hi

would you be so kind and helpful to put all the parts i will need to do that dream please. I will really appreciate it. thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

tsx_gsxr, If you're really serious about doing this, I suggest getting the ETM (Electrical manual) for your car. You WILL need it to accomplish this, as it gives extremely detailed and helpful diagrams, pictures, and pinouts for all the parts, wiring, and harnesses you will need. You will be able to gather everything necessary from there, its a little unfair to ask someone to list out every part necessary here. This is not for the feignt of heart.

But just so you know, you need a Navi unit (the dvd player in the trunk) and a Navi Screen in-dash piece from a salvage yard or eBay to start this project. Those are the only 2 big pieces. After that, you'll have to assemble the rest from the manual.

Originally Posted by Waynester
The most important part about this mod was buying the TSX Service and Electrical Manuals from HELMinc. Without these two manuals you should not attempt to take on this mod. I read and studied the manuals thoroughly for about 3-4 weeks. Planning how and where to tap into the existing harness.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:36 PM
i need to update my pic

waynester, i'm actually looking to do this mod too ... *sigh* i'm exhausted and enthused at the same time, just knowing what i need to do.

is it going to be hard for someone with no mod-ing experience?? i mean, i've done exterior and engine parts but never interior. so if i get the manuals i should be fine???

could you send me the part number for the navi system/console?!? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tsx_gsxr
would you be so kind and helpful to put all the parts i will need to do that dream please. I will really appreciate it. thanks
tsx_gsxr,

See my list of materials needed at beginning of this thread. I was able to get my H/U and DVD Rom, antenna and bracket from a Junkyard in NY. I found them on line just searching through on line junkyard sites. I entered "TSX NAVI" as my lookup and sent out some emails. Got a few responses and negotiated a price over the phone. I tried ebay but couldn't find any at the time.

Also, just to add to Reach's comments. You MUST have both the Service and Electrical diagram manuals before you attempt this mod. You can get these at www.helmsinc.com. This isn't a difficult mod but you have to do your homework studying the wire diagrams and for this you need the manuals.

I'd be glad to help you through the process but you need to make sure you get all necessary parts includinng the manuals. Believe me, they're worth it.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Advanced

ucizhunee721,

I replied to your PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Cruisin'

thanks waynester

thanks waynester
Old 01-30-2007, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear

Is the 2005 the only year that is compatable with my 2004?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

hey

hey waynester i got my navigation unit and i guess i also need the dvd rom and the orange disk and whole bunch of things but can you please let me know what type of dvd rom do i need???????????????????
Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jass83
Is the 2005 the only year that is compatable with my 2004?
Jass83,

2005 and 2006 will fit your '04. I'd imagine the '07's would too. There are a couple of differences from the '05 to '06. The biggest difference is speed. The '06 DVD rom has a faster processor. '06 also has Hands Free Link for blue tooth connectivity, and an AUX IN audio jack for an Ipod. Both HFL and Ipod capabilities are driven from two additional connectors in the OEM wiring harness that connect to the back of the tuner. This function is not available in the 04 or 05 models. What is available in the 04 & 05 models is Voice Command/Control. You'll need a steering wheel switch/button on your steering wheel to be able to use this funtion. This will require a ne cable reel, new buttons, removal of the airbag ont he sterring wheel, etc. Definitely doable but definitely a lot more work and cost.

My advise would be to get the H/U and DVD Rom units from the same year car. 05 or 06 will fit into your 04, just make sure that both H/U and DVD Rom units are from the same year not mixed.

I hoep this helps.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced

hey waynester i got my navigation unit and i guess i also need the dvd rom and the orange disk and whole bunch of things but can you please let me know what type of dvd rom do i need???????????????????
tsx_gsxr,

By navigation unit do you mean the H/U with LCD screen? Please be more specific about what exactly you have and I can help you identify other items you need for this mod. There are a few other things (hardware) you'll need. Please read at the beginning of my thread for list of materials needed for this mod.

Also, let me know what year your car is and the year for the mod components that you plan to install on your car. There are some minor differnces in available options from year to year. See my response to Jass83 above.

Yes, you do need the Orange DVD disk. This has the NAVI software that plays on your DVD ROM that gets fed to your LCD Screen on your dash.

Let me know if you need additonal help with this mod. I'd be glad to help.

Check out this thread also:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=non-navi
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

yes that

thats what am getting right now the head unit w/ lcd screen but is not sure yet. But you mention that you have another set so how much you want and what else will i need or you hace everything?????????? please let me know ok thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Advanced

thats what am getting right now the head unit w/ lcd screen but is not sure yet. But you mention that you have another set so how much you want and what else will i need or you hace everything?????????? please let me know ok thanks
I think you're refering to the thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/sho...hlight=non-navi) that I listed for you to look at for more info. Achca, owner of that thread, when originally posting it mentioned he had another Navi set. If you read through his thread you'll see he no longer has it.

So to answer your question, No I do not have another Navi set. Sorry for the confusion.

Again, take a look at the beginning of my thread and Achca's thread as all of the info materials you need are on these threads.

Here's a list of things you'll need:

Sub clock display unit
H-VAC display unit (LCD)
Navigation DVD Rom Unit (with Orange DVD)
(Remember to get all original connectors for above two units)
GPS antenna
Soldering iron
Electrical tape
Screwdriver, Flat head & Phillips
10MM socket and open wrench

You can also go to www.oemacuraparts.com to find out part numbers for above parts.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Racer

Hey Waynester,
are all these wires solid strand?
I can wait til my connectors to arrive and figure that out, but I want to go get the wires ready so I can have some extra time to start making those pigtails when the connectors arrived.

Last edited by tuoncan; 02-12-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tuoncan
Hey Waynester,
are all these wires solid strand?
I can wait til my connectors to arrive and figure that out, but I want to go get the wires ready so I can have some extra time to start making those pigtails when the connectors arrived.
Yes. They are all stranded wires. Let me know how this mod turns out.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 AM
2006 ASM tsx

but if you have an 06 tsx... how do you keep your bluetooth!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Guinea Pig

Great job! I'm still waiting for a customer to come in and have me do one for them. Now that there are a few threads ou there, it makes life easier.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

cjams...we need someone like you in ny...lol
Old 02-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vthree
but if you have an 06 tsx... how do you keep your bluetooth!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Only way to keep bluetooth is to get an '06 tuner and DVD ROm for this MOD. It's the first year that his fuctionality became available. I had to give it it up. Not a big deal. Didn't use it really all that much with NON NAVI.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJams
Great job! I'm still waiting for a customer to come in and have me do one for them. Now that there are a few threads ou there, it makes life easier.
Thanks CJAMS,

I've had a couple of folks form Chicago ask me to help them out with this mod. But no one really serious. Not that difficult of a mod. Just time consuming.

Good luck on any future mods.

Wayne
Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Intermediate

hey if u don't mine me asking where did u find or buy the navi and all the parts that came with it cause i'm looking for one and i cant seem to find one anywhere

Quick Reply: Non-Navi To Navi - It can be done!