No Dice!! (more Dension Dice Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Dice!! (more Dension Dice Problems)

Ok, so I guess they put a bad taste in my mouth to begin with when they promised a tracking number in e-mail but never delivered. Then I saw on the forum that these things are problematic. Then I wait almost 10 days before I finally get it. It arrived today.

So needless to say, I was less than thrilled when I saw how cheap the manufacturing is on this thing. The first thing that catches my eye is the cheap stickers that make up the packaging. These things look like they were printed on regular paper in an inkjet printer or something! Then I pull the main box out and the case is so poorly put together, it almost looks broken. Compare the gap on the left here to no gap on the right...

Oh but that's not all even the best part! I look at the cheap paper sticker on the bottom of the box and this is what I see...

@&^&($@#&$%*@#$*!@#!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I call them immediately and tell them what happened. The guy puts me on hold and talks to a tech I presume. He comes back and says "Oh, it probably just has the wrong sticker on it. It will work. Have you tried it yet?" I said "Well, no, I just got it delivered and opened the box." He suggested I try it. Against my better judgement, I rip the car apart and plug the unit it. NOPE! NO DICE!

So I call up again and tell the guy my unit is not working. He says it take 3 minutes to initialize. (WTF?!?!) Well, I inform him it had been playing (as far as the ipod was concerned) for well over 5 and I still had no sound because the head unit doesn't recognize it. He says that I just have to wait a little longer. So I tell him I spoke to someone earlier and that my unit has a Mazda sticker on it. He says "Oh, that was you earlier. I spoke to you. Ok, I will send another unit out."

Well, at least that much was good but so far I am REALLY put off by this company and its product. I mean $170???? "R&D...blah blah blah..." Whatever! This thing is probably built for no more than $20. It is probably worth no more than $60 retail. They're making a killing on selling crap. I'm going to give them a chance by letting me have a unit that actually has a Honda sticker on it and should be the correct hardware. If it does not work first time out though, it is going back for good.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:25 PM
swb
04 TSX w/Nav

Welcome to the club. I am still waiting my replacement promised almost 2 weeks ago after the first unit failed.
Out of curiosity did you speak to DICE or did you speak to the vendor? Also which vendor did you use?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Spoke to Dension. That is where I ordered it from and who I've been calling. Got too busy at work today to call and verify they shipped another unit out. Will do so tomorrow. Ultimately, it will probably end up being a month total before I get a working unit (IF I get one that works!) This just sucks. I left the car ripped apart because I didn't want to constantly be putting stress on the parts but after only a day or two of driving like this, I hate it. If it won't be here for weeks, I'm going to put the car back together this weekend. Now when you say "failed", it was working fine then stopped working all of a sudden?? If that is the case, I'm not looking forward to ripping the car up all the time. I will get my money back now.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 AM
swb
04 TSX w/Nav

No, I mean failed out of the box. It was DOA. I noticed the same thng about the construction though. It was pretty pathetic looking and mine got hot. Very hot to the touch and it wasn't even working. That was just from testing it for half a day trying to get it to work.

It has been a month already sine I paid for the darn thing and I have still yet to have it running.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Ok, just an update. I called and asked if the replacement unit was sent out like promised. Wow!! What do you know?! It had not! The guy asked me who I was, etc. and said that it would be sent out today.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced

wow. not even going to consider the product now. those dice guys really dicing ur patience huh?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Advanced

that black box thing really looks pathetic. looks like something is going to pop out of that box
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Yeah I am seriously considering just ordering the Neo right now and sending all this sh!t back for a refund as soon as I get the replacement. I still haven't put the car back together. Driving me nuts. This would have been a relatively quick and painless project with the right parts.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through almost the EXACT same thing with my '01 CL-S back in May/June (when the Dice unit first came out).

I had my car ripped apart for WEEKS. I will never buy a product from Dension - NEVER, NEVER AGAIN. The Dice unit is absolute junk!

I went with a Blitzsafe and Pro-Clip mount and iPod holder. It's FANTASTIC! Though I cannot control the iPod via the steering wheel and radio (besides volume) but I don't care!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Ok, good news? Bad? Guess it depends on how you look at it. I finally got the replacement in the mail that actually says "Honda" on it. Plug it in... nothing. Reset the stereo... nothing. I called their tech support (I'm willing to jump through hoops if they want) and the guy had me do the same things I already did. He said he would transfer me to my "rep" to get an RMA.

When I got her on the phone (very nice and polite), she said she would gladly refund my money. Then she said "Wait, I think I have some more information here." She proceeded to tell me that she had information on a problem found with Acura CL and TL units and that they had rewritten the firmware. I asked when this occurred and she said on Friday of this last week. So I told her I was tired of having my car torn apart and didn't feel like waiting another week or two. She said that she would overnight the new unit to me along with an RMA for one unit or two. If I find the new unit works fine then just send the other back in. If I find there is still a problem, I can send both back in and she will refund all of my money. I figured it was fair enough to at least try. I will report back what the new unit does when I get it in the next day or two.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Ok, well I got the "new" one in that was supposed to resolve all the problems. It says "R3" on it whereas the others say R2. Guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. STRIKE 3!!!!!!!!!!!!

The woman told me that she actually saw a unit working on a factory radio. Maybe it was a different model or Honda is doing something different with the Acura HU's but it was even WORSE than the other! At least the first one would CHARGE the ipod! This one not only doesn't work but it doesn't even charge the ipod either!! LOL What a POS!!

So my car has been torn apart for over a week now and I am still no closer to a solution. I am just about to pay crazy ass shipping for an ion to be shipped to me overnight. I'm off of work all weekend and looking to get this crap DONE! Now is as good a time as any. I'm going to install a handsfree kit for the cellphone.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

I feel you pain man... had my '01 CL torn apart for over 2 weeks except it was for the PIE unit that didn't work. After shipping multiple units to me, I just gave up. :-(
Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
omg, i am glad that i went with soundgate then, i almost bought a DICE
Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
swb
04 TSX w/Nav

I finally got my second DICE unit last week and had time to install it this weekend in my TSX. Once again this POS did not work. This time I got sound however it was horrible I had to laugh becuase it made my iPod sound like AM radio. What a feat. The good news though is that Enfig also sent me a USA Spec unit PA11-HON2 and it worked like a charm. Wish I would have gone with that from the start because it literally plugged in and worked. The only thing I needed was a P.I.E HON03-F/MM cable which is a Y adapter for the radio. The whole install took me all of about 10 minutes. The hardest part was getting everything buttoned back up once it was in.
All said and done the USA Spec unit was cheaper and worked without a single issue. This device looks to be far better constructed as well and the best part was that it was cheaper. If you have a TSX with Navi I would recomend this setup. Very easy and works great with the factory HU.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Dice unit and it works fine and it does what I want it to do except for one thing. Sometimes the unit doesn't always initialize when I turn on the car. This will happen happen about 3/10 times I start the car (which is pretty annoying). I have the latest firmware also which is firmware 32. I am thinking about getting a USA Spec instead but you can't control all of your playlists through it like you can on the Dice unit. I might end up keeping the Dice unit just because it does everything I want; it charges the Ipod, turns off the Ipod when I turn off the car, allows me to choose through all of my playlists that are on the Ipod and control everything through the steering wheel, can skip by albums as well. All in all it is a great unit just with a small glitch. This is my second unit since I had it replaced. I had an older firmware version 12 now I have a version 32 I-HONDA-R3. I will let everyone know how this ends up.