New Head Unit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:25 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New Head Unit Advice

First off, I have a 1stGen with the bose system.

OK, so I got a new head unit to replace the stock bose, keeping the stock amp and speakers for now. I know that bose is notorious for having to replace everything just to upgrade one component. But I was talking to someone else on this board and he added subs and amp for the subs, new head unit and kept his stock speakers and stock amp. He said all that he did to make the new head unit work with the stock components is get the wiring harness for our car.

So I tried installing my new HU and I have power to it fine, but no sound whatsoever. Is there something I'm missing or am I just going to have to get a new amp and speakers now. I know this has been discussed before but searching on this subject didn't result in one conclusive answer.

Please advise. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Head Unit Advice

Well, from what I understand is that the Bose headunit does not have any power in it. So it is putting out line level signals to the amp. When you hook up your new deck w/ a wiring harness, you are now pumping speaker level signals into the amp, and I am sure it going into protection. Hopefully it has that, or it may be fried now. I don't know.

What you would need to do is get a converter to conver the RCA line level outputs from your new headunit into leads that will go into the stock amp.
Can someone else confirm this for me??

I am going to do the exact opposite. I want to keep my stock headunit and replace the amp and speakers and add an EQ. I want to retain the stock look. I know there is a piece of equipment that converts the wires from the stock HU to RCAs, I just don't know about the other way around

Hope this helps....

Ash