New Door Speaker Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Door Speaker Suggestions

Well, I have decided to change the front door speakers in my TL. I have 5 1/4 Image Chameleons now. They just do not get the job done. To me, they are just too limiting. I have the 6 1/2 Chameleons in my MDX and they will go much lower and much louder with ease. I am going to switch to a 6 1/2 but, the Image is just too big. I want something that will not require alot of metal cutting. Any suggestions? The depth needs to be 2.5" or less and something that with a spacer, will require minimal cutting of metal. I went and heard some Infinity Kappa's today and really like the sound of them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am going with boston pros 6.5... the cutout diameter is 5 in and the depth is less than 2.5 in.... plus they have the axis mounting for the tweeters...
Old 06-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I looked at those. I like the mounting for the tweeer. They are on my short list.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Re: New Door Speaker Suggestions

Originally posted by AcuraX2
I am going to switch to a 6 1/2 but, the Image is just too big. I want something that will not require alot of metal cutting. Any suggestions? The depth needs to be 2.5" or less and something that with a spacer, will require minimal cutting of metal.
I know. I tried out the Kodas yesterday. First of all the fre@## door hole is just 4" wide and abt 4.5" heigh. No matter what you do, if you want a bigger/better component speaker, you'll have to cut the door hole. You will have to consider the spaker basket also, cause in some cases it'll not go thru the hole (happened with me.) Try this link

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=56320

Good luck
Old 06-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Racer

If you want the good stuff, you'll have to cut. The stock opening is so damn small that I doubt any quality 6.5s will fit no matter what spacer you use.

I've already started cutting mine to fit the 6.5 chameleons. I'm going to finish with a die grinder to make sure the cutout is smooth.

I finished one set of spacers.

Hopefully I'll have the passenger side installed this weekend and can post some pics. I have to say that this is not for the weak hearted!

I like systek's logic. No one will ever know you cut the doors unless they take off the panel. I have yet to trade in a car where they pulled the door panel off!

Cheers.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Advanced

I took some mustering up but I got the courage to cut me doors. It hurts seeing as how I have only had the car for about a month. I fit the Rockford Fanatic Q 6.5's in the front with .25 inch to spare on the depth with .75in mdf spacer. I have xtc foam baffles on the way for water protection. I just hope they don't rub against the tint when the window goes down. I cut out a circle big enough for the magent but had to notch out the areas where the terminals were. Even though I could have mounted my tweets on the mid with the tweeter bridge I instead went with mounting them on the mirror garnish thing.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I am just a big Type R fan. Mine do the job but also had to hack the door. I heard the Infinty kappas where awesome, give them a try.

How about those Alpine F1 component, they are only listed at $4,000 and the amp that Alpine suggest is only another $3,000.

Well u have one of the best amps on the market, so power isnt a issue, what do u think of the Diamond Audio M6 or Polk Momo.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

the ba pros should fit without having to cut anything... i will let you know this weekend when i install mine...
Old 06-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do realize I will probably have to cut. I just want a good speaker that I will not have to cut alot. I tried the Alpine Type R and the Image Dynamics and both of those were just beasts that would require a ton of cutting. I just do not want to do that.

Shawhite....please do let me know about the Boston's. No cutting might be worth the extra cost of them.

I really do like the sound of the Kappa's. I just have not found a cutout diameter on them yet.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah the bostons are a little pricey... i paid $400 for my pro 6.5 and nx67.... the cutting diameter on the boston pros are 5in which would fit without cutting if the basket is not to big.... but my speakers will be here friday and i will post pictures along as soon as i get them installed... if anyone is interested i have the diamond audio door speakers i bought for sell... they are the m661 components and the m361I coxials... both sets are brand new.... pm me if you are interested...
Old 06-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Racer

Hit page 4 of my mods page. I took pictures of the ID 5 1/4s vs the ID 6 1/2s. Night and day.

If you want to play in the "big league" you're going to have to cut and fabricate. Whether you cut 1/4 in. or 3/4 in. from the doors, what's the difference? Nobody but you will ever know. Find the speakers you like and do what it takes to get them in.

My work schedule right now is ridiculous, 72 hours per week. I have to use the few hours I'm home to finish the current project list I have going....fit the 6.5s, retrofit the Alpine ERE-G180 in place of the AC THREE.1, and build a box for the ID MAX sub.

I try to take pictures where I think they will help and post them on my mods page.

Cheers.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by bozzchem
Hit page 4 of my mods page. I took pictures of the ID 5 1/4s vs the ID 6 1/2s. Night and day.

If you want to play in the "big league" you're going to have to cut and fabricate. Whether you cut 1/4 in. or 3/4 in. from the doors, what's the difference? Nobody but you will ever know. Find the speakers you like and do what it takes to get them in.

My work schedule right now is ridiculous, 72 hours per week. I have to use the few hours I'm home to finish the current project list I have going....fit the 6.5s, retrofit the Alpine ERE-G180 in place of the AC THREE.1, and build a box for the ID MAX sub.

I try to take pictures where I think they will help and post them on my mods page.

Cheers.

WOW

72 hours a week, are you a ER doc. Did u find a trick for the EQ without the trim plate.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Racer

No, I'm not a doc. I'm a consultant...which means I'm the whipping boy for whoever is willing to pay me. I only have to work these hours through June. After this project is over, I'm going to take a month off. I'll need it.

As far as the EQ goes, one of my local shops is ordering me a trim ring to fit. I have Sunday off so hopefully I will get the ID 6.5s in. If not, I'll at least get the doors cut properly and can work on it when I get home...

I have to say that the installation of this system has been the longest, hardest, most aggravating of any other system I have put together.

It had better sound pretty damn good when I'm done!
Old 06-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

as much as i didnt want to do it i went ahead this weekend and cut the doors... they came out pretty good too... i thought the bostons would fit without cutting and they would all except the big ass connection block on the side... basically i came to the conclusion to fit any decent 6.5 in the door you will have to do a little cutting...here are a couple pictures of what my door looked like before and after... http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...3737&members=1