CL: New Amplifier + Subs.. Power but no Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Amplifier + Subs.. Power but no Sound

I have been lurking for some time to try to figure out this problem but I am out of options. I have 2 Hifonics Hfi12d4 Subwoofers, a SPL Gorilla series 1250 amp, and almost brand new wires for the speakers.

For some reason I have power but no sound coming out of my subwoofers. I plugged a y cable from my mp3 player to the amp and got bass + sound and everything but when i plugged some new rca wires from the radio to amp I still dont get sound.

I have a 1997 Acura 3 Cl, the stock radio was replaced with a JVC KDR210 headunit with a wiring harness. The radio works and plays fine but my subs still have no sound. I changed almost all the wires, played around with the ground, and rewired my subs twice and I get power but no sound.

Has anybody had a problem similar to this? or Can anybody tell me if the stock amplifier could be causing the problem because I read that is a problem in Acuras. Im not sure if its the headunit itself but it would be weird because I just got it a year ago.

I know its a lot of reading but I dont know what else to do.. At this point, I am almost considering selling all this but I would feel defeated if I didnt try to get it working... So any help?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just went through this whole thing with my car, but it seems like you have a different problem component since it works fine with your mp3 play. Your problem is either your head unit or rca wires.

Here are a few things to check.

1. make sure your rca's are plugged into the subwoofer output plugs behind the radio (some head units come with a few rca outputs and inputs back there)

2. Check your settings in the head unit to be sure that subwoofer output is actually turned on. It may be helpful to find an owners manual online if you dont still have yours.

3. If you have a multimeter, you can do a quick resistance check on the rca's to make sure there isnt a break somewhere in the wires.(let me know if you need to know how to do this)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the response.. as far as the rca output there is only one pair in the back and I have the rca wires fully plugged in on both the head unit + amp though no sound. I checked the manual and turned the subwoofer setting on but after playing with all of that my subs still have no sound. I played around with it plenty of times but it doesnt work.

Now I thought the rca wires itself would be a problem the first wires i had didnt work but I accidentally ripped the head off one of the plugs. Unless the rca cables I bought today from walmart dont work, I highly doubt that is the problem.

This leaves the headunit or the stock bose amp that could be the problem. My head unit was wired up with a aftermarket wiring harness and its worked fine just not with these subs or amps. I tried two different amps and neither have worked with the headunit. But why would the line out suddenly stop working... So is it the headunit or is the bose amp somehow screwing with my sound?

Im going to try to take my car by a shop this week. But I just want some help so nobody tries to screw me over at a shop by buying more equipment. Do you remember what exactly you had to do to get your system working?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced

well, i need a new sub, but since you hooked up an mp3 player to your and it worked, Id say your sub and amp aren't the problem. I did the same test with mine and it didn't work.

The factory amp shouldnt have anything to do with the outputs on your aftermarket head unit. The head unit takes care of getting the bass channels and dispersing them to whatever speakers its called for, so if your getting some bass out of your door speakers, it should have a problem getting that signal and sending it to the rca outputs on the back of the radio unless you have an internal head unit problem.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
4th Gear

Yeah it might just be a head unit problem, I didnt get a chance to take it to a shop today but it probably wouldnt matter they would just come back and tell me its my head unit. Its just weird how the rca outputs on my head unit could be messed up though. I was really just hoping it was something simple but nothing is simple with this car.

The worse thing that has happened to my car was a little accident but it shouldnt have been enough to mess up the headunit. But at this point, I'm going to be pissed if I have to buy another headunit cause I already bought a new amp thinking that was the problem.

Lol I feel a little crazy now because I dont want to admit it that I might need a new headunit because I really do not want to spend the money. I might have to sell the other amp that was in my car unless there is a way to test another headunit in my car...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Advanced

I had an old head unit that I swapped during my troubleshooting, All I connected was power, ground, ign and remote. Then I plugged my rcas in that go to my sub and I still got nothing. Pretty unlikely that my head unit is the problem since this spare I have has been sitting still for about 6 months.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
4th Gear

Well I took it to the shop today and it was the headunit. Apparently my rca inputs had gone bad... I dont know if it was the accident I had or what but I think im through with JVC I went with a Sony. I like JVC's sound quality better, but if those inputs went bad that quick in less than a year then Im officially through with JVC.

Hooking it up to the Sony everything was straight, but I got to figure out how to tune everything now. My subwoofers have sound but they are playing real low. Guess its finally time to have fun now lol.

I think my dad wants to buy the other amp off me so Im straight with that. But I dont know what to do with this other headunit...