Neon Lighting In My 2.5 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neon Lighting In My 2.5 TL?

I have those Neon Lights under both front seats of my first gen tl, however currently I have them connected via 12V socket outlet. I was wondering should I buy the Neon lights without the socket adapter, how would I go about connecting the Neon Lighting to a 12 volt power source? Perferably the closest and least notcible from BOTH the trunk and front seat!!! I really need help on this one since I know nothing about this Thank You Very Much!
Old 12-02-2001, 10:12 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you dont have to use a common power wire for both the trunk and the front seat.
For the trunk, you can pop the trunk light and tap into it. That way your neon will only come when the trunk is open. I dont think you wanna turn neon on when the trunk is closed.

For the front seat, you can tap into a constant power wire and use a switch to control the neon. You can check the terminals behind the fuse box for constant power source. I have a CL but I dont know about TLs. Maybe one of the TL guys will tell you the info.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:08 PM
Banned

Trunk:What do you mean pop the trunk light to connect the wire???

Underseat:Where is the fuse box located exactly? There are so many wires i can't figure it out cause i'm electronicly stupid.

And how do I connect the wires? I don't understand how you would connect the wires to a terminal? Thank You!
Old 12-02-2001, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

sup guys, i'm also interested in putting some neons in my car, what color and type of neon do you have chadhova?
Old 12-02-2001, 06:31 PM
Banned

Currently I have 4 9" and 2 6" neons under the seat but i have to connect them in the socket outlet with an adapter I'm going to buy the big 20 inches (neons ) and connect them to an constant power source in both the trunk and underseat but I don't know how cause i'm really ****ty with electronics. Das why i asking for help!!!
Old 12-02-2001, 10:43 PM
...and then there was One

The fuse box is on the right side of the dash, when you open the passenger door. If you don't know about electronics, I wouldn't reccomend you tapping into a spot in there.
For the trunk, you can take the trunk light out, and either conect the positive wire for your neon inside the socket, or get a wire tap, or find some way of connecting the positive wire for the neon to the positive wire going to the trunk light. The negative can be attached to the negative wire, or just connect it to any screw that is screwed to the chassis.
Someone posted an excellent thread about installing footwell lighting (with pictures, oooh). He used the power outlet in our middle compartment, just tapped into that. Search for that thread; he made step by step instructions.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SimTypeS
The fuse box is on the right side of the dash, when you open the passenger door. If you don't know about electronics, I wouldn't reccomend you tapping into a spot in there.
If not there then where could I connect the neons and if I want to put neons from the drivers side do i have to run it across to the passenger side? Cause I actually was hoping to hide these things...all i need is some 12V power source close to each seat, thanx much!
Old 12-03-2001, 09:31 AM
...and then there was One

Try this thread: http://www.geocities.com/sniper_mjh/Floor_lighting.htm

As you can see, that power he uses is right there between the front seats. Are you planning on installing yours in the footwell, or under the seats?
Old 12-03-2001, 09:59 AM
Advanced

All this talk about tapping, do you guys know what you are actually tapping? If you haven't an idea about the which wires, then it's beneficial to run an indiscreet power source straight from the battery. By, "Tapping" you are adding amperage to which ever 12 volt line you tap. Gauging the the size of the majority of the tiny wires, (excluding than the constant from the ignition) and the amperage draw from the neons, you shouldn't place more than one neon on the same power source if you do 'tap'. By doing so, you create an overdraw in current and heat/melt that wire, blow a fuse if lucky. This will you cause many aches and pains for you to replace/repair, not to mention $$$. So if you do not know where that current is coming from, play it the safe way and route a 12-16 gauge power source straightly directed from the battery (fuse recommended).
Old 12-03-2001, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u could run all hot wires through a relay and have the relay kick in when you open your door or trunk. That way you should be able to use small wires to existing switches without worrying about current draw. but this requires more confidence in electrical connections.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SimTypeS
Try this thread: http://www.geocities.com/sniper_mjh/Floor_lighting.htm

As you can see, that power he uses is right there between the front seats. Are you planning on installing yours in the footwell, or under the seats?
Under the seats!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ReQuest
All this talk about tapping, do you guys know what you are actually tapping? If you haven't an idea about the which wires, then it's beneficial to run an indiscreet power source straight from the battery. By, "Tapping" you are adding amperage to which ever 12 volt line you tap. Gauging the the size of the majority of the tiny wires, (excluding than the constant from the ignition) and the amperage draw from the neons, you shouldn't place more than one neon on the same power source if you do 'tap'. By doing so, you create an overdraw in current and heat/melt that wire, blow a fuse if lucky. This will you cause many aches and pains for you to replace/repair, not to mention $$$. So if you do not know where that current is coming from, play it the safe way and route a 12-16 gauge power source straightly directed from the battery (fuse recommended).
Is there a site that sells these batteries for the small electronics? Or actually that sells all the parts? thanx