RDX: Need some help OBD-II

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 06:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help OBD-II

Hi all, I have a 2020 RDX and I want to get a dash cam. I think I found a Garmin that I like. It says it can record 24/7 even if my car is off as long as I plug it into the OBD-II port. What is that, and is that safe? Should I do it or could that pose some sort of problem for the vehicle? Could it drain the battery of the car? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:25 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumping
Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Can't speak to the battery draining as it depends on how often the dash cam runs when the car is off. There are other dash cams that have proprietary battery management software that will stop recording once the battery hits a certain level (see Power Magic Pro). . dashcams plugged into OBD2 ports are quite common though..
Old 03-08-2022, 05:30 PM
dgy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by samantha.winslow
Hi all, I have a 2020 RDX and I want to get a dash cam. I think I found a Garmin that I like. It says it can record 24/7 even if my car is off as long as I plug it into the OBD-II port. What is that, and is that safe? Should I do it or could that pose some sort of problem for the vehicle? Could it drain the battery of the car? Thanks in advance.
The OBDII -- On Board Diagnostics, version II (2) -- connector allows techs/dealers to "talk" to the computers in your car. The connector is typically located just under the dashboard, near your left knee (driver seat). See attached pic. Note that it is shaped in such a way that you can't plug anything into it "upside down".

As a side-effect, it provides a means of connecting to the car's battery (+ and -). Because it is present on all new cars, it's often used just for that purpose. ("cigarette lighters" usually don't keep power on when the key is turned off)

If you have one of those "snooper" plans with your car insurance provider, there may be something presently plugged into the OBDII (your insurer wants to chat with the car to get an idea as to your driving habits).

And, of course, if you bring your car in for service, they will need to access that connector so anything plugged into it will likely be unplugged -- even if only temporarily.

In theory, anything plugged into it can discharge your battery -- because there is nothing that interrupts the flow of power to this connector. So, it is up to the camera (in your case) to decide not to discharge the battery. If you have "typical" driving habits, one would assume the camera's design would take that into account.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help OBD-II-connector.jpg