need quick help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005 | 04:07 PM
Advanced

need quick help...

Ok so im adding an amp/sub to my 01 cl. Ive done installs before on other cars, but this one is giving me a headache. I have the stock amp disconnected and everything and now im stuck. Im trying to add a second amp to power 2 10's. I run the power wire from the battery and i splice the ground, etc. BUT, where do i hook up my amp outputs/inputs on the stock amp because i read that you could do that. Ive already checked the DIY threads and im stuck. Maybe Im dumb, maybe working in 100 degree weather isnt smart either, but PLEASE HELP! maybe you could even post a step by step on what to do from here. all i have tto do is hook up a second amp with my existing bose amp. thanks, chas
Old 07-21-2005 | 04:28 PM
Advanced

Ok so ive cooled off a bit and MAY have solved my question ofter reading silverknighs DIY. Do I just completly cut in half the hole wiring that plugs into the stock amp? Just reconnect all of the speaker wires and use the ground? Im still confused on the RCA outputs...dont I have to have those?? PLEASE HELP SOON! LOL
Old 07-21-2005 | 10:48 PM
Advanced

Anyone?? Please
Old 07-22-2005 | 01:24 AM
El Presidente

when i installed a sub n amp to the stock system on an 01 CL, i jsut spliced the signal from one of the rear speakers and put it into a Line Output Converter, and then from there into the amp.
Old 07-22-2005 | 12:18 PM
Advanced

which wire did you splice though? Thats what Im so confused about? One of the ones that are not used?

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE TO PROVIDE QUICK HELP?
Old 07-22-2005 | 01:30 PM
Advanced

Alright just went over to bestbuy and bought a line output converter, Im assuming i splice into the rear speaker wires? Then Splice into the remote and ground? Then hook up my power and subs and i should be good? Any helpful people on now just to reassure me this is what i do?!?
Old 07-22-2005 | 01:50 PM
VP Electricity

look, every time I try to read your post I get confused and I have to dribble on my chin to figure out which way is up.

Your CL HU sends preamp signal to an OEM amp in the trunk. THis amp sends F and R signals.

You want to add an amp for two 10" subs, right?

DOes your amp have "high level inputs"? If it does, that's an internal LOC. COnnect those wires to the R 6x9 wires.

If not, connect the speaker wires from the rear 6x9s to the inputs of the LOC, run the OPs of the LOC to the 10"s, and make sure your LowPass xover switch on the amp is on. (Note: the 6x9s can remain connected).

And next time you need help, explain what you have, exactly what you are doing, and use your

Return

key

a lot. It will help people understand what you need help with.
Old 07-23-2005 | 12:01 AM
Advanced

nevermind I am confused.
I think I'm just going to return the converter and call it quits.
Ill just save up time and money and do it all from the HU.
Unless someone can actually help me.

eledude - my amp has RCA inputs. I'm confused by what your saying. If it does indeed have high level inputs what wires do i connect to the 6/9s? you didnt say,

Also, what about the remote wire?
Old 07-23-2005 | 12:41 PM
Advanced

morning bump. anyo e help on the above questiob please.
Old 07-23-2005 | 12:48 PM
Advanced

My amp has high level inputs as well as RCA inputs. I have always used the RCA's so that is why I am confused.

2 questions- I'm still stumped on the remote wire?
Do i just run thin speaker wires from the high level inputs to the rear 6x9's?
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:13 PM
Advanced

OK so after trying to do this hassle i think i may have got it. SOMEONE please tell my you can follow along: \
1) I splice the 4 rear speaker wires and put those into the High level inputs on the aftermarket amp, as well as back into the stock amp.
2)Cavity 5 (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/cl-radio-amp-wire-diagrams-300743/) is my remote/radio switch. I splice it and do the same to it as number 1.
3) Cavity 16 is my ground, i do the same as the above.
Is this right?

MODS - sorry for all the posts I am frustrated beyond belief. I have done installs on other cars but never this complicated (because of the stock amp lol)
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:16 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by chschn87
Unless someone can actually help me.
Give 'em books and give 'em books, and all they do is eat the covers.

Your amp needs a signal to amplify.

If you had an aftermarket deck that signal would be on RCA cables out the back of the deck. These are called "pre-outs" because they are pre-amplified.

Since you don't, there are other solutions.

The one that most people use is to use the "high level inputs" on your amp and connect those to the speaker wires at the 6x9s. That gives them a sginal.

Or you could use an external LOC, which is often better than the LOC inside the amp - but not really that critical on a sub amp, many feel.

If you wanted to, you could grab the signal pre-outs from the OEM HU that go to the OEM amp. Again, many feel it's not worth it for subs.

Does your amp have a manual? Have you read it? Just wondering...
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elduderino
Give 'em books and give 'em books, and all they do is eat the covers.

Your amp needs a signal to amplify.

If you had an aftermarket deck that signal would be on RCA cables out the back of the deck. These are called "pre-outs" because they are pre-amplified.

Since you don't, there are other solutions.

The one that most people use is to use the "high level inputs" on your amp and connect those to the speaker wires at the 6x9s. That gives them a sginal.

Or you could use an external LOC, which is often better than the LOC inside the amp - but not really that critical on a sub amp, many feel.

If you wanted to, you could grab the signal pre-outs from the OEM HU that go to the OEM amp. Again, many feel it's not worth it for subs.

Does your amp have a manual? Have you read it? Just wondering...
Yes i know what RCA pre outs are. I am not trying to prelace the HU. aftermarket HU's RCA'S plug right into the back, you are correct.
I am going to use the high level inputs on my amp. Its a crappy sony xplod. I am using it until i get my other one back, so i do not have a manual for it.
BUT, can you verify that my above post will work? Can I do those three steps?thats what answer i am looking for. I do appreciate your help!!
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:59 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by chschn87
I do appreciate your help!!
Than stop making sarcastic cracks about it...

I don't know the wiring on that car so I'm not going to say that it would work.

I'd grab the speaker wires at the speakers.

If you have a voltmeter you can check your remote turn on much more reliably than trusting me or anyone else. Do you have one?
Old 07-23-2005 | 02:04 PM
Advanced

no i said i do appreciate your help, whats sarcastic about that. I'm just trying to get an answer and you reply with stuff that helps me, but not answers to my specific questions.

No, i do not have a voltemeter.

Anyone who has an 01 cl who has done this install please feel free to help.