Need more volume!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more volume!

I own a 2000 TL w/Navi and there are times when I've pushed the stereo all the way and wanted more . So I decided the best thing to do was get a new HU which would give more power and let me play mp3's. I think the sub's pretty good. I'm not a major audiophile willing to spend huge bucks but my past experience tells me I can get a great improvement with just a new HU and probably new front door speakers eventually (who cares about the back seat folks!)

I've already searched this place (frustrating with all the dead links and disjointed info. But then, it IS an OLD car that I just bought isn't it??) and found out how to keep the sub working and take things apart but I have these questions:

1. Can anyone tell me how well the aftermarket faceplate(right term?) available at places like Crutchfield matches the color and texture of my dash plastic? I'm suspicious with all this talk about wet sanding and painting.

2. If I end up buying an Alpine HU, PAC makes an SWI-X and an SWI-ALP to keep steering wheel controls. What's the difference?

3. And last, is this the easiest way to get more sound, i.e. am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 PM
10th Gear

BUMP! Jeez, two days and not one response. I noticed someone else got a good response by just announcing they're new. Maybe I'll have to do that next.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Jaymann107

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if there is a big difference between your 2000 TL and my 2001 CL but the aftermarket radio kit I purchised from CC did not match that great but it wasn't that bad to where it would bother me.

As far as the steering wheel controls I really don't know because I did not bother to keep them. A $60-70 adapter didn't really seem worth it to me.
Now once I did replace my headunit I thought my system sounded 10 times better than it did with the stock unit. So I say YES replacing the stock headunit is the cheapest and easiest way to get more/better sound from your system. I hope this helps.
Later
Jay
Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, great picture by the way. Yeah the plastic isn't a great match which is why I got to wondering if there was another easier way like adding an amp in the circuit somewhere. I never had steering wheel controls before but my lazy butt loves just moving the left thumb a little to change it.

I thought the navi might make things different but I can see now that it isn't. Where my HVAC controls are you have some kind of slide out tray.

Did you keep the factory sub working by tapping into the input near the EQ?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
here comes the snow!

Jaymann107

so all you did is replace the stock headunit and you say the sound is much better?
just curious what the sound is like after swapping headunit without changing speakers.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
here comes the snow!

dbsborg,

i have a new jvc headunit in box never used if you need one, i'll sell it cheap.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 PM
3.2L Vtec

Originally Posted by Dbsborg
I own a 2000 TL w/Navi and there are times when I've pushed the stereo all the way and wanted more . So I decided the best thing to do was get a new HU which would give more power and let me play mp3's. I think the sub's pretty good. I'm not a major audiophile willing to spend huge bucks but my past experience tells me I can get a great improvement with just a new HU and probably new front door speakers eventually (who cares about the back seat folks!)

I've already searched this place (frustrating with all the dead links and disjointed info. But then, it IS an OLD car that I just bought isn't it??) and found out how to keep the sub working and take things apart but I have these questions:

1. Can anyone tell me how well the aftermarket faceplate(right term?) available at places like Crutchfield matches the color and texture of my dash plastic? I'm suspicious with all this talk about wet sanding and painting.

2. If I end up buying an Alpine HU, PAC makes an SWI-X and an SWI-ALP to keep steering wheel controls. What's the difference?

3. And last, is this the easiest way to get more sound, i.e. am I on the right track?

Thanks!
1. the face plate is probably similar to the one you can purchase from circuit city... If you are anal about things matching then hit up uncald for a custom piece.

2. Both steering wheel adapter, from what I read have major lag and hence i never purchased one

3. if your not going to change your speaker, you might want to consider getting an adapter to USE your bose amp and not bypass it... Once again vendor uncald can help you with this..

Hope this helps
Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Jaymann107

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Since I have a CL there is no factory sub (so I added one)

2. Yes after just replacing the radio and keeping the factory speakers the sound improved greatly. But since you guys have TL's there might be a step or two you might have to take in order to get your factory sub to work with an aftermarket radio.
good luck and once every thing is sadi and done post some pictures
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Factory amps tend to be weak.

Dsborg,
You don't necessarily have to get rid of the stock head unit.

You have products like the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty (Top of the line)
or the JL Audio Cleansweep

which allow you to keep the head unit with all its functionality, while adding aftermarket amps.

As far as you being on the right track, read this article. maybe it will help you decide:
How to upgrade your sound system
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the posts and ideas. But it looks like I'll have to put this project on hold as I've decided new tires are the priority.

This is my first winter in this car and I was hoping to get through it with the Turanza's that came on it with maybe 10,000 miles left. But I can honestly say that between the car and the tires (not sure which contributes more) this is the worst performing car in the snow that I've ever had. I've had a couple of close calls. We seem to be getting lots of storms here in Maine this year and my one way commute is 50 miles. I'm going to go with Yokohama AVID V4S. I discovered that there aren't a lot of V-rated 205/60-16's out there.

Thanks again, this place is great.