Need help on install

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help on install

I have an '03 CL-S and I know almost nothing about car stereo and I need some help. I have some Kenwood Excelon equipment on the way (KAC-X541 amp, KDC-X689 receiver, KFC-X1700P components, and KFC-X690 rears) and need some help on what else I need for the install. I'm going to order the Metra kit 99-7868, an amp install kit and 2 sets of RCA interconnects. Which wire harness I am supposed to order - 70-1721 or 71-1721 or both? I want to be sure I get radio reception after install. Is there anything else I need? Should I replace the speaker wire? If so, with what gauge/brand? What gauge is the speaker wire in the car now? Anything else you can recommend (besides getting different equipment... I got a good deal on the Kenwood stuff)? Thanks for the help.

Babber
Old 08-22-2005, 02:14 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Your 03 CL_S has an amp and a separate Bose processor module in the back passenger corner of the trunk.

The harness you get is almost irrelevant if you are replacing the OEM amp with a new amp.

The HU only needs ACC(+), Constant (+), and Ground from the harness, and maybe illumination.

Then you need to run RCA's for F and R, and a remote turn on lead, back to the amp (I'd run a ground too).

If you DO get a harness, do NOTHING with the speaker wires on it - leave them taped off.

THe speakers will all get grabbed back at the amp location in the trunk.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
Your 03 CL_S has an amp and a separate Bose processor module in the back passenger corner of the trunk.

The harness you get is almost irrelevant if you are replacing the OEM amp with a new amp.

The HU only needs ACC(+), Constant (+), and Ground from the harness, and maybe illumination.

Then you need to run RCA's for F and R, and a remote turn on lead, back to the amp (I'd run a ground too).

If you DO get a harness, do NOTHING with the speaker wires on it - leave them taped off.

THe speakers will all get grabbed back at the amp location in the trunk.
Should I get the new amp installed where the old one is? Is there room? The Kenwood is about 17.5" x 10.5" x 2.5". Will I have to worry about the amp overheating?

I'm assuming you're saying I don't need to change the speaker wire. Is that correct?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Babber
Should I get the new amp installed where the old one is? Is there room? The Kenwood is about 17.5" x 10.5" x 2.5". Will I have to worry about the amp overheating?

I'm assuming you're saying I don't need to change the speaker wire. Is that correct?

I don't think the aftermarket amp will fit in the stock location, although i could be wrong. I would suggest you put the amp in the trunk though