need help desperately :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help desperately :(

I am having trouble wiring an aftermarket amp and sub. I wired the amp no problem, were I am having trouble is getting the sub to work.

I have done all the searches and looked at a ton of threads on this subject and everone is saying that this is pretty simple.

I have tapped into the wires inside the brown sheath and used to different ways to connect to the amp:

1) directly connect the + and - to rca ends and then connect it to the amp

2) I have used a loc and bridged the four wires into two and conncected that to rca cables and then to the amp

both these did not work!!

I have a 2000 with nav and I don't know if this makes a difference in the wiring...

any help would be appreciated especially with pics so that I can compare...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what wires are you taping into... before the amp or after the amp...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Instructor

I was tapping before the amp. Is that the right thing to do?

I was also going to post pics but the pic is to large a file for this forum or something...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Behind the rear seat back on the right side is the factory 100w sub amp that has a line level signal going into it. Most people just tap this signal to feed their aftermarket sub amp. The signal is from a twisted pair of wires in a brown sheath(blu/grn +) and (orn/blu -) that lead into the factory amp. simply tap these wires with a few feet of 16-18 gauge wire and end it with an RCA plug which will go into the new amp.

The other choice is to use a LOC that is connected to the factory sub speaker wires. Consider this though, you will be using a signal that has been amplified-reduced to line level-then amplified again, which does degrade the signal quality.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Instructor

thanks for the responses guys, I was able to finally get it to work by connecting directly without the loc...

peace