Need help on 12V power source

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 08:47 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Unhappy Need help on 12V power source

Somebody, please help me with directions on how to get a 12V power source. I want to get this power not directly from battery. Need to get it on the fuse box.

Or, if somebody can tell me how to get a 12V power from the trunk, that's where I needed it anyway. I wan to install my bazooka in the trunk.

thanks.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many amps is your bazooka drawing....? either way you wanna feed a good line to it anyways almost all installers run the power for amp stright from the battery from the front with thick wires , that helps for better sound, and full power, you should do that
Old 03-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by asiankidd
how many amps is your bazooka drawing....? either way you wanna feed a good line to it anyways almost all installers run the power for amp stright from the battery from the front with thick wires , that helps for better sound, and full power, you should do that
Mandy you will not be able to get enough juice through your fuse block to power anything large, or a bazooka tube. Like asiankidd said you should run a power wire directly from your battery. Make sure you throw a fuse on it within 18 inches of your battery too. I ran mine along the passenger side of the vehicle. Its up to you which side you do it on, just make sure you do not run your RCA's down the same side. All the panels in the car come off pretty easy. Drop me a line if you have any questions.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:45 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

12V

Thanks.

I will do what you recommended.

Where do I tap the speakers?

I have a line converter to RCA's.

The rear speakers are ok?

I see a resistor in the rear speakers, what is that for? For overload?
Old 03-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

A line converter is not preferred, but I haven't yanked the factory head unit out yet to see if it has pre-outs. Then again, it is a life-saver for keeping factory units without the pre-outs. Some help on that would be appreciated everyone. You can splice into the wires that go in to your rear speakers for your input signal for the converter. The resistors on the speakers are to protect them. It sounds like you are wiring a pre-amplified Bazooka, which is the way to go if you want the bass without the effort. Run the biggest gauge wire that the tube will accept...either a 4 or 6. The lower the number, the thicker the wire, the better for longer runs, such as this one. Don't forget to have a clean ground to keep noise to a minimum and like they said, run the power wire on the opposite side of the car that the RCAs are run.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Pro

check out this site

http://www.linkmeup.com/

and then this thread here:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...se+and+adapter
Old 03-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link nameeri, but :wow: $100 :wow: is a little steep for me when I can just cut and splice, although that is a great alternative for those guys who don't have the skills or want to invest the time, but I need to save some dough for other mods.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
just a quick question.. why can't u run RCA's on the same side as ur power line??? i always wondered that... my friend told me not to do it so i didn't but never knew the answer why... newayz.. yeah u gonna need a direct line from the battery... tap into the rear speakers for the hig/lows... thats what i did with my sub cause i kept the factory HU... hits nice.. and GL... remember power first then ground hehehehe
Old 03-12-2002, 06:21 AM
Burning Brakes

why can't u run RCA's on the same side as ur power line???

If you run the power line with the RCA cables, you will get interference from the power wire that will "leak" into the RCAs causing some nasty signals. :yack:
Old 03-14-2002, 11:28 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Ready to do it!

Help!

Ok, guys, I am ready to do this project this weekend. Help me some more, I need to know how to take off the seat, hot to take off the panels where I need to run my 12V positive wire.

I found an option to add a circuit "add a circuit" from AutoZone. Or I can use a Direct "add a circuit" from the battery. I am leaning towards the Fuse block "add a circuit" so I start from the bottom of the steering column. Both come with a Fuse. 10 amps ok? I have an 8" powered Bazooka Tube, 100 watts.

So, help.....tell me how to take off the back seats.......I do not like to sweat much more than I need to...

Thanks in advance....

Mandy
Old 03-14-2002, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Ready to do it!

Originally posted by Mandy
Help!

Ok, guys, I am ready to do this project this weekend. Help me some more, I need to know how to take off the seat, hot to take off the panels where I need to run my 12V positive wire.

I found an option to add a circuit "add a circuit" from AutoZone. Or I can use a Direct "add a circuit" from the battery. I am leaning towards the Fuse block "add a circuit" so I start from the bottom of the steering column. Both come with a Fuse. 10 amps ok? I have an 8" powered Bazooka Tube, 100 watts.

So, help.....tell me how to take off the back seats.......I do not like to sweat much more than I need to...

Thanks in advance....

Mandy
Mandy Mandy Mandy. if you are going to do that(against our recommendations) get your instruction manual out for the bazooka tube, and take a look at what size fuse that it will require. Why do you need to remove your seat? All you have to do is run your power wire on the driver side and pull the side of the back seat away and you should be able to get the wire through. You may need to remove the plastic panel right there. Dang if you lived closer I would just run you a power wire from the battery for you.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i agree with wam... its much easier like that and u can possibly have probs with fuses too.. its a biach to change and maintain too
Old 03-14-2002, 01:02 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

hey wampun, i owuld love to have you here!

thanks. i do not have the manual for the bazooka. 10 amps not enough?

i just need a nice bass....not the humpin...kind....

thanks again!
Old 03-15-2002, 01:40 AM
Banned

Mandy:

If you're looking to install your sub...I've outlined two ways to grab the signal here:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=34141

Also, all you have to do to run the wires is find out the amount of current your setup draws (call Bazooka)...I'd say 20A or so. Get an inline fuse holder, take some 4 gauge power wire, cut a 12" piece off, clamp an eyering on one end and attach it to your battery + clamp through the screw. Connect the inline fuse gauge to the other end, then connect another piece to the other end of the inline fuse holder, run the wire through the grommet down by the drivers side of the car by lubing and cutting the grommet, run it behind your drivers' side trim and into the back of the car. Connect it to your amp, then take another piece of wire, attach an eyering to one end, connect it to the - of your amp, then find a screw under your carpet or around your seats that goes into the frame, unscrew it, sand a space the size of the eyering so you get good contact, then screw it back in. Connect your signal wires as I outlined in that other thread, and you're done. Easy.

Austin519
Old 03-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mandy
hey wampun, i owuld love to have you here!

i just need a nice bass....not the humpin...kind....

thanks again!
:wow: I'll be right over!:wow:
Old 03-15-2002, 11:27 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

you crack me up wampum!

love those cl-s tires on your ride!

someday, i will have them, too.

with your help, i hope!
Old 03-17-2002, 08:04 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Wampum or anybody!

I am all set to do my install.....will somebody tell me which wire is positive and negative on the Rear Speakers?????

I will tap on the Rears for my input on my BAzooka.

Help!

Thanks....