Need advice on TL-S Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on TL-S Audio Upgrade

I have an Alpine 11-band EQ with sub-out/ cariable crossover and F/R fader control. I also have a Kenwood amp (4x70 MAX, 4x35 @ 4 ohm w/ 0.08% THD or 2x35+1x100, 2x100 - 4x50W at 2 ohm) - great amp. I have a pair of high-end Pioneer Premier 5.25" separates (2-way) that are amazing. And I have about $750 to blow on audio stuff including install work.

I used to sell and install mobile audio way back so I have decent knowledge but the days of the earthshaking bass are long past (saving my ears). Now I'm just interested in overall audiophile sound quality in a small package.

Looking for advice on a strategy to upgrade the TL-S sounds system while using what I already have most efficiently. My big requirement is that any sub must be easily removable when I need max trunk space for the baby stroller and crap.

Here's my plan at this point:

1) Install EQ and the Pioneer Premieres up front (they can use a fitting ring to mount the 5.25" in a 6.3" mount)

2) Remove the 9" sub to provide a vent for new sub in trunk. I hear that the TL trunk is well sealed and you need some decent power and SPF to get the bass through unless you vent through the opening? Other option would be to use 9" for mid-bass or as a passive radiator.

3) Run the Kenwood amp with 2x35 @ 4ohm going to the Pioneers up front (via EQ x-over set at 80Hz), and 2x50W (RMS) going to 2 10" paralleled at 2 ohm or 1x100W going to 1 10" @ 4 ohm. The advantage to running 2 10's is I can run the amp at 2 ohm, the disadvantage is I need a larger encloser. Also two speakers add 3 or 6db SPF (I can't remember which) without any increase in applification as opposed to just one cone. With 1 10" the box can be smaller but I would need to find a 2 ohm sub to get the most out of the amp.

4) Leave the stock Bose amp only running the rear stock speakers (and adjust fader so 70% volume is up front).

Other options would be to use stock amp for front and rear and run Kenwood at 2x100 (4 ohm) to 2 10's but I am not sure how good the specs are on the Bose amp. Considering it is powering 5 speakers stock, probably not very good.

Whadaya think?
Old 07-27-2001, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

some suggestions:
1) Just huck the factory stuff out, it's garbage
2) build kickpanels and install your good speakers there
you will get better imaging and soundstage
3) forget rear fill speakers, unless you really want them.
4) if you can afford it, get waveguides. US Dynamics or
Image Dynamics are good to get.
5) if you've done competition installs before, you know where I'm
coming from!
Old 07-27-2001, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Take your 4-channel amp and run channels 1 & 2 to you pioneer mids and channels 3 & 4 to your tweets with appropriate xovers. Either leave rears powered from HU or disconnect completely. Then purchase a good SQ amp and sub for your trunk after removing existing OEM sub. You can either build a box or spend a few $ and get an Elements enclosure with a Lunar 10"(for example) for your trunk. Light weight fiberglass and a sealed enclosure to provide nice tight SQ bass and with a bit of SPL.