Need Advice on Cheap Polk Dx6 Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 05:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Advice on Cheap Polk Dx6 Install

I am looking for a frugal system upgrade. I have already purchased two pairs of used Polk DX6 coaxials for my TL for low bucks.

I am looking for advice on which option would provide the best bang for the buck. The options I'm considering are:

1) Simply replace the 4 door speakers with the DX6 speakers, possibly with the high freq rolloff mod. (about $100).

2) Replace speakers and add a 4 channel amp. Keep the crappy Bose subpar-woofer on its baby amp. (about $400)

3) Replace speakers and add a 5 channel amp. Still keep the bose sub with a mind to replace it in the future with something like a 8-inch Kicker RMB8. (about $400-500)

I was looking at the Alpine F320 5 channel amp for around $200 as a inexpensive amp.

Thoughts/advice. I do not want to spend more than I need to. I figure the options above run from $100 to $500 dollars given I already have the Poks.

Mike
Old 02-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. Coming from someone who took everything out and upgraded, I would suggest getting a good 5 channel amp and replacing everything. This would give you the best overall sound. If you just want a little improvement, then you could get away with option 1. If you are considering option 2, spend a little more and go with option 3. That 5 channel amp will allow you to grow in the future. It also takes up less room than a multiamp setup. Those Alpine's are suppose to be pretty good.

This is just my .02
Old 02-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't thinkoption #1 would cost $100...those resistors/caps will prob cost you $10 at most.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:25 AM
Pro

You can install the DX6s without any cost in just a few hours if you don't perform the rolloff mods. This would give you an idea of what kind of upgrade a simple speaker replacement can provide. BUT be prepared for a BRIGHT sounding system. This would be true for any simple speaker changeout.

Decide from there whether you want to add the rolloff mods to the speakers and quit there, or add an extra amp. If you add an extra amp, I agree that I'd go ahead and install a five channel amp or a good four channel amp with a subamp planned for the future. But if you end up going that far, you'll probably end up with the complete fever and then want even better component speakers.

It's tough to ever be completely satisfied. You can try things in steps if money is an issue. In that case... add the rolloff mods for a few bucks and see if you can live with the results. It's enough of an improvement to put a smile on your face for a while. Then you can add a four or five channel amp along with the subwoofer/amp upgrade later if money comes along, or if you simply feel the need for MORE SOUND. The DX6 mods are really very easy to install and even easier to uninstall in case you bypass the stock EQ and add amps later. It sounds like money is your main concern right now, as opposed to time. So take the time to install the rolloff mods and utilize the DX6s to their fullest with the stock electronics. Then re-evaluate your situation later...

This won't cost you any money (other than a few bucks for common resistors and caps) and would probably tell you a lot more than answers from this board. Only you can know for sure what you consider adequate for yourself. Since you already have the DX6s... you can't lose by installing them!

Good luck!
Southbound
Old 02-20-2003, 02:45 AM
Pro

As an added addendum... To bypass the Eq and add an aftermarket amp involves a significant amount of more work. A lot more dismantling of the car and wiring as well as finding a place to mount the amp. If you only add a relatively cheap aftermarket amp... then you may not actually gain that much more sound quality or sound level output... and you could end up picking up more engine whine and noise, etc. than the improvement is worth.

Considering the hassle factor, I'd seriously consider buying a GOOD grade amp if you are going to go to all the effort of installing it into this screwy Blose system.

The stock HU puts out 15-20 watts TRUE RMS into 4ohms. Therefore, a 50watt TRUE RMS amp into 4ohms would only give you a little over 4db more level. This would be noticeable, but not massively. A 75watt TRUE RMS amp into 4ohms would provide around 6db improvement. Unless you can achieve at least 6db more SPL, don't expect a major change in overall volume. What you would most likely notice is the improvement made by bypassing the bogus BOSE EQ! You can only successfully bypass it by adding an aftermarket amp to make up for the lost gain incurred during the bypass process. The DX6 rolloff mods do a decent job of defeating the EQ boost, but obviously not as nicely as a complete bypass and an extra amp. BUT, I'd think twice and save up some money before I bothered to go to the extra effort of adding a cheap amp. A 25watt amp won't gain you anything except for the EQ bypass and perhaps a slightly cleaner signal, at the expense of potential engine noise, etc.

My advice is to simply stick with the DX6 speakers with the rolloff mods, or GO FOR A GOOD AMP IF YOU BOTHER TO GO FOR IT...

Good luck, again!
Southbound
Old 02-20-2003, 06:04 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the inputs. I think I will just do the speaker mods for now and see how it sounds.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro

That makes sense since you already have them. If you find later that you still want a better system... you can evaluate amps then and perhaps re-evaluate your budget.

Good luck! The modest upgrade will be worth the small effort. I couldn't begin to live with the stock system... but I've been living with the DX6 replacement speakers and my rolloff/terminator mods for about a year now. I still wish I had a better sytem... but I can at least play what I have now.

Southbound