Nasty Alternator Whine when using AUX input on 06'

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nasty Alternator Whine when using AUX input on 06'

Anyone know a fix or a service advisory for the alternator whine / RF interference when using the Aux input in the 06' armrest?

I hooked my Sirius tuner in directly rather than using the FM Modulator for better sound but I get a horrible whine upto 4000 RPM when it mysteriously disappears, or just goes to such a high frequency as to be inaudible to humans.
Unfortunately most of my driving is done in the 1500 - 3000 RPM range and it is really annoying to listen to!

Is this just something I should take the car back to the dealer for?

Help!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Try using the Ground Loop Adapter from Radio Shack inbetween your external box and the AUX port. (See other recent threads on this.) In the past (on another car), I only had this kind of problem when I tried to power my external device with the car's 12v -- running on batteries, I never had any alternator whine.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:25 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by vidgamer
Try using the Ground Loop Adapter from Radio Shack inbetween your external box and the AUX port. (See other recent threads on this.) In the past (on another car), I only had this kind of problem when I tried to power my external device with the car's 12v -- running on batteries, I never had any alternator whine.

a GLI should solve your problems.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks guy's, I 'll try the ground loop adapter until I can get the car into the dealership.
I am using the 12vdc power outlet below the Aux Input in the center armrest of the 06'.
You would think that with all of the tech and effort ACURA put into this car they would have tought of this and eliminated it. Seems like a dumb oversight.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

No oversight.... you will get a ground loop problem in the audio with the cheap power adaptors (like a 12v to 5v converter) that usually are used in cars. My guess is that it would be more expensive (and larger!) to build a better power supply that doesn't do this, so....

Anyway, the GLI sounds fine. I'm sure I'll end up using one by the time I'm finished hacking my AUX connection into my '05....
Old 01-21-2006, 03:15 AM
You can turbo anything

I have my sirius hard wired in the same exact way...the reason you get a whine is because the RCA or stereo wire is near power wires...it either has to be really insulated, or moved...was never sure what those adapters really do, but i have fixed the problem by adding a ground to amps and whatnot in the past.

Although i just turn up the music and ignore it...it was too hard to hide 6 feet of wire in a foot of space

Last edited by speedr73; 01-21-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Advanced

I sell commercial audio systems for living and I know all about the problems caused by running the Audio or speaker lines too close to power lines when we do installations. But the power is right next the Aux input, And the audio and the power wire both run into the center console through that little hole. how can you avoid it?

That ground loop thing wont help because then I have to get adapters and convert it from 3.5mm to RCA and back again on the other side. unless I can find one that is for 3.5mm. The radio Shack one is dual RCA in and out.

I'm going to go to professional Car stereo place and see if they can do anything for me.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:31 AM
You can turbo anything

Thats what I am saying, it can't be avoided...try insulating the wire yourself...thats why the expensive rca's are so expensive right? Crazy ass insulation and better terminals. But you may have to go better than that. Wrap it with foam or some shit from home depot.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:25 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There are two sources of RPM-related noise (well, three):

1) Noise inducted onto a signal wire from a power wire, or from some other emitter of EMI (like the airbag ECU on the hump forward of the OEM amp and below the radio). This usually requires a few inches of parallel wire at least. SImply passing will not cause the problem. If you are really convinced that IS your problem, replace the audio wires with tightly twisted pairs and they can't induct audible freqs.

2) Ground loops. THIS IS THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM. This often happens when the cig lighter is connected and goes away when it's disconnected, because there's a ground in the cig lighter charger and a different ground in the audio plug.

3)Insufficent filtering on the power input. Sometimes the problem with ipod charges and the like. Use a 10A inline power filter.

3) insufficient ffiltering on the power input
Old 01-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dashersonic
That ground loop thing wont help because then I have to get adapters and convert it from 3.5mm to RCA and back again on the other side. unless I can find one that is for 3.5mm. The radio Shack one is dual RCA in and out.
I don't see what the problem is. If you need to use adapters, use adapters. You can get them from RS too, while you're getting the GLI.

(For some reason, I want to say that the GLI I bought years ago even came with them?!)
Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone.

I went to a local car stereo place and the guy come out and sat in the car looked at the setup and told me to use the FM modulator instead. He said they never use the AUX input in cars that they install Satellite in if they have one beceause of this problem. He stayed there and helped me find some clear frequencies in our area that had the best reception and least static and interference and set the FM modulator. He also suggested turning the Audio output volume almost all the way up, this improved the quality of the sound dramatically. And he didn't charge me anythng, so he will definitely get my future business.
The model Sirus tuner I have is the S50, I dont know if all Sirius radios have this ability.

Anyway, bottom line is it works great now and sounds great. With out the direct AUX connection there is no ground loop and no NOISE.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:49 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Originally Posted by Dashersonic
Anyway, bottom line is it works great now and sounds great. With out the direct AUX connection there is no ground loop and no NOISE.
True, but you also get reduced audio quality and dynamic range via FM modulation vs direct AUX-IN. If you're not an audiophile, it may not make much difference to you though.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't use the FM modulator for my XM radio because there was too much static and interference from nearby radio stations.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I went to RS this weekend, and sure enough, less than $17 for the GLI, and they come with an adapter for the 3.5mm jack!

You might want to try the GLI anyway, and compare the two, and see which sounds better.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Any shop that recommends the use of FM mods is a bunch of saps and no one should EVER go back there.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by elduderino
Any shop that recommends the use of FM mods is a bunch of saps and no one should EVER go back there.
i dont understand how to fix this ground loop problem either, but I would definitly expect a professional to. I could figure out work arounds on my own :-/
Old 05-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Instructor

have to agree with eldude here,

what kind of shop would actually recommend an FM modulator OVER a direct aux in?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Instructor

yea exactly, the direct in has 100x better SQ, all you need is a GLI if you are using powered devices, check out crutchfield, they actually make a 3.5mm GLI (no RCA's or adapters needed)
Old 05-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Instructor

here, i made it easy for everyone

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HDzKsNE...op&i=127SNI135
Old 05-02-2006, 10:33 AM
my acura sanctuary

thanks glott. but isn't there a way of not having this noise filter box in the bin? Along with the ipod, power converter, cable it will get very messy in there! Eldude can this be wired out of sight between the stock AUX line in and HU? or wouldn't that work?