TSX: Mystery: 2011 Wagon Eats Batteries its not the HFL

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 07:15 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery: 2011 Wagon Eats Batteries its not the HFL

My 2011 Acura TSX Wagon with Technolog Package/Navigation has been through 4 batteries in 6 years.
I bought the car used in 2016 with 60,000 miles on it. From 2016-2020, I drove it daily, at least 15 miles round trip commuting, usually more if I had stuff to do. From 2020 - present, I drive it about the same but only 2 or 3 days a week. And of course the occasional road trip. It's currently at 112,000 miles.

Battery Failures:
1. First Battery - goes dead in 2018, it's an AutoZone battery, AZ tech said we got 2.5 years out of a 5 year battery. Bought AutoZone's "best" 5-year battery.

2. Second Battery - goes dead circa late 2019, go back to AutoZone, tech said it would be really strange to have two bad batteries in a row and to get charging system and alternator checked. Bought AutoZone's "best" 5-year battery...again. Took it to dealer a few months later who checked charging system, but not parasitic draw, and said everything is good. I disconnected Bluetooth/HFL just in case, since I don't use it.

3. Third Battery - dies in Feb 2022, I go to Acura dealer to get new battery, dealer does not believe me when I say I think parasitic draw, I can tell he thinks just a random bad battery. Tells me they'll check parasitic draw if it happens again.

4. Fourth Battery - died yesterday, less than a year from install. WTF. Had a trickle charger hooked up all night so I could get it to dealer (40 miles away). Dealer did a parasitic draw test and said nothing was wrong, and he had nothing else to try.

Summary of known electrical issues:
  • Four batteries since 2016
  • Disconnected HFL Bluetooth in 2019
  • Steering wheel volume/channel controls sometimes swap (channel changes volume and vice versa), happens at least weekly, more in the summertime, but intermittently (dealer could not duplicate)
  • Seat heating switch did not work one single time about 2 months ago, has worked since then (dealer could not duplicate)
  • Light module has not worked for about a couple years, dealer is replacing this week (I vaguely recall it being used once or twice since I've had it, but I don't use it often)
  • Front Passenger window motor does not work on first attempt, for the last year or so (but I rarely use passenger door window and dealer could not duplicate)
  • Whine with RPMs, dealer says it's the idler pulley and is replacing
  • The alternator hasn't been replaced, but dealer said charging system was fine

I've used the dealer 20 years, and their best guy retired, but I am not worried about getting taken advantage of or anything. And I get it. They get paid by the job and not to troubleshoot, but I would like to keep this car forever.....I called the Honda dealer and a couple of private shops, but none do electrical troubleshooting either.

Google says the issue is HFL, but that has been disconnected for the last 2 dead batteries.

Other internet searches have been clock spring replacement (steering wheel controls) or AC fuse replacement (parasitic draw). Reddit recommended a charging test while driving, thinks it could be voltage regulator putting out too much voltage.

I want a list of things to just tell the dealer to replace while it's up there because at this point, they say it's fine when I know it's not but I don't have the time or tools to troubleshoot myself and certainly no experience replacing some of these parts.