my newest project -- need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my newest project -- need some opinions...

First, I just want to quickly say how much I learn from everyone on this site every day. I just went to my high school reunion and ran into a former classmate and her husband. Her husband works for Honda and she drives a TSX. They saw me pull up in a TSX, so there was already an instant bond. We talked Acura/Honda throughout dinner, and thanks to so much of the cool stuff I've learned on this site in the past year or so, I think we all got a lot out of it and had some great fun.

But anyway...here's my project...

THE GOAL:
I have an '04 TSX with navi, and I'm trying to get XM in my car. I'd like to keep as much of the factory setup as possible...including being able to use the steering wheel controls for changing XM channels. Also note that I'm still a novice with car audio, so I'm not going to try to tackle anything too ambitious. If it gets too involved, I'd pay a pro to do it.

WHAT I'VE CHECKED INTO SO FAR:

OPTION #1: I started by trying to find a way to take the XM equipment from an 05-06 and hook it into my system. There are lots of 05-06 owners who don't use their XM (including my classmate at the reunion...which made me so jealous of her 06), so I figured it'd be easy to buy the equipment from someone for cheap and get it installed. This would (in theory) make XM seamlessly integrated like it is in an 05-06. But it doesn't seem to be an option. Everyone I've talked with, including several Acura dealers, say that it's impossible to bring XM into the factory setup in an 04. Scratch #1 off my list.

OPTION #2: Next, I started exploring something one of the guys at the dealership's parts department told me about...the dealer add-on that goes in the "not an ashtray" for adding XM to an 04 TSX: (link)
But first of all, this thing is priced outrageously -- cheapest I've seen it is more than $500 for the three required parts...and that doesn't even include installation. Secondly, I've learned from a couple posts on this board that it's FM-modulated, so the quality might not be great anyway. Doesn't seem to be worthwhile.

OPTION #3: Then I started looking at this XMDirect tuner box (http://www.xmradio.com/xm-direct/index.xmc). But I talked to a guy at Crutchfield who said there's no way to get it to work with our factory system. (Is this true? I haven't explored much beyond that one phone call.)

OPTION #4: So I basically gave up my hopes for a well-integrated solution. I started looking at doing my own install of a Roady XT. I'd put it into the CD cubby below the factory stereo, since I don't really use the cubby much anyway. I've seen some sweet looking installs of XM Commanders in the sunglasses holder, but since I don't use my CD cubby much, there's no sense doing all the extra wiring to get into the headliner.

I planned to start by trying the built-in FM modulator within the Roady XT and see how good it sounded, because a lot of people have said it's one of the best wireless FM modulators they've heard. If I wasn't happy with the quality, I could always get an SNHOND3 and make it sound better by wiring it directly. No matter what, it'd be an easy and cheap solution that I could install myself ($50 for the Roady XT, and if the FM mod didn't sound good, $100 more for the SNHOND3). I wouldn't have steering wheel controls with the XM, which would be a major loss for me.

BTW, I checked out the portable XM units like the MyFi, but since all of my XM listening would be in the car, a Roady seems more cost-effective.

OPTION #5: But then last night, I started thinking about another way to do it. I've seen a number of people in this forum who have gotten an aftermarket head unit and installed it as an AUX. I'm perfectly happy with my OE head unit, aside from the lack of XM. But since it's possible to use steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit with an adapter elduderino sells (right?), I'm thinking this might be a viable option. Of course it'd cost more than just popping in a Roady, but if I can get the steering wheel controls to work with XM and the AM/FM/CD, it might be worth it.

Has anyone ever done this...keeping the factory head unit and still using it for AM/FM/CD, but then installing an aftermarket unit into the dash that's XM-capable and using it on an AUX...and getting the aftermarket steering wheel control adapter to allow me to change XM stations on the steering wheel too? (The whole setup seems a bit awkward...maybe because I don't know what I'm doing!!! )

SO MY QUESTION...
Is there anything I'm completely missing here? I've been exploring every option I can think of, and so far there don't seem to be too many choices. I could go with option #2 above...spending more than $500 + installation for the dealer add-in (and getting an FM-modulated solution), or maybe option #5 which I haven't really explored much yet...will it even work? Is it cost-effective? Otherwise I'm back to option #4, buying a Roady and giving up steering wheel controls.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced

well, i have an 04 TSX with navi as well and i am using an XM Commander that i installed in my sunglass holder. I know its not what you wanted, but its the closest to getting it look factory. plus you can still close and open it and the wires were really easy to hide.

i am not that good with installations but i put the unit in myself and it was really really easy. All the actual wiring i went to Circuit City and paid like 80 bucks. right now it is FM modulated. Don't really have any plans on installing an auxillary for it since i have my ipod hooked up to my Aux. The sound on the commander is suprisingly good FM Modulated. I FM Modulated my ipod and it didn't sound as good as the commander.

if you have any questions drop me a pm

Last edited by glassjaw; 11-27-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Sounds like a nice setup. For some reason I'm really attached to my sunglasses holder though. I know it sounds bizarre, especially in a car with so many toys. I just like having them up there. (Plus the steering wheel controls probably wouldn't be possible with that install, I'm guessing)