Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 04:06 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my audio setup - install advice needed

Hi All,

I've purchased the following components for the audio setup of my TSX:

Front Comps: Diamond Hex S600A
Rear Door: CDT Audio CL6-X (run off the Hex crossover rear fill)
Amp: Xtant A4004 (bridged 200x2)
Rear Deck: none - removed

Subs: Xtant X1244 x 2
Amp: Xtant X1001

EQ (In-Dash): Audiobahn AEQ7 (will most likely be replaced by and Audiocontrol Four.1 eventually)

Battery: Optima Yellow Top 850CCA

I'm also planning on purchasing a 200Amp High Output Alternator as well, since I'm pretty sure the stock alt won't handle ~1400+ watts.

I think this setup should sound pretty good. My problem is that I haven't done an audio install before What I was planning on doing was taking the output of the head unit, and splicing RCAs onto it and running it into the EQ/Line Driver. I've purchased the mounting kit for the OEM MP3 Player and was going to mount the EQ in that spot. From the EQ, I am going to run Interconnects to the component amp. Then, I was going to run speaker wire from the amp, back to the center console where they would connect to crossovers for the components.
Here is what I need help with - can I cut the speaker wire that is coming out of the stock amp to the door speakers/tweeters and then connect that to my crossovers? I was thinking that would be easiest as then I would not have to take the dash apart to run new speaker wire to the tweeters? I have the Honda/Acura speaker harnesses for the door speakers, but I'm not sure how to hook up new tweeters. Has anyone hooked up new tweeters? How did you do it? Is the gauge of the stock wire large enough that I wouldn't need to run new wire? How hard is it to run new speaker wire to the doors/tweeters?

Sorry for so many questions, I have the install planned out pretty well, and I've ordered a service manual, so I don't think it could be too hard, I just am caught up on those issues. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

why did you buy the optima? a battery does absolutly nothing for the electrical system. the alternator was a good idea though.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

I already had it in my old car, so I just moved it to my TSX. Same with my subs/amps.
My old car had a 135amp alt, and there was slight dimming at high volume. I got it so I didn't want to have to worry about my system draining my battery and my car not starting.