My amp keeps shutting off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My amp keeps shutting off?

I have had a 12W3v2 and JL 250.1 installed for the past couple months with no problems, but yesterday the amp started shutting off intermittently for no apparent reason. It'll come on for a while and then turn off for a while, sometimes lasting a couple minutes and sometimes just seconds with no pattern to it. What do you guys think can be causing this? It's not going into protection mode because the red LED doesn't light up, the only thing that happens is that the green power LED comes off and on with the amp. I checked the connections and none of them seemed to be loose.

I really don't know much about this type of stuff so any help is greatly appreciated. I will most likely be going back to the installer tomorrow morning but don't want to go empty handed, I'd like to have some ideas. I'm thinking it could be a bad ground, but wouldn't this have shown up sooner instead after all this time?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
WESTK

check your ground wire connection at the amp and on the chassis, or whatever they grounded to.
That is probably your problem.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

THIS SOMETIMES HAPPENS TO ME. i HAVE AN AFTERMARKET SYSTEM INSTALLED PERFECTLY CORRECT, 4 GAUGE ALL THE WAY. OCCASIONALLY IF I CRANK THE VOLUME TO HARD, EVEN THOUGH THE MIDS AND LOWS CAN SUPPORT IT, MY SUB AMP WILL SHUT OFF, THEN TURN BACK ON, ONLY WHEN THE BASS TENDS TO HIT THE HARDEST. THIS IS BECAUSE, I HAVE BEEN TOLD, I AM ASKING FOR TOO MUCH POWER FROM MY BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR. THE SUGGESTION WAS GIVEN TO START WITH EITHER ADDING A CAP TO THE SUB SETUP, GETTING A STRONGER ALTERNATOR, OR GETTING A SECOND BATTERY (I.E. OPTIMA) FOR THE STEREO ALONE. HOPE THIS HELPS???
Old 07-23-2004, 05:51 PM
-S namyaC-

^^no, it's your amp going into protection b/c either the input is too high or the impedence of the subs is too low.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
99% of the time its your ground, make sure it is locked down and secure, or reground it somewhere else.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Flap.

Originally Posted by RBARNES24
THIS SOMETIMES HAPPENS TO ME. i HAVE AN AFTERMARKET SYSTEM INSTALLED PERFECTLY CORRECT, 4 GAUGE ALL THE WAY. OCCASIONALLY IF I CRANK THE VOLUME TO HARD, EVEN THOUGH THE MIDS AND LOWS CAN SUPPORT IT, MY SUB AMP WILL SHUT OFF, THEN TURN BACK ON, ONLY WHEN THE BASS TENDS TO HIT THE HARDEST. THIS IS BECAUSE, I HAVE BEEN TOLD, I AM ASKING FOR TOO MUCH POWER FROM MY BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR. THE SUGGESTION WAS GIVEN TO START WITH EITHER ADDING A CAP TO THE SUB SETUP, GETTING A STRONGER ALTERNATOR, OR GETTING A SECOND BATTERY (I.E. OPTIMA) FOR THE STEREO ALONE. HOPE THIS HELPS???

take the dildo off your caps lock button
Old 07-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Rod
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, but it was a very simple fix, it was just the fuse. I feel stupid now. The thing is it didn't look blown when I checked it through the casing, but when I took it out of the casing one of end caps on the fuse was corroded so a new fuse fixed the problem.