MP3 installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking MP3 installation

Here's the promised info on my NEO MP3 player installation.

The NEO MP3 player is a hard disk-based player which is only limited by the size of the hard disk you use. I currently use a Western Digital 60gb hard disk which holds about 8,000 songs encoded at a 256k bit-rate.

I originally had the installation using a wired FM modulator. This sucks BIG TIME! To get any auxillary inputs into the TL's stock radio, you will have to invest in a CD changer. I bought a Clarion CD-C635 changer and a Peripheral HONCLRX CD adapter. This adapter also has an AUX input so it was perfect for my MP3 installation. I also had to use the Scosche 10-amp Noise filter and the Scosche ground loop isolator to reduce engine noise.

I hooked up the Clarion CD changer using Tim's instructions. I installed the NEO35 player in the pre-drilled holes on the top of the trunk. (I assume that these holes are either for the NAVI or the dealer installed CD changer.) I removed the "Not an ashtray" coin holder and the cigarette lighter and made a mount to attach the NEO35 wired remote. I installed a lighted power switch for the NEO35 in the recessed area between the seat heaters switches. I also installed an audio switch next to the dashboard light adjustment knob to switch between the CD player and the MP3 player.

I really missed not having my MP3 player when I purchased my TL. Just be aware that this solution is NOT cheap! The CD changer and adapter will run about $300 and there is alot of small parts to buy and alot of manual labor to get it "just right".

Here's some pics... enjoy!

Wired Remote

Neo35 Player

Audio Switch

Just Me
Old 07-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Racer

Looks awesome.. i attemped something similar with a completly home made MP3 player out of spare computer parts i had laying around. I took it out b/c it was to much to deal with. One question how do you update the player.. LAN or do you need to take out the HD? Anyways it look great, good work!
Old 07-01-2001, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Talking

Thanks LarryB,

The player is in the form of an industry standard hard drive removable bracket. I have similar ones installed in my home system. I just "plug it in", boot the system and do any file transfers. I have a hard drive with all duplicated mp3 files in my system as well. File transfer at internal hard drive speeds is fast, beats going over a lan or usb.

Just Me
Old 07-02-2001, 03:23 PM
Drifting

looks very nice! very impressed. I am thinking of adding one to my existing pioneer setup since it has aux in. How much for the unit if you dont mind me asking.
Old 07-02-2001, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Stylin Silver Sled
looks very nice! very impressed. I am thinking of adding one to my existing pioneer setup since it has aux in. How much for the unit if you dont mind me asking.
Thanks SSS!

I bought mines last August for $299 with no hard disk and the remote is another $65. If you're interested you should check out funmp3players.com (I don't want to post the actual link as I'm not sure if it violates the no-link rules since it is a retail site...). They sell it with a 40gb hard disk and the wired remote included. It's a second generation model so hopefully they learned and fixed the problems that us first generation adapters had to go through. They also have a support forum site with good info on the "gotchas" the unit has.

Some of the "gotchas" include:
-Perfers Maxtor & IBM hard drives, hates Western Digitals (although mine works...)

-Unit needs at least 2 amps consistently

-Random support sucks

-Engine/alternator whine (need good grounding or install ground loop isolator)

-Possible hard disk damage if you drive over a BIG pot-hole! (I've had no damage in my daily driving)

It is a bear to setup/install if you don't have computer and car stereo installing experience.

Benefits include virtually unlimited music storage!

-Easy file navigation. You setup folders on the hard disk and can be renamed on the fly on your PC.

-Scrolling text for MP3 ID fields.

-No delay between songs (Great for listening to songs that fade into the next, like live stuff)

-Updatable firmware (New features & fixes are distributed via firmware)

I figure that I won't hear the same song twice for at least the next 10 months to a year!

Just Me
Old 07-02-2001, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Just Me

-No delay between songs (Great for listening to songs that fade into the next, like live stuff)
I wish I had that 'no delay' on my kenwood unit... oh well.