Mounting a 300/4 in TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting a 300/4 in TSX

I got my 300/4 installed by StreetEffectz last weekend...

sounds 10x better than the Soundstream Reference amp it replaced!

only problem, they mounted it to the back of the seat and the amp's mounting holes dont line up with the metal in the seat.

so apparantly they screwed it into carpet and obviously on the way home the amp fell off.

I was able to get it to stay by making it all crooked to line up the mounting holes with the metal in the seat, but it looks pretty dumb.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,534 Posts
go back in he seems like a good guy I am sure he would fix it.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it back, they will fix it! I'm sure he will see this and say the same!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Get outta here? Oh boy, one of my guys is gonna GET SHOT!! LOL - sorry for the problem, that's definitely uncalled for. I will personally fix it for you if you wanna ride back again, OR, you can remove the amp, unfold the carpeting off the seat, and put a piece of 1/4" or 1/8" hardboard underneathe, secure that to the seat, fold the carpeting back over, and re-secure the amp to that.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

Installer was fired
Old 11-29-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
Installer was fired
think that was a little harsh.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
think that was a little harsh.
Nope - look at it from my point of view - we pride ourselves in our craftsmanship and service - why would I want someone who is going to make a totally uncalled for mistake like that jeopardize our reputation? I can't afford to have incompetent people working for me.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Advanced

ack....that wasnt my goal haha

just trying to figure out how to mount it properly

guess it could happen to anyone, not a huge deal.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Playa178
ack....that wasnt my goal haha

just trying to figure out how to mount it properly

guess it could happen to anyone, not a huge deal.
Oh no no, he had it coming anyway - and maybe not a big deal to you, but to me, that's my business and work like that should NEVER, EVER leave my shop
Old 11-30-2005, 05:08 AM
Racer

I have a 300/4 as well that I mounted to the back of my back seat, but i'm an idiot and just drilled it ontop of the carpet, through the carpet to the metal and of course it fell off a few months later.

Do I need to cut the fabric to get a board in there, and do i just screw the board into the metal seat back?

I know that's the best way to do it, but just out of curiosity, how does that give it more support? amp screwed into wood then metal, rather than amp to metal?

-vasu
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vasu
I have a 300/4 as well that I mounted to the back of my back seat, but i'm an idiot and just drilled it ontop of the carpet, through the carpet to the metal and of course it fell off a few months later.

Do I need to cut the fabric to get a board in there, and do i just screw the board into the metal seat back?

I know that's the best way to do it, but just out of curiosity, how does that give it more support? amp screwed into wood then metal, rather than amp to metal?

-vasu
If the holes on the amp don't like up with the metal in the seat a solid piece of wood WILL since you can put the screws through the wood into the seat anywhere you want, know what I mean? Then the amp can screw into the secure wood. Just cut the wood slightly larger or enough to be able to screw into the metal of the seat
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced

hmm, if im gonna go through all that trouble I may as well move the thing under the seat or somewhere else hidden
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I put one under the passenger seat of our 04. Took the removal of some padding and the foot warmer vent, and 3mm worth or rear shim washers.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Racer

Installer was fired
haha 1:32 he says he's gonna have to look into who installed it, and 1:37 he said the "firing" had be done...haha

I know it's important to keep your "official vendor status" alive and well so you don't become the laughing stock of the A/V forum like El Duderino after CCS him, but come on let's cut the crap
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by vpat25
haha 1:32 he says he's gonna have to look into who installed it, and 1:37 he said the "firing" had be done...haha

I know it's important to keep your "official vendor status" alive and well so you don't become the laughing stock of the A/V forum like El Duderino after CCS him, but come on let's cut the crap
Old 11-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Racer

Hey StreetEffectz, thanks for the tip .. um, I'm still not visualizing it properly.

What do you mean by lining up the holes in the metal? I guess my question is, how would drilling a piece of wood into the metal seat back line it up more than going through the 4 mounting holes on the amp?

Also, are you saying to get a piece of board as large/larger than the amp, or as big as the entire metal seat back?

Are there actual pre-drilled holes in the seat back I'm just not seeing or something?

-vasu
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It means StreetEffectz made the HIS DECISION to fire him, he always produces quality work, cant say that for a new employee that he just hired. Enough Said
Old 11-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xenonhid
It means StreetEffectz made the HIS DECISION to fire him, he always produces quality work, cant say that for a new employee that he just hired. Enough Said
Don't get your panties in a bunch, I know StreetEffectz has done a lot of very worthwhile stuff and contributed GREATLY to this forum. From his Avic N1 Navi thing to other stuff...but I'm just saying--last time we put an A/V guy ( El Duderino) on a pedestal he got and after starting DIYs and FAQs left and right was never to be seen again (although he posted something today).

So, my point is, don't put anybody on a pedestal as being perfectly honest, genuine, and intelligent--because then they'll become egotistical assholes (like El Duderino) and ruin the integrity of the forum.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM

anyone want to explain this thread where el duderino got owned cause i missed it and would like to know what happened.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 PM

Oh no no, he had it coming anyway - and maybe not a big deal to you, but to me, that's my business and work like that should NEVER, EVER leave my shop
was he new or something or was he making a lot of mistakes.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Hey StreetEffectz, thanks for the tip .. um, I'm still not visualizing it properly.

What do you mean by lining up the holes in the metal? I guess my question is, how would drilling a piece of wood into the metal seat back line it up more than going through the 4 mounting holes on the amp?

Also, are you saying to get a piece of board as large/larger than the amp, or as big as the entire metal seat back?

Are there actual pre-drilled holes in the seat back I'm just not seeing or something?

-vasu
i am pretty sure what he is saying is that with the piece of wood, it doesn't matte where u place the wood as long as it is as big as the metal seat back...

wat u do is drill the wood into the metal seat back... cover it with the carpet... and now ur amp can drill into anywhere on the wood... u just made your drilling surface so much larger with the wood...

am i picturing it correctly ron?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Racer

anyone want to explain this thread where el duderino got owned cause i missed it and would like to know what happened.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=4&pp=25

page 4 is where the drama begins.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

Can you tell me where I said "I have to look into WHO installed it"? I know WHO installed it, I just said one of my guys was gonna get shot, correct????? And I got right on the phone with him and told him I didn't need him anymore - am I missing something here?????????????????

Last edited by StreetEffectz; 11-30-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:40 PM

Can you tell me where I said "I have to look into WHO installed it"? I know WHO installed it, I just said one of my guys was gonna get shot, correct????? And I got right on the phone with him and told him I didn't need him anymore - am I missing something here?????????????????
nah i understood you the first time.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Banned

nah i understood you the first time.
Sure, YOU understood it because you read what I wrote - not read what I wrote and then wrote something down you THOUGHT I said trying to call me out
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Racer

^^^Chillax, the only person i've been slandering is El Dude. I even went out of my way to state your credentials. My whole point behind what I said was to keep people from wholehartedly putting their trust in people--THATS IT. So if you wanna start something thats your perogative. I just don't want another "Official vendor" getting pwned and running away. :2 cents: :bitch:
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i am pretty sure what he is saying is that with the piece of wood, it doesn't matte where u place the wood as long as it is as big as the metal seat back...

wat u do is drill the wood into the metal seat back... cover it with the carpet... and now ur amp can drill into anywhere on the wood... u just made your drilling surface so much larger with the wood...

am i picturing it correctly ron?
When I first mounted my amp I just used self-drilling screws and placed my amp on the metal seat back and just drilled down into the metal (making sure that there was metal underneath each amp mounting hole). But then a few months of driving later it fell out (TSX's firm suspension + potholes in new orleans and boston).

I guess my question is, if the screws didn't grip well enough into the metal before, what ensures that the wood stays planted to the metal seatback? Because it seems that the bumps in the road caused the screws to just tear out of the metal, so why wouldn't the wood board tear out of the metal seat back?

-vasu
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first mounted my amp I just used self-drilling screws and placed my amp on the metal seat back and just drilled down into the metal (making sure that there was metal underneath each amp mounting hole). But then a few months of driving later it fell out (TSX's firm suspension + potholes in new orleans and boston).

I guess my question is, if the screws didn't grip well enough into the metal before, what ensures that the wood stays planted to the metal seatback? Because it seems that the bumps in the road caused the screws to just tear out of the metal, so why wouldn't the wood board tear out of the metal seat back?

-vasu
Pilot holes almost as big as the screws used and/or screws not long enough to go through amp, carpet, and to really grip the metal and/or screws too thin? If you have four #10 sheet metal screws at least a 1/4" through the metal, they shouldn't pull out. The seat back isn't completely flat, right? I think the board under the carpet just gives you flexibility in mounting location.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Spoon
Pilot holes almost as big as the screws used and/or screws not long enough to go through amp, carpet, and to really grip the metal and/or screws too thin? If you have four #10 sheet metal screws at least a 1/4" through the metal, they shouldn't pull out. The seat back isn't completely flat, right? I think the board under the carpet just gives you flexibility in mounting location.
So i guess the argument for the wood board is that I could use larger, thicker, longer screws to attach the wood to the metal seat back since they don't have to go through the narrower mounting holes in the amp?

I think i might try the long screw approach first .. the ones i was using before were a bit on the shorter side since i was worried about them poking through the other end of the seat cushion .. i'll take some measurements and get some longer ones and if those don't hold, then i'll grab some boards?

thanks

-vasu
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

^^^Chillax, the only person i've been slandering is El Dude. I even went out of my way to state your credentials. My whole point behind what I said was to keep people from wholehartedly putting their trust in people--THATS IT. So if you wanna start something thats your perogative. I just don't want another "Official vendor" getting pwned and running away. :2 cents: :bitch:

Hey, I'm relaxed - look at your post, you said MY post was "BS" did you not? and you misquoted me, did you not? That's all - I simply stated, and I quote, "one of my guys was gonna get shot" - I know who did the work, I wasn't happy, so I called him right up and told him I didn't need him anymore - there was no "BS" involved in that. You even quoted the times I made both posts, how does that relate to putting trust in people?? I got nothing to hide - quality work comes out of my shop and I need to keep it that way and I need the right people working for me to keep it that way and I just thought your post, like you were calling me out cuz I didn't do what I said or I was making it up, was completely uncalled for.

And I'm not going anywhere - I've been on these forums for almost as long as they have been opened
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Banned

You have to use sheet metal screws in that metal - it is very thin - most people keep using wood screws that they would screw a box together with or whatever....NO GOOD.... definitely need the sheet metal screws.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Advanced

maybe mods should lock this post, it's getting a bit off topic.

I dont see how slandering El Dude is necessary, he has posted a lot of informative info for everyone and made some great products that people seem to like.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Playa178
maybe mods should lock this post, it's getting a bit off topic.

I dont see how slandering El Dude is necessary, he has posted a lot of informative info for everyone and made some great products that people seem to like.
I dont think the slandering of El Dude is neccessary either. so he made a mistake lots of people make mistakes. he still does good work and has a lot of useful knowledge.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We should close this up. I don't think anyone should question Streeteffectz or Elduderino. STreeteffectz has posted tons of pics of his work. There is no doubt that he and his shop has skillz. He had to let someone go because he wasn't living up to the high standards that he has for himself and his shop. Although it seemed harsh because it happened so fast, he did the right thing. In the world of buisness your reputation is everything.

As for Eld, I have been on the forum with Eld for a long time. He contributed a ton of information to this forum. A lot of his informative posts came even before he was a board vendor and before the a/v sections got merged. Although he made a mistake, he had good intentions and was only trying to help people out. I heard many stories of him talking on the phone to installers for forum members. He helped me out a lot during my installs and would always go above and beyond the call of duty. With all that being said, I still don't respect the fact that he just disappeared like that. Hopefully he'll come back.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
I put one under the passenger seat of our 04. Took the removal of some padding and the foot warmer vent, and 3mm worth or rear shim washers.
He's taking baby steps back to the forum
Old 12-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ I didn't see his post until you pointed it out
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM
VP Electricity

Hmm. Do YOU have a problem with me?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:55 PM
VP Electricity

BTW, the kind words are appreciated.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:50 PM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

elduderino

i am trying to send you a PM about your avincar speakers, but it's telling me that your mailbox is full. pm me please when you have some space and i will reply. thanks.

(sorry to hijack the thread)
Old 12-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm closing this up, Playa178 I hope thats cool with you.

Streeteffects and ElDude are two of the most knowledgable and highly qualified A/V guys on this forum. They both do excellent work which they stand behind. I'm not saying this because they are vendors, I've talked to ElDude many times, and I've seen dozens of Streeteffects installs. The slander is uncalled for.

Quick Reply: Mounting a 300/4 in TSX