messed something up

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
messed something up

well today i was driving and bumpin my system and suddenly the subs just stop and no bass comes out. However, the remote bass control that is connected from the amp to the driver's area was still on. I checked the fuse in the hood near the battery and it was still ok. I havent checked the two fuses in the amp yet ... do u think those could be the problem? My friend said my subs werent blown because they completely stopped instead of gradually sounding shitty.

help?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Banned

Yeah, has to be something with your amp or wires/fuses. Check all connections, maybe your amp over heated and went into protection mode(if it has this feature)
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

well you're friends logic is a little flawed, subs can blow and just stop suddenly. The way to check if you don't have a multimeter around is turn the system on, and look to see if the amp is turned on (usually there is an indicator light on the amp to say if it is on, and another to say if it is in protection mode). it if is on and not in protection mode, then disconnect the subs and try popping each one out with a 9 or 12 volt battery to see if the motors have seized.

now to decipher what you have tested. if the amp doesn't turn on, then it either isn't getting power, which means you need to check the fuses; or the internal power supply of the amp has fried, which means you need to have the amp repaired. you may want to allso check to make sure it is getting remote power and that the ground is still good.

If it turns on but goes into protection mode, try disconnecting the subs and see if it still goes into protection. If it does go into protection, the amp needs to be repaired, if it does not go into protection once the subs are disconnected then the problem lies with the subs.

if when you try and pop out the subs and they don't move at all when you try to apply the voltage, then your subs are blown. if the do pop out, then chances are they are fine, but you probably want to find someone that has a mutimeter who can check the the ohm load of each voice coil to make sure there isn't anything damaged there.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Banned

Scott

You should smell something if a sub blows or an amp fries, correct?

MistaWongy,

Smell anything?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro

i smell nothing, and its not in protect mode... i dont know why it didnt go into protect mode
Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM

do u have aftermarket hu? check battery connections, check ground.. is is possible your box shifted while driving and somthing got pulled? happend to me plenty of times
Old 11-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Originally Posted by MistaWongy
i smell nothing, and its not in protect mode... i dont know why it didnt go into protect mode
ususally you would be able to smell something if it burnt, but it doesn't have to burn for it to die out. so it could still be a dead amp or sub

Wongy, is the amp powering up at all? If it isn't then I would venture to say it's something like a bad power lead, either constant or switched; or possibly even a bad ground.

if is is powering up but there is still no output you probably need to find an installer or friend who can take a look at it with a meter to try and pinpoint a problem. I know i am constatly doing simple checks like that for people and I never charge, so I would have to imagine you should be able to find an installer somewhere to look at it for free if you don't have any friends that could do it.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro

hey guys thanks for all your help but i think this might be the problem:

2 of my friends that work at a car audio place said that since i have a stock deck, they had to splice the wires and hook the rca's up to that or something. Good thing i have a lifetime warranty from the place where i got it installed from, so i will send it to them and see what they can do.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 PM

yea i bet one of the wires came loose and disconnected. same thing happened to me
Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro

i took it to the shop today and they said that all the wires were right... but the system still doesnt work. Im pretty sure my subs arent blown and im not sure if my amp works but it powers up and everything. My brother has another amp (its shitty) but im gunna connect it and see if it will power the subs.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i took it to the shop today and they said that all the wires were right... but the system still doesnt work. Im pretty sure my subs arent blown and im not sure if my amp works but it powers up and everything. My brother has another amp (its shitty) but im gunna connect it and see if it will power the subs.

mine did the exact thing a few weeks ago...the amp fried. You can smell it if you smell right up on the amp, mine has a built in fan so I could smell it from there. I got it fixed by Kicker easy and now its all good.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro

yep its my amp i dont know why it turns on though if its fried.
NOTE TO ALL:
DO NOT BUY HIFONICS AMPS

my brother has one that just fried as well. I'm planning on getting a replacement and then selling it.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro

one more thing
dont buy from indoaudio.com or indoaudio the seller on ebay
it says that u have a warranty
but its only if u go there and exchange it yourself, no shipping.

yes im pissed
Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
one more thing
dont buy from indoaudio.com or indoaudio the seller on ebay
it says that u have a warranty
but its only if u go there and exchange it yourself, no shipping.

yes im pissed

that guy has some great prices, but dont expect any customer service! I blew on of my Focal tweeters, sure not a problem they say, well I never got a new one. Luckily my friend had a spare component set so I got a tweeter from him.

indoaudio
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro

good thing my parents are rich bastards and they have a high visa card member and were just gunna report it as fraud and get our money back . And no im not spoiled i payed for my whole system
Old 12-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Correct Impedence?

What impedence are your speakers? Are they DVC's? You have to make sure that when you feed those speaker leads into the amp, they match the load that the amp is able to handle. You can't have DVC 4ohm speakers, run them parallel, and hook them up to an amp that is only 4Ohm stable. The end result will be that your new amp will be sharing a room with your other HiFonics amp. If you need help, just give me the specs on your speakers and amp and I will make sure you don't visit Smoke City again. Make sure you let me know whether your amp is a mono block or you had to bridge the channels. Please supply model numbers if you are looking for some assistance. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro

its a mono amp 1 ohm stable
each sub is 2ohm wheni wire them together it should equal out to be 1 ohm
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Banned

If you have two 2 ohm DVC and you have one Mono Block amp that is 1 ohm stable you can not wire them together. Here are the only options for two 2 ohm DVC's:

You should have got 4 ohm DVC's so you can wire them like so:

A single 2 ohm DVC would work with a 1 ohm load like this: