MB Quartz RCE269

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Quartz RCE269

Hello everyone,
I need some quick advise on these speakers. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13546

I need to know if these will work well in the TSX with my stock NAVI head unit. I was just wondering cause these are Components and they are 80W RMS and I really wonder if I will need a amp. I don't want to install an amp so I want to make sure these are perfect without an amp.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 03:38 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, the wattage rating means nothing, and you already have an amp.

I would not add them unless adding an amp. Your OE 6x9's are pretty efficient, and the MBQ's will be much less efficient and not keep up with the rest of the system.

Also, the R 6x9's get only bass from the amp, and you probably want to play these as full-range components.

t's a waste of money to buy expensive, inefficent speaks and connect toem without an amp, and that's from someone who bought those 6x9's and put the woofers in the rear deck of his TSX, plaing 80 and down, running off of half of a JL 300/4 (and sold the tweet and xovers on eBay).

BTW, buy them on eBay for $225 with S and H - there are three places (all in Houston... hmm) that sell them for $195 to $205, with S and H adding up to $225.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spatel600
Hello everyone,
I need some quick advise on these speakers. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13546

I need to know if these will work well in the TSX with my stock NAVI head unit. I was just wondering cause these are Components and they are 80W RMS and I really wonder if I will need a amp. I don't want to install an amp so I want to make sure these are perfect without an amp.

Thanks
Low sensitivity = requires more power to drive as loud. The MBQ's have a sensitivity of 86db. As a comparison, the Fosgate P1692S's have a sensitivity of 90db. Most 6x9's are 2-way rather than component. Of these 2-way speakers, you can find several brands/models that have a sensitivity of 93db.

That being said, the MBQ speakers are fantastic 6x9's. Both elduderino and I (based on his experience) have used them essentially as small subs (using aftermarket amp with crossover), having not installed the tweeters that came with them.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:04 PM
VP Electricity

He said it very well... I guess what I should have said is I really like the woofers in this system, but I really don't think your plan will work out.

The amp is the bottleneck - get those speaks for the woofs, some front satellites, and an amp.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Racer

Thanks for all your help. I will take that advice and since I don't want to use an external amp I will not go with the quartz but rather with Alpine Type R's 6x9's and MB Quartz RCE 216s 6.5 plus installing the tweeter in the front. I was suggested this setup by a local audio shop. What do you guys think?

Also how do I wire in the new 6.5s and the Tweeters with the MB Quartz Crossover? Where do I need to access to wire these correctly?

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to help. Elduderino is an install expert, so I'll let him (or someone else) answer your wiring question - I'm merely a product researching freak that loves electronics.

The Type-R 6x9's are good speakers. However, they have a sensitivity of 88db. The Type-S 6x9 speakers (SPS690A) have 92db sensitivity. After thinking about it more, I think that having 6x9's with less sensitivity in back might be ok because the tweets reflecting off of the glass can really be overpowering - however, lower sensitivity lowers both highs and lows (thoughts on this, elduderino or anyone else? I have no real world experience with this...). The sps690a's are 3-way and may exacerbate this - you might search the forums to see if others have installed the type-s 6x9s. Another way to put it is that the 6x9's may very well destroy any kind of realistic imaging because so much sound will be noticeably coming from behind you rather than in front of you.

If you're looking for added clarity without an added amp, your best bet is to get as nice and efficient (high sensitivity) a set of component speakers up front as possible. You might consider holding off on replacing the 6x9's until after you've tried new front speakers. I have the MBQ RCE 216's up front and I love them, but without the ~60W per channel I'm feeding them from an aftermarket amp, they'd probably be a bit quiet and flat. The Polk db6500's are good component speakers, as an example, with 92db sensitivity. I've read others on this board enjoying Infinity's up front. Even the Alpine Type-S 6.5 components have a sensitivity of 90db - and I know these are good speakers. If you install aftermarket speakers up front, esp. if they have a lower sensitivity, you may have to fade the audio +1 to the front in order to retain proper imaging (of course, this will lower the bass from the 6x9's in the rear - so it depends on what's more important to your ears).

Don't feel like you must spend a lot of money on any set of speakers to get good sound - it's a matter of quality AND matching to the rest of your system. No sense having one amazing component when the rest is average. That being said, you always want to buy a little better than average just in case you upgrade later!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Racer

Cool thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM
VP Electricity

6x9's that are called 3-way are not. They do NOT have a midrange. Usually the three-way in a line has the same driver that's called a mid, acting as the tweeter in the 2-way of the same line.

3-ways are brighter, but have no better midrange (as a rule... there have been a few dome-mid by-nines).

If you are using the OE amp, the 6x9's will only act as woofers no matter what you put back there. No diff between 2 way, 3-way, or woofers. (Please see sticky on TSX OE sound). So if you get the components you'll be getting rid of the tweets anyway.

Also, beware - efficency ratings are often lies, I fear. Wish it wasn't true...

Since MB Q aren't that efficent overall, you don't have much risk in using the 6x9 woofer in the back.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Racer

Cool Elduderino! thanks bro for the info...so what do you think of my current projected setup..(Alpine Type R's on the deck and MB Quart Components 6.5s in the front and switching out the tweeter with the one that comes with the MB Quartz RCE 216s.

Thanks el for all your help you essential to this forum
Old 11-07-2004, 09:32 PM
VP Electricity

You're welcome. Personally, I think two things, after further review:

1) You are installing MBQ seperates up front. These are fairly well matched with the MBQ 269. You might as well use both, because then the 6x9's won't outpace the fronts, and I suspect at some point you'll upgrade the OE amp, so why not have it ready to go?

2) I am concerned about metal tweets being too bright, and MB Q tweets being crossed over too high. You'll do it anyway : ) but I am worried. At least use the lowest OP setting on the xovers, get the ones with the higher-end xover if you can, and consider using clear window tint or clear static vinyl sqaures over the tweeter position.

3) Consider a soft-domwe tweet that plays lower. a/d/s/ 245ix? Should sound lots better up there...
Old 11-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Racer

Yeah i would go with the quartz in the back but $$ is an issue. I really appreciated all the help peeps.