MB Quart vs. Kappa?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 02:09 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Quart vs. Kappa?

I am a newbie to the site and have only had my new TLS for about 3 weeks. However, I already can't stand the factory Bose system...

On the other hand, I don't want to go to extreme measures to upgrade the system. I don't want to gut the entire car at this point in time. I know, I know, I should toss out all of the factory audio and start from scratch with super amps and super speakers and super woofers, etc.

I don't want to go to that extreme until I prove to myself that there is no other option. I don't listen to heavy bass rap or hiphop, so the woofer situation is just fine for me. I realize that that is not the case for some of you.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO is to try and just upgrade the door speakers with new 61/2 inch multi-element versions, so that I don't have to mount anything extra (yet) and then see if that improves the sound enough for me to live with (at least for awhile). I have found that the two best speakers for this (without going to separate components) is the MB Quart RKC116 or the Infinity Kappa 62.3I or 63.3I. Does anyone know which one is the EASIEST to install? Which one requires the least mod work to make fit? My concern with the MB Quart is that it may not be efficient enough to be driven by the factory amp? I can't find a dealer that stocks both of these, so I can't actually hear the sound level output between the two.

I would appreciate any info that anyone can provide on this matter. I realize that this is still going to be a compromised system, but can you help answer me these questions.

1. Will I notice a decent level of improvement by simply replacing the door speakers and leaving EVERYTHING else alone?

2. Which of the two above mentioned speakers will put out the loudest sound with the stock amp? Or will they be essentially equal? I understand the 2ohm vs 4ohm loss of SPL factor that I will be facing? I can handle losing 3db for improved clarity, but 6db may be too much?

3. Which of the two above mentioned speakers will most easily fit in the exisiting factory mounts?

4. Which of the two above mentioned speakers will sound the best? (subjective answer I'm sure, but I find the stock system to be totally lacking any snap like when listening to a snare drum, and the overall tone is hollow and nasal like mush that just blares when turned up! So, I probably do want something fairly bright... BUT is the hollow mush and lack of slew rate snap due to the speakers or the factory amp? I'm sure that both contribute, but surely the amp can't be that sad... I'm sure that it's lacking power, but to be as sour as it sounds would be disgraceful for electronics.

I'm sure that I'll hear a lot of info about how I should install separate component speakers, and bypass the factory equalizer, and buy new amps, etc. But right now, I'm just interested in trying this approach. Again, I know that it will not be optimum, but will it give me enough improvement in clarity and snap and still provide essentially the same volume as the stock system? If so, I will be relatively happy at that point...

Thanks for any of your direct help to these direct questions

Old 03-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Advanced

if your having that much trouble deciding between the sound of the two they must be pretty equal. id go with which ever one i can find with the lowest ohm load. if you buy these speakers at a shop they should install for free or if not then less than $30 my advice is let them do it
Old 03-25-2002, 01:25 AM
Advanced

If I understand you correctly, you haven't actually heard these speakers. I would definitely recommend listening to the speakers if you get a chance.

My opinion on the speakers is that the MB Quarts are just too bright. I have liked some of the Infinity speakers that I have heard in the past. These are generalizations with speakers that I have heard in the past and don't necessarily reflect the actual speakers you are looking at.

I don't know how sensitive the stock speakers are so I can't tell you how your new speakers would compare in loudness. My guess is that they would be pretty close in loudness. You could always upgrade the speakers now and then determine whether or not you need an external amp later.

David
Old 03-26-2002, 03:27 AM
Banned

Southbound:
You can easily do a drop in install yourself...with coaxials...which is what you sound like you're leaning to. You will have to make a spacer for any 6.5" speakers you put in...the size of which is (speaker mounting depth) - 1.5. Don't worry...it's really easy to do. I'd say get what I have for the rears...JL XR650CX...that or some Kappas (I love Infinity, and have had three people with TLs install them with my suggestion and love them)...and put those in...then run an aftermarket amp to them. Although you can use the stock HU to power them it's not a lot of power...12W @ 4 ohms...definitely nowhere near what you want. So get, say, if you want to be cheap...a Rockford Fosgate 400a4, which'll send 50W @ 4 ohms to each coaxial...that's like $150...and the two 650CX pairs are $150 apiece...so $450 total. Or go up to a JL 300/4 (there's one in the For Sale forum)...that should bump you up to $550. Or get 2 RF 400a4's, one for each pair of speakers...with a final cost of $600. Don't pay some monkey to install what you can install yourself.

As for specific answers 1) yes you will hear a difference 2) I believe the kappas will, check the sensitivity ratings 3) you didn't list what sizes you were looking at so...? 4) kappas...subjective...but I suggest you go to a shop, look interested, and listen...the go buy the ones you like online.

Austin519
Old 03-26-2002, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

I would pick MB quart, i personally think the infinity kappas suck. Had them in my last car, it sounded so bad.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Look at a just about any car in Car Audio or similar mags and they usually have MB Quarts in their ride. They are the best for the money, for an easily obtainable speaker. They will sound all right under a factory deck, but any speaker will sound better with an amp to drive them. Even a high powered head unit matching your speaker wattage connot drive high end speaker like a seperate amp can. A 50 watt Pheonix Gold amp is about four times the size of a 50w car stereo. You will notice a difference with just a speaker change, but you should consider putting an amp in the car for a lot better sound. It is worth the time and money IMHO
Old 03-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

i am a big fan of the mb quarts and the jl's.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by jkc2121
i am a big fan of the mb quarts and the jl's.
I am a visiting CL member, and that is what I have in my ride. Eclipse deck, Quarts seperates, and JL subs. Sounds 100% better than the stock system.