Mattastick's Street A/Daily build log

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mattastick's Street A/Daily build log

Hey guys, here's a summary of what I've done with my CL. It's currently a dd/Street A comp car. For those that don't know (or want to read) the dbdrag rules (I don't blame you, they're pretty confusing and complex) here's a basic outline for Street A: 1 12" sub (or 2 10's or 3 8's), 1 amp, 1 battery (less than 650ci), car off, less than 2 layers of deadener in the car.
Now, onto the build:

Here's what I started with:
Alpine 9884 hu and Clarion EQS764. Knukonceptz Karma SS rca's, Phoenix gold 1/0 wiring kit, 4g wire from the rear batt to the amps, Kinetik HC600 rear batt.

Initial trunk "done": Amps: Rockford Fosgate Punch 450.2 (sub) and 450.4 (interior speakers). Sub: RF T110d2. Box: ~1 cube sealed.

Front Speakers: Polk/Momo MMC5250's. Rear speakers: Polk/Momo MMC6500's.
First to go was the amp. I upgraded to an Orion 1200d. Now I'm working on trading the Orion for a Sundown SAZ-2000d. That should help with things...
Next upgrade was the sub. I sold the RF T10 and sent the money for my new sub (RD Alpha V.2 12) the same day. Here's what I got in the mail about 2 days later:

Since those pics, the dust cap of the sub (the part that says "revolution" has been replaced. It helped a ton since the dc was bad when I got the sub. Fortunately, the seller is a great guy and bought everything I needed for me so it didn't cost me anything but what I payed the guy to replace the dc.
With the new sub, brought the need for a new box. This new box is also the current box, and will likely stay as 1 box I use for car shows due to some cool additions to the box. Here are some of these touches:
45's in all vertical corners (this will remain in the new box):

Plexi in the rear panel:

Here's a pic from the front of the car, looking back through the ski-pass:

This bit will be removed for the new box, mainly due to this one being more about performance than looks... Plus, plexi flexes more than MDF, and box flex = bad for numbers.
Next up were the rear speakers. I traded what were the front speakers (Polk/Momo MMC5250's) for a set of Bravox Audio EXS6's. They're great speakers, and I highly recommend them. At the same time, I moved what were the rear speakers (Polk/Momo MMC6500's) to the front doors (using 1" spacer rings) and installed the Bravox mids in the rear deck.

Mid in baffle

Since the mids were installed, I got a new head unit (Pioneer DEH-6900ub) and installed that. Sorry, no pics because it was literally this past week. I didn't get gains/settings right until yesterday. Then I had the comp today, so the setup is basically the way it was at the comp. Due to my gaining db's when I pulled the rear speakers/baffles out, I'm thinking about leaving them out and/or selling them. Also thinking about selling the box, since I'm going to be doing the new one. Only thing is, shipping would suck something hardcore. PM me if interested in either. Let me know what you think...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
glad to see you finally got some pics and a thread up Matt
now you can stop cluttering up that projects thread
and you gotta get some recent trunk, and HU pics
cuz i've only seen pics of all your stuff on your floor, and not in action
...so you didn't end up taking the backseat out for the comp then?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM
N00berator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice setup....to bad i never got into the sound system...no regrets...more pix/
Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mitch14
glad to see you finally got some pics and a thread up Matt
now you can stop cluttering up that projects thread
and you gotta get some recent trunk, and HU pics
cuz i've only seen pics of all your stuff on your floor, and not in action
...so you didn't end up taking the backseat out for the comp then?
Trunk is currently an absolute mess after the comp. I had to move both amps around in order to maximize my SPL. Right now, I'm only running my front speakers, and I'm liking it... I'm thinking I might just keep the setup this way, and bridge my 4 channel into 2 channels to power the fronts. ~180w to each side of my front speakers should be pretty fun...

Come to find out I can't take the backseat completely out due to class rules... GAY, but whatever. That just means I'll have to do more work on the box and everything to beat the Eclipse that kicked my ass yesterday (he did a 142.9db at 43hz) since he's going to be working on his box as well...

Originally Posted by MoSp33d
nice setup....to bad i never got into the sound system...no regrets...more pix/
More pics and full build log here: http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ead.php?t=5536. I'll try to take some more pics here this week or so, but I'm mainly focused on building the new box, and getting that done before another competition this upcoming weekend...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Well, new plans for a comp in a little under 3 weeks. The update is a pair of AA Chaos 10s in this box:

with power from another SAZ-1500d. I had one and sold it in order to buy an active capable hu, but then sold that as well, once I picked up an active processor (Arc Audio IDX). So there've been plenty of changes since the last update, but my best score to date is a 138.8db at 43 hz. That was street A legal with the RD Alpha V2 and the Orion 1200d with the 2nd box I built that had a bigger port and was tuned higher (36hz compared to 33hz). New box is tuned at 30.115hz (well, a hair below that due to the fact that I'm off on my volume calculations by about 19 cubic inches, which may end up being the speaker wire, so it's all good). Either way, subs are on their way, amp is getting ordered this week when I get payed, and the probably building the box on Friday. I'm going out of town for my cousin's wedding this upcoming weekend, and then moving to my new apartment a week from tomorrow. From there, I'll test to figure out where the box needs to be placed for best results, seal it off from the back, and put in the tweets and finish the frontstage (finally). Either way, I gotta be done with everything on Sept. 19th for the ESP finals event in Centerville Ohio, which should be a very good event, and there will be some very stiff competition...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really need to grind away the paint under your ground.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven Kephart
You really need to grind away the paint under your ground.
The ground is going to change when I re-do the setup here in about a week or so. It'll be going down in the spare tire well, and that whole piece is coming out of the car... And I will clean the other ground place, don't worry.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
my ground is the strut bolts best ground i could fine.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Drifting

I'm going to be squeezing every millimeter in width that I can, so no 1/0 running beside the box this time... I don't know what I'm going to do with my amps yet, but they'll either be on top of the box (cushioned with some rubber of course) or on the sides... I dunno... Thoughts/ideas? Box is only 20" deep, so I could put them behind the box if I needed to, but I'd like to keep that space free in case I need to get my spare...
Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

just put it in front not mounted to the box then put a quick disconnect in the speaker wife. thats what i did could take the box out fast and easy if i needed to. the reason for the quick connects is i used the nut and bolt terminal. as you know takes less space and does not weaken the box. mine was louder when i backed it off from the seat way louder
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Drifting

My subs/port are going to be firing to the front of the car... I'm pulling the brace behind the rear seats (going to bump me up a class, and I'm pissed but whatever) and then pulling the rear seat for most of Sept to get testing/practice done. I'll be sealing off the front of the box from the trunk of the car so that no air will get behind my sealing point (wherever I make that, it'll depend on testing).
Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

if removing the brace is bumping you, then why the hell do it???? I wish i had gotten to compete I think i could have done some damage. Ah well maybe next build whenever the hell that happens.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Nice work, especially at a young age. Don't forget the pics when its all done....
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
if removing the brace is bumping you, then why the hell do it???? I wish i had gotten to compete I think i could have done some damage. Ah well maybe next build whenever the hell that happens.
If you look at the shape of our trunk, you can see that it eats dbs. The "wedge" where the trunk lid comes down and the floor comes up. I have yet to find a way around it, other than to pull the brace and run subs/port forward. So that's what I'm going to do. It only bumps me up a class in dbdrag which I don't really care about. My car is mainly for bassracing 129.9, so it should be more competitive in that class now. The only reason I burp is to get points in the ESP challenge events towards ESP finals and so I can get some cash. Other than that, I'm not too worried.

Originally Posted by RPJ28
Nice work, especially at a young age. Don't forget the pics when its all done....
Thanks, and I'll try to make sure I get some pics. I'm moving out a week from today, so I'll have a garage to myself (other roommates don't want it). Either way, it'll be an interesting build.

I need to finish up a cut sheet on the new box, then it's time to build on Friday morning. The box will be 3/4" Birch ply to help save on weight. The subs should be here on Thursday/Friday, box built Friday, amp should be here next week sometime, then testing hopefully next Wednesday to figure out where I need to put the box. Hopefully sealing it up either Wednesday or Friday. Either that, or hopefully I'll be able to pick up some hours at work, and then I'll be working on the car on the weekends. Either way, it'll have to be done by the 19th for the show, but I'm going to try to finish early so I can get some bassrace practice in.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Today I worked on getting the car ready for ESP finals in about a week and a half. I'm hoping to get ahold of a TL and get some testing done, as well as an O-scope to set my gains correctly to maximize clean power with these 9v pre-outs from the IDX. The work I did today upped me from street classes to SS NW, but it's cool since I'm more about bassracing 29.9 anyway. So, on to what everyone really wants to see, the pics:

The brace from the trunk:

First attempt at shoving the box in today:

It's in!!!:

Right side of the enclosure:

Top:

Left side:

Box through the ski pass:

Rear seats out:

Box all caged up:

Brace out:

As it sits now:

That was before dinner. After dinner, I went back out and worked some more. I can't wait to get ahold of an o-scope and set the gains correctly. That way I can get the most clean power output from all my amps, and I won't have to worry about dirty signal and all that fun stuff... Here are some pics of it finished:

One sub:

Two sub:
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

nice. man i would leave the back seat out and seal that trunk. man thats a hairy ass knee lol
Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Drifting

nice. man i would leave the back seat out and seal that trunk.
That's the plan. I'm headed to Wisconsin in about 12 hours, so I'm not really going to get anything done till after I get back. But sometime next week, I'll get to sealing everything off, then if possible put the back seat back in. I doubt that'll work since the support pieces for the rear seats are on the brace, but who knows...

man thats a hairy ass knee lol
Yeah, I know I'm a hairy mother fucker, huh?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Is that where your box is going to end up , or are you going to trim the top around the box and pull it a little more forward? Also I'm interested in seeing how your sealing it up from the trunk.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richardparker
Is that where your box is going to end up , or are you going to trim the top around the box and pull it a little more forward? Also I'm interested in seeing how your sealing it up from the trunk.
I'm not really sure where the box will end up at... Only testing will tell. Some people have gained from pushing the box further into the trunk, and some have gained having it all the way forward. So hopefully, I'll be on a TL Monday so I can get that all taken care of. Along with getting my gains set with an O-Scope and hopefully some clamp testing to see what kind of box rise I'm getting, and actual power output.

As for sealing it off, I'm going to duct tape around the entire perimeter of the box, wherever it happens to be loudest. Then, I'll come in from the back with Great Stuff expanding foam to get a good seal. The goal will be the same number with the trunk open as with the trunk closed. That means you've got a good seal...

Impressions of the setup thus far. Holy hell this thing kills the lows. I beat on the setup pretty good on the highway coming back tonight, and when I got home (about a 45+ minute drive) the amp was barely warm. Not too shabby from Sundown. This amp is also efficient as hell. It's wired at .5 ohms, with a stock 85A alt, PM D5100R, and 1 run of 1/0, and my voltage on the highway doesn't drop below like 13.6 full out on almost any song. It's sick... If you have a chance to buy a Sundown amp, I would suggest you jump on it, these things are efficient powerhouses, and well worth the extra cash IMO.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Drifting

Which Sundown amp would be good to power a 12W7 and the cost of it?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by '03TL-S
Which Sundown amp would be good to power a 12W7 and the cost of it?
Sundown SAZ-1000D. Call Jacob (the owner) for pricing. There's MSRP posted on his site, but you probably won't pay that... I know competitor pricing is much less, and I'm going to be trying to get on Team Sundown so I can get a 100.4 for cheap. Don't let the MSRP scare you. It's really high but like I said, you likely won't pay that. If you're willing to go used, you can also check out car audio forums (caraudio.com and caraudioclassifieds.org are 2 of the best for classifieds) and look for used ones. You might even be able to get away with an SAE-1000D, since you'll only be running it at 1.5 ohms. If you can find one, an SAE-1200D will give you plenty of headroom, especially since these amps do rated power and change at like 12.6 volts, which is nuts.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Intermediate

my subs hit harder.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cbiscut05
my subs hit harder.
2 Kicker CVR's huh? Care to put those on a TermLab and prove you're actually louder? I'd guess you're not...

Last edited by mattastick; 09-13-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Any updates ?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Drifting

This weekend we had our 1st annual ESP Finals event, and I took 2nd overall, losing in a tiebreaker, after being tied for the top spot. Not too bad for a setup that went into the weekend with 0 testing, and not having much bassrace experience. I finished sealing off the box from the trunk, and it made a huge difference. My current peak with this setup is 34hz, which I'm loving. Anyway, here are some pics of the work finished. I hope to up my electrical and possibly get a hu outside the car for better bassracing practices. Anyway, pics:

Duct tape ftw:

Rear deck:

Finished:

Great Stuff:

What'cha think?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Like the progress man,How many rolls of duct tape you use ? Are you plan on doing anything to dress it up when your positioning is done.Air presure is totally gone from the trunk now? Did you try to burp it at all? Please tell me you have a vid to share....
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Drifting

Like the progress man,How many rolls of duct tape you use ? Are you plan on doing anything to dress it up when your positioning is done.Air presure is totally gone from the trunk now? Did you try to burp it at all? Please tell me you have a vid to share....
Glad to see you've changed a bit on my build. I remember not too long ago you saying you didn't like anything I'd done. Anyway, that's in the past, and thanks for the compliment. There's 2 full rolls of duct tape on the rear deck/backseat. I'm pretty sure it's about 90-95% sealed off (4 cans of Great Stuff), and some more foam will finish the other 5-10%. I did burp (quite a few times actually). I can't remember all of my scores, but my SS 1-2 score (forgot to put the rear deck cover piece back in for the show) was a 138.3 at 34hz. This setup gets down low, and it's sick... I do remember that my USACi Super Port wars score was a 160.5db, and that was about 12" along the back wall of the port. That surprised quite a few people (myself included) and tells me there's something not right in the box. Over a length of like 22" or so, I lost ~23dbs. That's no good, but it'll work for now. I might try to tear into the box at some point, but with it being sealed into the car, that's going to be very difficult.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Good luck getting it where you want it and getting the db's back up. what's the differance with long narrow vs shot wide port?
I dont think you'll have a hard time getting the box out to rebuild,but I do think you'll have one good mess to deal with.
Any flex'n from the new setup?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Good luck getting it where you want it and getting the db's back up. what's the differance with long narrow vs shot wide port?
I dont think you'll have a hard time getting the box out to rebuild,but I do think you'll have one good mess to deal with.
Any flex'n from the new setup?
If you use the full length of a side wall of your box, your port won't take up as much internal volume. Think about it, the top/bottom of your box (for a vertical slot anyway) are your top and bottom port walls. If you add 2 more boards into the equation, they're going to take up more volume. This also creates odities inside the box with the dead spaces above/below the ports. However, if your port is too long and not wide enough, you could potentially run into some noise issues.

I don't plan on pulling the box out. I'm really happy as it sits, and considering I start school in 2 days and I'm pretty busy until that point, I don't think I'll have a lot (read: little, if any) time to work on the car.

I can feel the sunroof flex on certain songs, but that's from the inside. I know when I was bassracing, the drivers side mirror was flexing a good bit, which is decently impressive, but my previous setups have done that as well. I'm not sure how much flex there actually is, so I might take some vids sometime tomorrow (or some other time this week) to find out.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Flexing vids are the sh#% cant wait to see them.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

my subs hit harder.

hahaha really your stuff prolly sounds like shyt with a nice prefab box you bought from the store.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Drifting

hahaha really your stuff prolly sounds like shyt with a nice prefab box you bought from the store.
Yeah, that's about what I'm thinking... If it does get louder, whatever, since it's probably at a higher frequency. I love my low as peak. It's sick.

I'm really having some box problems though, and I don't know what's wrong. This setup loses about 23dbs in about 25" of port length. In USACi Super Port Wars (mic inside the port as far as you can get it) I burped a 160.5db. The other TL mic was at the opening of the port, and read like a 137-8 or so dbs. So somehow I'm losing a huge amount of SPL over like half of my port length... I'm really confused by this one...
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
2nd overall, nice Matt, get your kinks worked out, and you'll be owning
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
2nd overall, nice Matt, get your kinks worked out, and you'll be owning
I'm not too concerned with the box, but right now I don't have much headroom for the money class. And since the class is all about a 30 second average, I can't catch up like some guys can. So as long as I get a good start, I'm good... And thanks btw.

I'm also working on adding more electrical backup for this setup. I figure 2 XS D3100's and a ~150A alt should take care of things.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

holy hell how many rolls of duct tape gave their lives for that hahahaha
Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
2000 WDP

Nice work matt!!!

my subs hit harder.
And i doubt it bro, u prolly have the prefab box from Kicker and ur prolly between 129 and 132ish
Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Drifting

holy hell how many rolls of duct tape gave their lives for that hahahaha
Uh, 2 I think... I kinda lost track after awhile, it was just pull some off, and seal up the holes.

Originally Posted by D.Greenwood13
Nice work matt!!!

And i doubt it bro, u prolly have the prefab box from Kicker and ur prolly between 129 and 132ish
Thanks, and he's possibly getting that on a burp. I'm doing better than that on music. I did something like 134.7-8 in USACi Street Beat 1. That's 30 seconds of music averaged outlaw style.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
2000 WDP

Yea he might be, and yours isnt that bad, i need to get mine back in the shop and meter it again, i havent metered it since i trimmed my trunk out and on sum 3-6 song i hit 141.7ish, and ive probably lost a db or 2.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by D.Greenwood13
Yea he might be, and yours isnt that bad, i need to get mine back in the shop and meter it again, i havent metered it since i trimmed my trunk out and on sum 3-6 song i hit 141.7ish, and ive probably lost a db or 2.
Nice score...

All I'm looking for is a little more headroom for the 29.9 class. Other than that, I don't care. Country music doesn't have a lot of bass, and that's pretty much all I listen to daily. If I'm going to listen to rap, it's likely only to demo/show off, and then it's gotta be low or go home, hence my 30hz tuning. My current setup did a 160.5db at 43hz in Super Port Wars, so I know there's more in it, just need a box wizard to help me out, and hopefully on a budget since I'm a broke college kid. I'm talking with a local guy now, and I'm hoping he can help me out some. His crx does 155.7 in Street C, but he said it was doing over a 156 in his driveway... So, he knows what he's doing... If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to let me know. I already have 45's in all the vertical corners of the box, so that's not an issue...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Finally doing my Second Skin review. First off, let me say, this stuff is sick. Awesome quality, extremely thick foil, it's no joke.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. Here's the install pics/vids:

Everything sitting on the table:

Test setup:

Score before at 34hz:

Knock test of the door, before deadener:

Door before:

Started at the bottom of the door:

And another knock test:

One door done, Here's the score, still at 34hz:

Got about 90% coverage in both doors:

From inside the door:

Final shot of the score, now at 32hz:

Again, big thanks to Ant, and sorry it's taken this long to get the review done. I highly suggest this to anyone who is looking for any kind of deadener.

Little shot of some hardware from this past season:

That's 2 shows worth. I should have another one coming, but I dunno where it's at. Still waiting on the guys at Maxxonics from their comp. Regardless, that was a great show since all of the money went towards Breast Cancer Research.

Quick Reply: Mattastick's Street A/Daily build log