Loud noise when turn off HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 07:29 PM
DESI miern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loud noise when turn off HU

I just got my amp and subs installed in my 99 TL with factory head unit.....I had the guy put a switch so i can turn the amp on and off......Now when I turn the amp off with the switch and then the HU everything is fine, but when I turn off the HU and leave the switch on my speakers go crazy with bass.....I have to turn the HU back on and then switch the amp off......Anybody know why this is happening?....all opinions wanted.....thanks

Amish
Old 02-21-2002, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoLimitDeC:
Sup bud...think I answered your Q on AIM...but I'll go ahead and post what I said for anyone else with a similar problem...

"I just got my amp and subs installed in my 99 TL with factory head unit.....I had the guy put a switch so i can turn the amp on and off......Now when I turn the amp off with the switch and then the HU everything is fine, but when I turn off the HU and leave the switch on my speakers go crazy with bass.....I have to turn the HU back on and then switch the amp off......Anybody know why this is happening?....all opinions wanted.....thanks "

The problem with what this guy did is that he wired your remote turn on (for your amp) through a switch directly to batt+. Unless you specifically wanted that, it was a stupid move. You'd only specifically want that if you had other equipment that you wired through your amps that would still be on after the HU cut off. What he SHOULD have done was wire the amp remote turn on through a switch and to your HU, the easy way being to splice the sub amp turn on wire in the rear behind the seats. That way your amps would cut off when the HU did and not drain your battery. In addition you could turn them off while driving like I assume you want.

As a result of not doing this, your amps are on when your HU cuts off. So depending on what all he wired, two things will happen. When the HU cuts off and the electronics inside discharge they'll send a surge through your signal input wires to your amp (granted, newer HUs don't do this...but I think that the stock HU would). So the amps amplify just a current surge...which is of course bad in that you'll just hear a whump. The second thing is that with the HU off, if they didn't insulate the wire well (and the fact that they ran it under the car already makes me think this place is sketchy, they did wire the 0 gauge under the car you said online right?) then you've got a LOT of EM (electromagnetic) noise coming from your car through your wires...which you won't notice with the system on...but will when it's off. That's why you'd wire the switch the other way...and doing that should take care of your problem. Let me know what happens when you get the idiot to rewire it.

Austin519