loooking for headrest monitors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
loooking for headrest monitors

i posted this thread in the TL, but didint get much response....hopefully this is the place to be.

I am loooking for headrest monitors, not necessarily 7" but i can also go with the 5.6 inch, since i want to match the size somewhat with my navi screen (which is converted to DVD). I am not looking to get Alpine, since its just too damnn expensive, soo somehting like sony, kenwood, toshiba, sharp, pioneer, audiovox would do. Anyone know where i can get screens from or even have them installed? I might be able to get my own screens, so does anyone know the going rate for installing them into headrests?

any help would be good
thanx
Old 02-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black market

hey, there is a guy in the black market (can't remember name) that is selling his visor w/ screens and headrests w/ screens. hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Pro

yeahhh i know what ur talkign about.. but the thing was he has the CL headrests, which look cOMPLETELY different from the headrests that i have.... and like thats gona screw up the look of the car, and plus in his pictures, i saw that one of hte visor screens was lopsided... so i never went on wiht that deall.. other than that it was a really good deal... thanx for looking out
Old 02-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Racer

how much money were you looking to spend? i remember you telling me you cant afford to buy one of the cheaper parts i was selling, i dont remember what it was though. i wouldnt spend anything less than 500 or 600 dollars.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro

derek, i remember you wantd 800 for the screens in the headrest... i DEFINATELy odnt want to spend that much... im lookin to spend about 500 on it altogeter... if u wana call your 800$ headrest TV's one of ur cheaper parts, then thass cool... but i dont think people would call that cheap
Old 02-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

hmm well, you could get a pair of boss screens off ebay for like 200 shipped or something. i have no idea about the quality though. install is a pretty simple project but if you want to have it professionally done i suggest shopping around in bklyn. it will probly be your best bet. im pretty sure it should be like 250=300 for install tho. i dont see why it would be more if they are your screens
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Racer

oo. i thought you asked me about another part. but like i said, i dont really remember, and im only asking 700 for both tvs, already in headrests. honestly, if you spend any less than that, your gonna get a big pile of crap. unless your gonna install them yourself, then you can do it for about that 500 dollar level. installation is expensive in a project like this, but its very very important. thats one reason i went with the myron and davis because they come installed in headrests from there factory so you get a perfect fit. no one has bought my headrests because people say you can find the same ones on ebay for 500. ive never seen this, but you should check it out. then youll get a decent set up for your price range.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:44 PM
is still kickin!

what are the best brands of headrest monitors?

are Tft's any good
Old 02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Pro

TFT is just the type of screen.... like the actual screen itself.... almost EVERY monitor is TFT, including Alpine and Pyle (which i leanred is a piece of shit)

Tpatel, i just dont trust those companies that ive never heard of... thers a lot of companies on ebay, boss, pyle, phenix, akoustic,.... all those to me are the same soo im lookin for like audiovox or panasonic... they are not TOO expensive but they get the job done... by the way, you know anyone in brooklyn who installs? or i can call them to ask them how much

thanx
Old 02-03-2005, 08:54 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I like Movin' On Sound on the Island. movinonsound.com.

The only guy I've seen in Brooklyn, I would not recommend - at all.

TFT means thin film transistor. As is said, any decent monitor is TFT, and so are a lot of cruddy ones. I guess there are some real POS's that are STN instead of TFT, but they should be obviously too good to be true.

Hey, Silver Ice, will 7" widescreens fit your application?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yo if u can can find out what screen you want i can try to find out about a good deal for you
Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro

youngin Tl- pM sent.. Thanx man

Elduderino, 7" CAN fit... i think i did a search and someone said they did it. but its REALLY REALLY tight and i dont think there is any space left on either side.. Not sure if 7" is the way to go but i know someone did fit it in. i am lookin inspecific for either 5.6" or 5.8" and maybe if i get a good deal i can stretch out to 6.5" .. but thats about it....Also, i have the stock navi screen which i play dvd's off of, so i dont want to have a small screen in the front and have relaly huge 7" screens in the headrests.. just a thought
Old 02-03-2005, 10:14 PM
VP Electricity

I will ro some research and PM ya tomorrow... g'night.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

You can get something like 7" widescreen Farenheit monitor for about $250 a piece. Decent monitors for the money. Of course there are lower and higher brands, hence the change in pricing, but these are definitely decent for the money.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro

elduderino.... thanx a lot- i just realized you been helping me on both threadds.. this one i started and the other alarm one hehe... thanx man

Ron@ase, i was told to stay away from that company.... i duno why.. people said its just like pyle, phoenix, akoustic and all the others on ebay or something.... but ill definatel look up on it.... thanx for the info
Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by ron@se
You can get something like 7" widescreen Farenheit monitor for about $250 a piece. Decent monitors for the money. Of course there are lower and higher brands, hence the change in pricing, but these are definitely decent for the money.
iv seen Farenheit monitors before. there is ONE model that is exceptional quality. ill try and find out which one. this screen had better quality than my pioneer screen (which sucks to begin with, but we wont go into that).
Old 02-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Silver you are wrong about Farenheit. They are actually pretty good moniters. I use a good number of them at my shop. Personally I wouldn't use them, but then again after doing enough installs of headreast i've learned that it's best to save up, and go with a company named Myron & Davis. Its all we use now at our shop b/c of their quality. Up side to them is the fact that they give you two whole new headrests with 7 or 8 inch moniters. Leather is a dead on match, same with cloth if you wanted cloth. And you can request them with various embroidery. Downside is they cost a little bit more: depending on what your shop wants to sell them at they range between 1k-2k installed.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by Scott P
Silver you are wrong about Farenheit. They are actually pretty good moniters. I use a good number of them at my shop. Personally I wouldn't use them, but then again after doing enough installs of headreast i've learned that it's best to save up, and go with a company named Myron & Davis. Its all we use now at our shop b/c of their quality. Up side to them is the fact that they give you two whole new headrests with 7 or 8 inch moniters. Leather is a dead on match, same with cloth if you wanted cloth. And you can request them with various embroidery. Downside is they cost a little bit more: depending on what your shop wants to sell them at they range between 1k-2k installed.

could you hook us up with a discount?!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
iv seen Farenheit monitors before. there is ONE model that is exceptional quality. ill try and find out which one. this screen had better quality than my pioneer screen (which sucks to begin with, but we wont go into that).
Which Pioneer screen did you have bad experiences with?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Pro

i believe you, like i said- someone else told me that they werent all that great. I was just going by what someone else told me but i guess you are right since you deal with them. As nyzgreatest said, would you be able to hook us up with a discount? Even if you can ship out the screens without the headrest that would be cool. Let us know your price with A-tl forum discounts

btw, we're both in NY
Old 02-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

unfortunately I can't hook up a discount at the moment. I am battling with new owners over employee prices and accomodations and things are moving slowly (which i guess is what ought to be expected when trying to renovate and rejuvinate a whole chain of stores).

I'll talk to them tomorrow about seeing what we can do to set up a group buy on them. Just to give basics on it the new headrests come with the monitors built into them. so although it is possible to get just the screens there is no benifit to it. Build quality is top notch though. here is a link if you would like more info about them:

http://www.myronanddavis.com/product...DatabaseFlag=1

like i said before, this is the only one i will do anymore. I feel that strongly about them.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

this are the screens im selling, and you can install them yourself in about an hour. so to be 2k would be CRAZY...

Old 02-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro

TO Nyzgreatest and Scott P::::

Are these the screens you are talking about that are good? i see the resolution exceeds Alpine's resolution.. the screens are Farenheit T-7000MHR ... on ebay 2 guys selling for 130 and 150

Scott P- how much do you sell these screens for if i wanted JUST the screens without the headrest???
Old 02-04-2005, 11:30 PM
VP Electricity

There are NO 7" LCD headrest screens other than touchscreens for PCs that have more than 1/4 VGA resolution... so what rez improvement are you referring to?

Are they citing H x L or total pixels?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

super- I agree that 2k is alot for these screens, but you have to remember there are places that over charge in this industry. I was looking through records last night and last setup i did was the pair of 7" headrests, dvd player, tv tuner (it would have been nice if i could have just used a dvd player with tv already built in but that wasn't what the customer wanted), installation and tax for approx 1600.

silver- to be honest those screens are pretty good, One of our installers just used that very screen to flush into his dash in his volvo. Resolution wise I would put it up there with alpine, Pioneer, icon, etc; but as el dude said in the end they all come out pretty much the same. My only worry about using a t7000 moniter in our headrests is that given the curve in the headrest and the relative fragility of the bezel that comes on that moniter I would be concerned about the longterm ability for the mounting to look good.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro

i hear ya... i was initially looking for 5.6" or 5.8" anyway..... as for resolution, i know alpine is like 1400 X 234 or something like that... so i guess something lower than that about 960X234 would do....
Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know a good place in north jersey, StreetEffectz i would e-mail them, im sure they could get u some good deals on screens.... Streeteffectz@streeteffectz.com
Old 02-05-2005, 10:38 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
i hear ya... i was initially looking for 5.6" or 5.8" anyway..... as for resolution, i know alpine is like 1400 X 234 or something like that... so i guess something lower than that about 960X234 would do....
On this spec, please be aware that the 234 are the Vertical pixels, or the Horizontal lines of resolution. The larger number are the number of Horizontal pixels. The variation is simply the greater number of pixels across a 16:9 wide screen as opposed to a 4:3 "normal" screen. You don't get any more resolution - when you look at vertical lines of rez. With a 4:3 image the extra pixels are just black bars.

1/4 VGA is 234 lines of rez.

VGA is 480.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro

i know 16:9 is better than 4:3.... but wats this whole vga thing???

also, the higher the NIT is better right? i believe the farenheit are 450 NIT
Old 02-06-2005, 11:24 AM
VP Electricity

First, Nits is a measure of brightness, but if the Fahrenheit monitors are really 450, I'll eat my hat. They would be so bright at 450 that the backseat would be lit up like Tokyo at night. Most HR LCD's end up around 250-300 tops.

There's no regulation on these specs, though, so I think they are just lying. I'm sure they're bright enough, but not 450.

VGA is a computer level of resolution. SVGA is better, then XVGA. 1/4 VGA has 1/2 the number of horizontal lines as VGA, and 1/4 the total pixels.

Here's how the horizontal lines go:

1/4 VGA 234
VHS ~220
DVD 250-300? (using yellow RCA composite output)
NTSC TV 330 (North American TV broadcasting)
VGA 480
DVD Max 480 (using component output)
HDTV 720 or 1080

So if you are using yellow-RCA composite video from a DVD player, you are probably not seeing as detailed a picture with a 1/4 VGA LCD as you could... but small screens look OK to us, especially when we have been watchin non-HD TV as a reference.

Wide is preferable for DVD viewing, but it does NOT neccesarily add any resolution - you get extra pixels to fill up the extra width, but that's not more pixels per square inch. TV resolution is measured in Horizontal lines, so you can compare 16:9 and 4:3.

Below is the text from a manual for an all-in-one widescreen DVD monitor system. It explains the widescreen idea a bit...

Motion picture film and cameras, and later
television screens, were originally designed
around a screen size that was almost square - it
was one-third wider than it was high (another
way to say this is that it had a width-to-height
ratio, or aspect ratio, of 4:3. This ratio, 4:3, can
also be expressed as 1.66:1.)
When widescreen movies using technologies
like Cinemascope and Panavision became
popular, new aspect ratios were used
for them - 1.78:1, 2.35:1, and even 2.55:1.
When high-definition television was
developed, a screen shape of 16:9, or 1.85:1,
was selected as the best compromise for
viewing widescreen movie images.

When you watch widescreen movies on a
standard 4:3 television, there are “black bars”
on the top and bottom of the screen. This is
often called a “letterbox” image. The alternative
is called “pan-and-scan”, where the edges of
the image are “cropped” off.

This system uses a widescreen 16:9, or 1.85:1
display - the same aspect ratio as high-definition
televisions. This means that when
viewing widescreen DVD’s, these black bars
are either non-existent, or greatly minimized.

WHY ARE THE BLACK BARS STILL THERE SOMETIMES?
There are three possible reasons for black bars to appear on the top
and bottom of an A10 display:

1) You are watching a widescreen movie with an aspect ratio
greater than 1.85:1. (For more options on dealing with this, see
below). Check the disc jewel box to determine the DVD’s aspect
ratio - if you see 2.3:1, 2.33:1, or 2.35:1, this applies.

2) The internal DVD player has been set for a 4:3 display instead of a
16:9, wide display. See DVD Setup on Page 23 to correct this.
3) The “widescreen” DVD movie you are viewing is not “anamorphic”
or “enhanced for widescreen televisions”. These films, often older
DVD conversions, are not recommended for viewing on
widescreen displays. You can usually determine if your DVD was
produced for optimum compatibility with widescreen televisions by
looking for the word “anamorphic” or the phrase “enhanced for
widescreen televisions” on the box.

WHAT CAN I DO?
First, Rosen recommends that for best results you use DVD’s that
say “anamorphic” or “enhanced for widescreen televisions” on the
box. However, this system can get rid of black bars with just about
any DVD, by following the steps on the next page.

Note: To watch “fullscreen” DVD’s or broadcast television
(using an optional TV tuner), you can use the DISPLAY MODE
button to select “STANDARD”. This will properly size the
image, instead of stretching the image across the wide
screen. In “STANDARD” mode, you will see black bars on the
sides of the image.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

TO Nyzgreatest and Scott P::::

Are these the screens you are talking about that are good? i see the resolution exceeds Alpine's resolution.. the screens are Farenheit T-7000MHR ... on ebay 2 guys selling for 130 and 150

Scott P- how much do you sell these screens for if i wanted JUST the screens without the headrest???

actually, yes. that is the screen i was talking about.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro

i looked up on those screens... turns out the 6.5" screen is more expensive than the 7".....???? duno i asked the guy and he said the 6.5" screen was much better and it was one of the best ones farenheit has made... soo im actually lookin for those now instead of the 7"... thanx for hte help
Old 02-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

i looked up on those screens... turns out the 6.5" screen is more expensive than the 7".....???? duno i asked the guy and he said the 6.5" screen was much better and it was one of the best ones farenheit has made... soo im actually lookin for those now instead of the 7"... thanx for hte help
whats the exact model number of the 6.5?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro

t-6501 ... the 7" screen is t-7001
Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
www.grounded4life.org

the t-6501 are the same screens that im lookin to get in the next few weeks i seen them for $200 at the place where i got my kenwood ddx7015. the only thing is they didnt have them hooked up so i couldnt see the picture quality.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mikey3.2
the t-6501 are the same screens that im lookin to get in the next few weeks i seen them for $200 at the place where i got my kenwood ddx7015. the only thing is they didnt have them hooked up so i couldnt see the picture quality.
200$ a piece.. does he give any warranty... and does he install??? i know your in philly but i woudlnt mind sendin them out to get them installed in the headrests
Old 02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
www.grounded4life.org

yea $200 a piece i dont know about a warranty n they dont install. they might give warranty on them cause they gave me a 1yr. warranty on my kenwood.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro

mikey, if ur gona do those 6501's then go to this website... its the cheapest ive ever found.... http://www.virtualo.net/index.asp?P...WPROD&ProdID=28

Also, a question to everyone.... how are the Farenheit t-6001?? they are 6" diagonal... i looked them up but coudlnt find any info on them- which makes me believe they are discontinued.... if anyone knows anyting about these please let me know.. also, how would they look on TL headrests- too big, too small etc... thanxx
Old 02-09-2005, 01:36 PM
VP Electricity

5.8, 6.5, and 7" are the widescreen sizes. 5.4, 5.6, 6.8 are the 4:3 sizes.

Never heard of a 6, sounds like someone is rounding off...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
IF you guys are interested, we can do the 7001 widescreens for $289 per headrest INSTALLED. All you have to do is send me your headrests.

Quick Reply: loooking for headrest monitors