Kenwood DVD HU in 03 TLS - Wiring assistance needed for ONSTAR/NAV

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Kenwood DVD HU in 03 TLS - Wiring assistance needed for ONSTAR/NAV

Hey! First let me apologize if this issue has already been addressed. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ's or other posts. I have an 03 TL Type-S with Navi and Onstar and I want to get rid of the BOSE system and go with the Kenwood DDX7015 ( http://www.mobileonesales.com/DDX7015_p/ddx7015.htm ). I think the double din touch screen dvd would look great under the navi system. The problem I'm having is that the "pros" at Car Toys are basically telling me that if I install this aftermarket stereo I am going to lose my ONSTAR entirely as well as voice on the Navi system, and my volume control on the steering wheel. I know I can bypass the factory BOSE amp with a special harness, but does anyone know how I can retain my navi and onstar? The volume control on the wheel isn't as big of a deal, but I would like to keep that too if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

--- UPDATE:

OK, So... I read through pretty much the entire forums and decided to go ahead with the install. I printed up several pages out of these forums and presented them, along with the onstar and navi schematics to my installer. Long story short, I've got my Kenwood DVD installed and to looks/sounds great. The problem is, my installer elected to go for a seperate speaker for the navi/onstar audio. This speaker is throwing a lot of feedback and whines when the car is driving. We've tried filters and noise supressors and nothing seems to help. Aside from all that, the voice from the nav/onstar coming out of the speaker is very quiet. I can hear it when the car is idle and the music is not playing, but it does not mute the audio for the nav (the onstar, however still mutes the front speakers). He installed a small 20 watt amp for a 3 1/2" speaker just for the nav. Aside from the feedback and noise issue, this speaker is located under the dash due to the lack of room in the TL. This points the audio down toward the floor. Needless to say, this is not an acceptable solution and will need to be corrected.

I'm desperate for help at this point. I've spent thousands of dollars and nobody can really tell me how to make this work. I've read something about using the stereo speakers with the factory nav (with aftermarket HU) by putting a relay between the left and right speaker leads. Can anyone explain how this is done? I've tried hooking the navi audio wires to one of the stereo speakers, but the sound was way too quiet and all attempts to install this using the Kenwood HU's amp have failed (no sound at all). I would be extremely happy if I could find a way to use the stereo speakers (at least the front left one) for the onstar and nav voice and have it mute the radio, as it did with the stock bose HU. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears, you guys are my only hope... Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:42 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A solution I'm working on for that is to get the Alpine KAX-551n ( http://www.alpine-europe.com/content...r-Car-Navi.htm ) speaker and hook it up to the navi audio wire. I've ordered the speaker and am just waiting for it to arrive. I'll post again when this is done, and let you know how it goes, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.