kappa 3 ways 693.1i

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 08:49 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kappa 3 ways 693.1i

will these (kappa 693.1i 3 ways) also fit in the rear as well as the two way's? Are these good speakers? Anyone put Focal 165k's in the front - how did they fit?
Old 06-10-2001, 11:34 PM
Instructor

hogfan911, they should fit ok. The 3-way 6x9 Kappas actually have a tad less mounting depth than the 2 ways which I have (3&1/8" vs. 3&3/16"). At least for the '01 CL, the trunk lid brace runs directly beneath the rear 6x9s. You'll need a spacer to keep those Infinitys from rubbing against it. Other than that, those Kappa 6x9s sound great...It's too bad I only use them for rear fill.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Infinity Kappa 6.5" comps.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s
10" Kicker Solobaric sub.
Kicker IX405D 5-channel amp.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:50 AM
5th Gear

Driven...was looking at focal 165 k for front doors...you have kappa 6.5 comps how do they sound and cost? btw, what do you mean you use your 6x9 for rear fill? I have a 12" Hx2 fosgate sub and a 500.1 fosgate amp, and a 400.4 amp for the other speakers...just need to figure out which speakers. Your setup sounds good...do u like it...which way is your sub (toward front or back of car)?
Old 06-11-2001, 12:31 PM
Drifting

Driven,
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing with the inside speakers (kappas). Did they go in with out many problems if so how did you fix them??? How do they sound???? As far as the sub how does it sound? What is the RMS of that sub cuz I was thinking of using that same amp and putting a JL 10W3 but I wasn't sure if it had enough juice. Is the sub running at 4 or 2 ohm's. Does it rattle much inside or out?? Please let me know. Thanks a bunch in advance I know its a bunch of questions!

------------------
2001 CL-S White/Tan
non navi
* Spoiler
* Weel Locks
* Polarg m-6
* Red AEM CAI
## Selling 97 and up prelude i/h/e for 600.00. E-mail me##
Old 06-20-2001, 12:10 AM
DR
9th Gear

Driven

When you installed the “Infinity 6”x 9” speakers in the rear of your 3.2 CL, did you have to install a spacer to prevent the trunk assembly from rubbing against the speaker magnets? If so, what material and thickness is it? And were you able to reinstall the “Bose” speaker covers?
Old 06-20-2001, 01:26 AM
Intermediate

I had my car apart this weekend intending to install new speakers, speaker wires, amps, deck, the whole nine.

Problems:

Couldn't find a pass through the fire wall for the power cable. My 5 1/4" door speakers have a four hole configuration and the stock had three. Plus the magnet may be too deep and could interfere with the window slide. So a mounting piece will need to be made. Any suggestions. As for running the speaker wire throught the doors I have no clue. I really don't want to have to remove the dashboard. There are way too many bolts.

The 6x9 replacements for the rear cannot be mounted directly to the old mount or the magnet will interfere with the trunk assembly when closing. As for the speaker covers I had to cut off the excess plastic underneath the grill in order for it to lay flat. Without the stock speaker cover I would lose the stock look and the damn child seat anchors would show.

As for an aftermarket din replacement nothing is available and I went to the trouble to fashion it from wood and will cover with a plastic plate. Way too much trouble. That will have to do until a company gets a clue and manufactures a din replacement. They may as well design it for a double single din to make room for cd and dvd players or use of a digital equalizer, or whatever.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:34 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hogfan911:
Driven...was looking at focal 165 k for front doors...you have kappa 6.5 comps how do they sound and cost? btw, what do you mean you use your 6x9 for rear fill? I have a 12" Hx2 fosgate sub and a 500.1 fosgate amp, and a 400.4 amp for the other speakers...just need to figure out which speakers. Your setup sounds good...do u like it...which way is your sub (toward front or back of car)?</font>
I really like my Infinity Kappas, I think they sound great. I got them dirt cheap on thezeb.com. "Rear fill" with my 6x9s means I have them turned down so they don't mess up the front soundstage. Right now, I'm still working on mounting my amp and stuff in the trunk. But so far the Sub sits at the end of the trunk facing in. Focals are top notch...only problem might be with the mounting depth from what I remember. May not be a problem if you know how to do the modifications.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s
RAZO aluminum pedals
AEM cai
MOMO shift knob on the way
Old 06-20-2001, 05:54 AM
Instructor

Attempting to respond to all your questions with one post...

The Kappas up front do require that the stock bracket's back be cut out to add mounting depth. But that's it. The rear 6x9 Kappas also require a spacer, at least on the driver's side, to avoid the rubbing against the trunk brace. Spacers do come with the Infinitys but if you use them you will have to modify/cut the factory covers to accomodate the protrusion. I suggest you obtain or fabricate "thinner" spacers so that the 6x9 clears the trunk brace without having to modify the factory covers. I improvised a spacer made from a gasket I had. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact thickness for the spacer. Note: the "Bose" speaker covers are fastened down by two screws each from the underside of the rear deck. Remove these screws from the trunk before attempting to pull off the covers from the inside.

Looking from inside a '01 CL-S:
The hole in the firewall for routing your power wire is located behind the firewall insulation (and is perforated by a circle) above the gas pedal near the top center.

Good luck.

------------------
'01 CL-S Black/Parchment
Spoiler and NAV.
Kappa 2-way 6x9s
RAZO aluminum pedals
AEM cai
MOMO shift knob on the way