Just installed the CDT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 04:45 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed the CDT's

All I can say is dam they sound so good!!! I will try to put some pics up when I get them. Now I just need a sub!! What do yall think a JL 250/1 or a 500/1 for an amp??? 12W3 or 2 10W3's for the subs???
Old 08-15-2001, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Hey NOLACLS,

I've saw your post on http://www.teamamp.com I am going to get the CDTs as well. Did you ever consider the coaxial version in their lineup, the HD63DTS? I know Brewboy on the TL forum is installing them in the next couple of days.

Where did you mount the tweeter?

I'm going to have my stuff installed in the next couple of weeks. Ron (StreetEffectz) is doing the install.

Waiting to hear from Brewboy if the coaxs will fit.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Hey NSX,
I thought about the classic coax they have for the "rear fill"...is that the ones you are talking about? I didn't go with them because they only RMS at 40w and max at 80w. I wanted something that handled a little more power for the back (since I have 75w RMS to give) so I went with the classic brax. Check the part # in the sig and also I got the classic coax with the brax and now I am selling them. You or the TL gut might be interested. The HD63DTS are the 3 way set and I didn't want to try to figure out where I would put all that. I love them they sound so dam good!

You will have to do some modification to get them to fit. The 1" tweeter is in the stock location (I was told this would not be the best as far as the "sound stage" goes but it still sounds dam good) and I had to cut a little of the plastic out and wedge them in. I was able to keep it so If I wanted the stock tweeter to go back in it would be no problem...For when I ever sell the car. I had already cut a bigger hole in the door mettle for the kappas I had before, and didn't like, so I don't know if it would have been necessary for the CDT's but again I was able to keep the 3 stock holes for the stock basket for later down the line. I also use a 3/4" spacer and that made the back of the mid driver only be like 1/4" from the window...Its tight but I think it will work. In the back I had some thin plywood cutouts of 6X9's with a hole cut for some 6.5 made...That went in with no problem. You might have to trim some plastic from the grill to get it to fit again..I did to fit the kappas in so it wasn't a problem for me. I will put some pics up when I get a chance. CRAP I just saw that you have a TL not a CL...sorry this was for how it went into my CL. I don't think the TL has the tweeter pod on the pillar right?? Well If not I would go with what they call the braxials (SP) Its like a component set but with the tweeter mounted over the driver and it has the crossover as well. If you want to spend the money I would go with the HD brax in the front and the Classic brax in the back..or you can do the classic coax. Let me know if you have any more questions..I got mine from www.ampmanaudio.com . The zeb also has good prices.

I just looked and realized that you are asking about the brax not the 3 ways I was talking about. Yes I would do thoes for the front (HD63DT) and for the back you could get away with the classic brax...sorry for the long post for no reason
. I didnt realize that was you on the teamamp page. I was thinking about the CDT subs as well but I dont know how they would sound...If you get them let me know!

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: NOLACLS ]
Old 08-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the reply. Yup I got a TL. I am waiting to hear if Brewboy can get the coaxs to fit. Yeah the HD63DTS are the ones I want so I don't have to make a hole for the tweeter. It sounds like it might be a tight fit though.

I've been speaking to Kirk at Ampman a lot. He's fanatic about car audio. Great guy.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Yeah I spoke with Kirk as well but it was to check on my speakers. It took 3 weeks about to get them because they had to wait for some part to come in...O well I have them now and they sound awesome. Let me know if you do the CDT subs I am interested on how they sound. Well I think if anyone can fit them in it will be Ron so good luck and enjoy them.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

This is my planned setup

Helix Precision HXA-500QS 5 channel amp (60x4 + 150x1) - flushed into side of trunk
CDT Audio HD63s or HD62s - can't decide
1 CDT MS-100 10" sub in an Elements Enclosure - might go with two but I want to hear what one sounds like first

These enclosures look really cool. You can see them on http://www.ampmanaudio.com
Old 08-15-2001, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Are you going to put anything in the back?? I would go for the HD63DTS if you dont want to cut the door to mount a separate tweeter. Let me know how the sub sounds...If you do 2 would you try running it off the 150w from the 5ch amp??
Old 08-15-2001, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by NOLACLS:
<STRONG>Are you going to put anything in the back?? I would go for the HD63DTS if you dont want to cut the door to mount a separate tweeter. Let me know how the sub sounds...If you do 2 would you try running it off the 150w from the 5ch amp??</STRONG>
Nothing in the back. I, and Kirk as well don't think it's needed. He drives a TL also. Rear fill in a four-door is overkill at this point.

I definitely don't want to cut the doors for tweets if I don't have to. Waiting to see if this guy (Brewboy) from the TL board is successful in installing the coaxs. It sounds very tight.

I would run the sub(s) off the 150w channel.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Well If the TL door is anything like the cl door on the inside it will be close. Like I said there is only 1/4" clearence at most when the window is down and its hard to tell if I could use a 1" spacer before it starts to hit the door panel. I have a 3/4" spacer now. Well let me know how it goes and if you get one of the CDT subs let me know how it sounds.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

You got it.