JL Audio VR690 6x9

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL Audio VR690 6x9

Is anybody currently using these as a replacement to the 6x9 rear deck speakers that can attest to their quality/performance?

link
Old 02-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Nobody using these? Any other higher-end suggestions for replacements of the 6x9s that are not 2-ways? Just dedicated woofers for low rear-deck sound?

Last edited by t_in_maine; 02-08-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't used them, but I think they would sound great. JL is a good company. Are you doing anything else or just replacing these to run off of the stock amp?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by White92
I haven't used them, but I think they would sound great. JL is a good company. Are you doing anything else or just replacing these to run off of the stock amp?
I'm doing it in steps, starting with the easiest to the hardest. I figure I can do the rear deck speakers myself, then the tweeters, then the front doors (that will be shopped out to someone much more qualified than myself), the rear doors I'm going to leave stock, then eventually possibly an amp, but that's not a priority for me right now, despite all the suggestions from the audiophiles.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T,

I want to warn you that upgrading these speakers alone isn't going to get you any additional sound quality, fidelity, or increased bass. The signal the stock amp gives to these speakers is crossed too high for low bass, cuts out too soon for any good mid range, and isn't powerful enough to drive good aftermarket 6x9s. Its just... pathetic.

I encourage you not to spend money on these, but instead save it toward doing the fronts, or even better, get the mercman cable and go with an amp. Working on the 6x9s alone just isn't worth it.

If you'd like to describe what you're trying to accomplish, and how much your rough budget is, maybe we can help you get there in a better way.

Also T, its helpful to post that you have a TSX while you're in this forum. The A/V forum is shared across the models so we need to know what car you have to help.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What Reach said is a good way to go. It's pretty tough to piece these kinds of things together.

I also have a TSX. I'm going to use Mercman's harness as well. Found here: https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/tsx-factory-amp-bypass-no-splice-adapter-harness-365854/
Then I'm going to use a JL 450/4v2 amp to power front door components and a JL sub in the trunk using Uncald4's fiberglass enclosure, seen here: https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/custom-fiberglass-subwoofer-enclosures-358676/

Last edited by White92; 02-09-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is what Theresa is trying to acomplish:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/help-deciding-what-upgrade-383862/

At that buget I advised Theresa to swap out the speakers without upgrading to a bigger amp. I have the Avincar speakers running off the OEM HU and I think she can accomplish the same results with some aftermarket speakers only.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

... owned by the 5 min. edit limit....

I think you can consider the following for running off the OEM amp:

Alpine SPS-69C2
Boston Acoustics S95
Kenwood KFC-X690

at 80W-100W power levels I'd look for very efficient speakers, something in the 94db or higher range to get the same sound output level. Perhaps these:

Infinity Reference 9622i

Just my .
Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks again for the suggestions. I'm trying right now to get the best possible speaker that I will a) notice an improvement over stock, and b) will be the best bet for my money. Yes, there is a possibility of an amp replacement down the road, but certainly not in my short term goals. I saw those JL Audios on ebay and thought they looked like a good buy. Aside from size, Ohm impedence and watts, I'm not sure what else I should be looking for in the specs?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reach
T,

I encourage you not to spend money on these, but instead save it toward doing the fronts, or even better, get the mercman cable and go with an amp. Working on the 6x9s alone just isn't worth it.

If you'd like to describe what you're trying to accomplish, and how much your rough budget is, maybe we can help you get there in a better way.
I'm not strictly just trying to save money. I can afford higher-end replacements if I do it one step at a time, and by being able to do some of the steps myself, I can also acheive a sense of accomplishment, along with saving having to pay someone to do a simple step. I've read extensively about the TSXs weak amp, and what everyone else has done for replacements, but I've decided this is the best way for ME to go right now, based on my needs, wants, budget and priority. So all I really need for advice right now is whether the speakers I'm looking at for replacements are appropriate ones. You guys have all given some very good advice to others in the past, and I have utilized the search extensively, and came up with a plan that I think will work for me.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Jan, I can't recommend spending even $5 to replace the rears. You just don't get anything for it!

Theresa, consider doing a set of 2-way 6.5" component speakers for the front first. Find a set you like and I can talk you through it. There are very good pictorial threads here on how to remove the door panels, it really is quite easy. You can do it with a flat-head screwdriver, but if you buy a $5 panel-popper tool, it becomes child's play. I got one of these tools at a local autozone and it has served me well for years. You can make this install totally plug-and-play with cheap and easily available parts like Honda Accord plastic spacers and speaker harness plugs. Since we share these parts with the USDM accord, you can imagine there are tons of easily available parts to help you out.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Even if I were to attempt the front 6.5s myself, I think I'd rather start out with something simple first to get my feet wet. And the 6x9s I could do right now, today, or as soon as I got the speakers. The front doors will have to wail till this summer. I don't have access to a heated garage, and the idea of sitting out in my car with the doors wide open in the 15 degree weather with the snow blowing in isn't exactly enticing to me. And lastly, EVEN IF you insist that I would se absolutely NO improvement by replacing the rear decks, I think I'd feel weird knowing that I replaced only some of my stock speakers? It's like when you redo a room in your house. If you have one wall out of four that there really isn't anything wrong with, you wouldn't paint around it just because of that? That may not make sense to you, or seem like stupid logic, but that makes sense to me.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja
... owned by the 5 min. edit limit....

I think you can consider the following for running off the OEM amp:

Alpine SPS-69C2
Boston Acoustics S95
Kenwood KFC-X690

at 80W-100W power levels I'd look for very efficient speakers, something in the 94db or higher range to get the same sound output level. Perhaps these:

Infinity Reference 9622i

Just my .
Would you recommend something from this list OVER the JLs I asked about, or simply to broaden the list? If you did recommend them over the JLs, is there a reason? Is there another factor that I should be looking at besides just fit, Ohm, and watts?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by t_in_maine
It's like when you redo a room in your house. If you have one wall out of four that there really isn't anything wrong with, you wouldn't paint around it just because of that? That may not make sense to you, or seem like stupid logic, but that makes sense to me.
No T, I totally get it, but at the same time I'd like to encourage you to do work where it counts. If I can take the liberty of using your house analogy and running with it...

What you're suggesting to me is more like: You're in a nice house and you like it, but its cold because the heating system sucks. You're current strategy of the 6x9s would be to replace the hvac ducts with bigger piping and new registers. You're increasing the theoretical throughput, and you'll have nicer products in the house, but the problem will remain. You'll still be cold because the heater still sucks.

Now, replacing the front stage with good 2-way components; I'd liken that to turning the thermostat all the way up. You'll get the maximum 'heat' out of your current system possible given all the rest of the current constraints. Of course, the real solution is to replace the friggin heater itself. (amp). You know that but you're not ready to go that far yet. I totally understand, that's what I did myself.

When I had the TSX, I replaced my entire system piecemeal as well, but I went at it in this manner:

1. Wanted more bass: JL 250/1 + 10" DLS subwoofer. Removed rear 6x9s entirely.
2. Wanted cleaner soundstage: replaced front components, and later rear door 3-ways, with Infinity Kappa series speakers
3. Wanted to push the whole thing: Got a mercman cable and PG XS6600 amp, and re-wired the whole setup.

So, long post short: I just encourage you to piecemeal the system in a slightly different, more efficient manner. Just my , and if you really want to go your way of course we'd still be happy to try and help.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

For running off of the OEM amp, I probably would lean towards the Alpines. They are a better power match to the amp, and they've been used by others in the TSX aplication. Plus they are cheaper than the JLs leaving you more $$ for the front speakers. I have not heard the Kenwoods nor the Bostons and haven't seen anyone post about them, I listed them only due to their specs.

Disregard the Infinity Reference 9622i, they are 2-ohm speakers, something I missed when I first looked at them.

The JLs will outperform the other speakers I listed with the right power input. If you hook them up to the OEM amp chances are the bass volume will be somewhat reduced than what you're used to from the stock speakers. You can compensate for this by, a) boosting the bass equalizations, or b) fading the music back a bit, but both of those options result in somewhat of a compromise.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Reach, I'm trying to work in the confines of Theresa's $500-$600 budget.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Reach, what if I live in the midwest and I don't really need to turn the heat up very often? hehehe Anyways, I completely understand what you're saying, but in the long run, I just have to prioritize and while I can throw $100 - $140 here and there toward a set of speakers, I can't necessarily do the speakers and an amp all at once, and pay someone to do it. I'm not saying never, just not right now. I also need to go all around with replacement brakes pads & rotors this summer. Getting back to the amp thing, I guess my ignorance is allowing me to have the "an amp isn't important" attitude. I've never had a GOOD system, so I don't know what I'm missing.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja
For running off of the OEM amp, I probably would lean towards the Alpines. They are a better power match to the amp, and they've been used by others in the TSX aplication. Plus they are cheaper than the JLs leaving you more $$ for the front speakers. I have not heard the Kenwoods nor the Bostons and haven't seen anyone post about them, I listed them only due to their specs.

Disregard the Infinity Reference 9622i, they are 2-ohm speakers, something I missed when I first looked at them.

The JLs will outperform the other speakers I listed with the right power input. If you hook them up to the OEM amp chances are the bass volume will be somewhat reduced than what you're used to from the stock speakers. You can compensate for this by, a) boosting the bass equalizations, or b) fading the music back a bit, but both of those options result in somewhat of a compromise.
I've added the Alpine's to my cart @ Crutchfield, however they say they don't fit? Although, I've seen this a lot when looking for items @ Crutchfield. Is it just because they're 2-ways?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Team Owner

I've added the Alpine's to my cart @ Crutchfield, however they say they don't fit? Although, I've seen this a lot when looking for items @ Crutchfield. Is it just because they're 2-ways?
Don't know why that is. Shouldn't be because they're 2-way speakers. "Don't fit" to me means that the dimensions are off (too deep or the mounting holes don't line up) but they've been used by others in the TSX so I'm stumped.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Team Owner

Check out these threads:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/tsx-speaker-replacement-priorities-354427/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...40#post5280240

Both minkl81 and ri0tnerrrrrd used those in the rear deck and didn't say anything about them not fitting. Maybe you can PM one/both of them and ask.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Crutchfield says lots of things don't fit and they are wrong. Conversely, occasionally they also say things do fit that don't.

Their guidelines should not be followed (as a general rule) and are only kept updated for the most commonly updated of cars (civic, accord, corolla, camry... you get the idea).

Rely on car specific forums like this one and installer bays such as the12volt.com for good advice on that front.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I ordered them because they're on special for $50. If it turns out they're not going to fit, I can always return them. But I wanted to get them now before the special is over.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM
for EVER more!

T-in-Maine - did you get the alpines installed yet? How does the sound compare? I'm in the same boat as you. I was looking at the Infinitys or Boston Acoustics as well - i dont want to install an amp, i just want a bit more bass in the rear deck with a little work

also going to do the USA Spec for controlling my iPhone.

Wanted to see your thoughts...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't got them in yet; been too cold here. First warm weather day I'll have them in.